I will try once again with this question (please)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caz3

Reaction score
Hello All,
I trained at the Herts and Essex Academy last year I have the chance to go on and do my City and Guilds with them but have to let them no if I am going to do it within 6 months of my course. I have to tell them April time.

Do you think it is a good idea to do my city and guilds?

I have 2 years to complete it I have to do 12 lots of nails 3 gel, 3 Acrylic, 3 f/g and I think 3 silk. I then have to have a practical exam and a written exam.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
I DO KNOW THIS IS UP TO ME IF I DO IT OR NOT BUT I JUST THOUGHT SOME FEEDBACK OFF SOME OF YOU WOULD BE GREAT!

Caz3

Will your qualification at the end of it be an NVQ3?

sorry i dont know much about this stuff, but i will bump it up for you. xxx

I will ask about this I am not sure all it states is City and Guilds which is recognised around the world.

To tell the truth I thought City and Guilds had long gone I did this years ago as a hairdresser I thought NVQ had took the place of this! But it is the City and Guilds they offer.

Thanks very much for this I will let you know the answer when I find out.

Caz xxx

geeg said:

Thanks Dear anything that helps x

Caz xxx

NailStyle said:
sorry i dont know much about this stuff, but i will bump it up for you. xxx

I'm like you, I want to learn various beauty aspects as well as nails and was looking to do my courses with them but wasn't sure about the City & Guilds side of things.

I found the website for them :www.city-and-guilds.co.uk

There is a paragraph on there that says:
City & Guilds is the leading vocational awarding body in the UK, awarding almost 50% of all National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs). We are a global organisation, too, providing unique internationally recognised qualifications across the world through City & Guilds International.

But i'm still trying to get hold of them to confirm if its either a city and guilds or nvq or both!

Have you got there Phone Number if not I can find it out for you. I emailed them yesterday to ask them to put some papers in the post to me so I will see if they do this.

I know the City and Guilds is taken at the Stansted Academy which is better for me I had to go to the Herts Academy for my course as I needed to do it in a week the Stansted one could not fit me in! So I had to stay in a B&B for the 4 days.

I was given 6 months from the course to make up my mind if I wanted to do the City and Guilds time is running out for me LOL!

Thanks I will look at the website one I cook this Curry that should be ready soon LOL!!!!!

Caz xxx
Stacey P said:
I'm like you, I want to learn various beauty aspects as well as nails and was looking to do my courses with them but wasn't sure about the City & Guilds side of things.

City & Guilds is the leading vocational awarding body in the UK, awarding almost 50% of all National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs). We are a global organisation, too, providing unique internationally recognised qualifications across the world through City & Guilds International.

But i'm still trying to get hold of them to confirm if its either a city and guilds or nvq or both!

It will give me a leval 3 unit for nail extensions after I have done the City and Guilds. Leval 2 unit for manicure.

Caz xxx
geeg said:

Hello I have just phoned Herts and Essex Academy up this is what they said when I asked if after doing the city and guilds would it be like having a NVQ3 she said
It will give me a leval 3 unit for nail extensions after I have done the City and Guilds. Leval 2 unit for manicure.

Caz xxx

Stacey P said:

This is not as confusing as you are all making it.

You don't get a 'city and guilds', you get an award given BY City and Guilds. This award will be an NVQ or an award that follows the exact same criteria as the NVQ. Does that make sense to everyone?

To put it another way -- there is no such thing as an award called 'city & guilds', the award is the NVQ (Nails level3 is another way of saying it) given by the awarding body known as City & Guilds.

City & Guilds is a very old established name as a training provider in the field of education.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Thanks geeg, that clears it up perfectly. I shall be looking in to their courses now that I know its the correct qualification.

Thanks so if I do it I will have the NVQ3 is this right?

I did say I thought City and Guild was the new NVQ in my post as I was a hairdresser years ago and this is what I took.

Caz

geeg said:
This is not as confusing as you are all making it.

You don't get a 'city and guilds', you get an award given BY City and Guilds. This award will be an NVQ or an award that follows the exact same criteria as the NVQ. Does that make sense to everyone?

To put it another way -- there is no such thing as an award called 'city & guilds', the award is the NVQ (Nails level3 is another way of saying it) given by the awarding body known as City & Guilds.

City & Guilds is a very old established name as a training provider in the field of education.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

caz3 said:
Thanks so if I do it I will have the NVQ3 is this right?

I did say I thought City and Guild was the new NVQ in my post as I was a hairdresser years ago and this is what I took.

Caz

Yes, as explained above you will have the NVQ3 or the equivilent.

City and Guilds is NOT the new NVQ it is the training provider (the body that gives out the award) for the new NVQ, there are many provideers like City & Guilds who also award the NVQ3.

Hello so have you done any training with Herts and Essex?

I think I will do my City and Guilds Award with them I have already done the Professional Diploma in Nail Technology with them it would be a shame to waist money and not go onto the City and Guilds.

I have to pay up front £50.00 this is for Registration fees then another £50 plus VAT per subject for portfolio guidance and assessment. I will do the manicure and nail extensions. You do not pay for the portfolio/assessment until you are ready to do this.

I have to build up a portfolio containing treatment records (12 of each treatment) so 12 manicures and 12 nail extensions a mixture of gel, acrylic, f/g and silk. case studies of each and written assignments. you are allowed a max of 2 years to complete this.

Caz xxx

Stacey P said:
Thanks geeg, that clears it up perfectly. I shall be looking in to their courses now that I know its the correct qualification.

No I haven't yet, doing my creative foundation on the 4th April but i'm also looking for other places to learn nails and maybe waxing etc to expand my services to future clients when I start up.

Hi Caz

Geeg has explained the difference accurately but another point I can add: from what you have described they are offering the artificial nails part of NVQ 3 Nail Services. This is actually 2 Units (in effect application is 1 and maintenance is another) This is only part of a full NVQ3.

Manicure is in the Level 2 and most Awarding Bodies are making it a requirement for taking Level 3. This, again, is a part of a full level of 7 Units.

This is absolutely fine if it is what you want. The full NVQ is 7 units (maybe 8 but think 7)

The application unit requires fully competance in all 3 systems plus sculpting and needs to be done over time. The maintenance unit also includes 'remedial repair' (i.e improving damaged nails, repairing broken ones etc) and they both need to be taken together (as application leads to maintenance)
Any clearer?

Bless you Mum.

So glad you returned from New York to explain that thoroughly!!

:hug:

I have just got off the phone from them and they have said that the City & Guilds is an actually qualification, it isn't a NVQ, VTCT etc. I did ask if it was an NVQ but a city & guilds is on an equivilent to the VTCT.

To get your City & Guilds award you have to complete 14 treatments in the area your training eg waxing, nails. with before and after photos and therory. There is a £50 registration fee and a £50 assessment fee per unit. The courses hours are 9.30-3.30.

I was asking about the courses for Waxing, Facials, Manicure/Pedicure and Lash / Brow tinting as I'm going to be doing my NVQ with Creative for my nails.

Yes I have all the paper work for this as I have done my nail course with them and manicure.

Coral the women at Stansted just told me it will be a unit from the nvq3 nail exstensions and a unit from nvq2 for the manicure.

Mum has explained all to me now and I know I will not be doing a full NVQ3 only 1 unit of it.

Caz.

Stacey P said:
I have just got off the phone from them and they have said that the City & Guilds is an actually qualification, it isn't a NVQ, VTCT etc. I did ask if it was an NVQ but a city & guilds is on an equivilent to the VTCT.

To get your City & Guilds award you have to complete 14 treatments in the area your training eg waxing, nails. with before and after photos and therory. There is a £50 registration fee and a £50 assessment fee per unit. The courses hours are 9.30-3.30.

I was asking about the courses for Waxing, Facials, Manicure/Pedicure and Lash / Brow tinting as I'm going to be doing my NVQ with Creative for my nails.

Oh dear, here I am again to complicate things :o

City & Guilds do have specific certificates that can be collected in to a Diploma. They are not NVQ (but are based on them, although I don't think they have caught up with the new ones yet) This is exactly what VTCT and ITEC do i.e they have NVQ qualifications and their own qualifications.

All of them are fine (the differences would take a whole 'essay') My personal opinion is try to take an NVQ unit or Level where possible (there is a funding issue too) but that does not mean that others are not worth it.

It sounds like I'm sitting on the fence here but I'm not. Accessibility is important and they are all good (depending on the teacher) but, if you have the option, I prefer the NVQ route. It is usually ahead of the independant qualifications, is funded and has Government support (whichever government may be around at the time)

I get confused sometimes too :eek:

Latest posts

Back