I think I've been taught wrong how to do patch tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloester

Reaction score
I think I have been taught wrong on how to do patch tests
For eyebrow/eyelash tinting I was told to make up my dye as I would for tinting the apply some onto a patch of skin i.e inner elbow, wrist or behind the ear and leave for 3 minutes then wipe off with a wet cotton pad
But when I do it doesn’t leave a stain
Should it?
This is what my lecturer taught me to do but I can’t help but feel it’s wrong
How do you all conduct patch tests?

That's how I have been taught too at college.

I was taught to put the patch test behind clients ear and just leave it on. In over 15 years I've only had two reactions to tint tests and both clients said it took a few hours to feel the effects.

I was taught to do it behind the ear in the hair line and leave it on,that was with city and guilds a long time ago.My daughter who did NVQ at college the same, and that was about 7 years ago.

so should it leave a stain on the skin? it doesn't when i do it?

I think you need to leave it on really because even the most careful removal from the eyes can leave residue behind.Ive never had one tint reaction in 30 odd years.Not to say you can't be too careful though as allergies do seem to be on the increase.

Same here. A little dot behind the ear and leave it on.

I say leave it on for about 24 hours you can't say more than that really as most people wash their hair everyday now.
Any reaction especially if they are severely allergic would show by then.They can get someone to have a look for redness or they will feel itchy.I think its better in the hairline behind the ear as its nearer to facial skin I think inside the elbow the skin is thicker and more resistant.
Also if they are leaving it on it will stain and may also get on their clothes.
I always use black or blue black as its the darker colours that contain more of the ingredient people are allergic to.

Last edited:
I leave it on for 3-5 mins, I pop it on, get them to fill out & sign record card, tell them what to look out for in a reaction & wipe it off with dry cotton wool. Not always but 95% of the time it leaves a small stain.

To add, on my billion dollar brow training they told us of someone having a reaction over 2 days later. Ive changed my patch test to 72 hours before any treatment now. Although at college I was told 24 hours prior.

Xx

I recently trained on VRQ level and they say u should do a patch test 24 hrs beforehand...several minutes of leaving the dye on doesn't indicate if the person will hv a reaction...this can happen hrs after

Your insurance company may well have their own instructions for how they require a patch test to be done.Also how often many now require before EVERY tint.

I leave it on for 3-5 mins, I pop it on, get them to fill out & sign record card, tell them what to look out for in a reaction & wipe it off with dry cotton wool. Not always but 95% of the time it leaves a small stain.

To add, on my billion dollar brow training they told us of someone having a reaction over 2 days later. Ive changed my patch test to 72 hours before any treatment now. Although at college I was told 24 hours prior.

Xx

where do you feel is best to apply it?

BABTAC, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology

This from BeautyGuild.
9 EYELASH AND EYEBROW TINTING
the INSURED will perform a sensitivity patch test on the client using the exact substance that is to be applied during the eyelash or eyebrow tint at least 24 hours before applying the client’s eyelash or eyebrow tint for the first time and will not proceed with the treatment if the results of the test are not satisfactory

i always do it 24 hours or more before a treatment normally in the inner elbow and leave for 3 minutes it was just the fact it didnt stain i thought i was doing it wrong

some people have said leave it 24 hours!? surely you cant leave dye on someones skin for 24 hours it would stain clothes and irritate the skin?
would it not?

I normally do it behind the ear and tell them to leave it ... If I did it evening I would say leave till morning if I did it morning I would say leave it till tonight or even morning xx

I normally do it behind the ear and tell them to leave it ... If I did it evening I would say leave till morning if I did it morning I would say leave it till tonight or even morning xx

would you not be worried about it dying hair or staining clothes? to me that just seems way to long to leave tint on the skin xx

would you not be worried about it dying hair or staining clothes? to me that just seems way to long to leave tint on the skin xx

Doing the patch test behind the ear won't stain any clothes tho. As mentioned already it is much safer to leave the tint on for at least 24 hours as reactions can take hours.

Nicola! Xxx

If you are happy doing it your own way then do that then.

Latest posts

Back