I need your help, ladies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiedrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Unfortunately, some of us have to work until 67 before we can claim our pension. Hence the reason for my enquiry.

Please, can you give me some advise. I want to do hairdressing regardless of my age (57). I currently work as a beautician and I cannot afford to give up work to train full time in hairdressing.

I have seen numerous part time courses such as NVQ 1 and also private academies ie House of Clive? Reflections?

Can any of you give me info where to train.

My aim on qualification is to work for myself during my retirement. My guess is that people will want someone much younger doing their hair. Therefore, I will work for the older generation. thanks:)

I am currently doing an adult fast track NVQ 2 which takes a year and is 13 hours per week (2 days) if thats any use.

It will depend on where you live and what the local colleges offer but here in derby there are private options as well as colleges - the adult fast track is what you are looking for as its a no placement course (there could also be a VRQ option but i have no clue the difference).

And gents please :)

Agreed it depends on where you live, but don't cut out the younger generation in your market, there is a local stylist in my area who is in her 60's, she has all age groups go to her. I have been to her, and if I was unable to be fitted in at work I would visit her salon for anything I needed.
I know where you are coming from on the age groups, but you must remember that your training will be up to date, not stagnant and old like many older stylists.

Best of luck xoxo

That would be fab. I wonder if I could go straight to level 2 as I have done beauty? x

Yes you should be able to go straight to nvq2 x

I should think you should be able to go straight on and do your NVQ level 2 in hairdressing.
For what its worth, massive respect to you!
I live in Gloucestershire and I know GlosCol run evening courses and part time courses to get you to level 2.
Do you work in a salon doing beauty at the moment? If so, is there a hair side in it?
Best of luck to you
xxx

Latest posts

Back