I Wish I Knew...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Guild

Reaction score
When you took the decision to become a beauty therapist/holistic therapist/nail tech/business owner, what one thing do you wish you knew?

What's the vital bit of knowledge that you have now, that you wish you'd had then? What nuggets would you pass on to someone in the same position?

the amount of work involved, as beauty still has a reputation for being really easy and more for practically minded people, so many people deciding to study for beauty join up thinking its a hobby that they will learn to paint nails, wear make up etc, but dont realise the amouunt of theory and studying thats needed and constant practise, thats one area i definitely think should be explained to all students before they decide to embark on the course.

I agree, the amount of theory is usually a shock to most students...but it's a fine line between explaining how much they will have to do and putting them off the course. The majority of people tend to underestimate their abilities and I wonder how many potential learners would be put off before they even started.

I start the Cert Ed (teaching course) in Sept, and have been trying to think of ways to make theory exciting and understandable to students, so any ideas will be gratefully received...lol.

Take care,

Sarah x

I wish I knew about this site!! Since joining here I have found out so much about different products/companies out there. I've spent an absolute fortune on products and now a year later (and Salongeek wiser) am changing most brands to more professional products - which is yet more money but in the long run well worth it!!

I would advise anybody starting out not to get too excited and rush out buying up everything they first see, try and take a back seat and RESEARCH!!! (and join Salongeek!!!)

x.

Absolutely agree with you Amanda. The amount of money wasted on things we will not need or hardly ever use. Also to try to remember that anyone trying to sell you anything is in business themselves and not trying to do you a favour so therefore do not just believe what they say about their products, do your research and look for reviews that are not on their own websites. This site is invaluable for that and will save you a fortune!

Sheila :)

I wish I had known that I would be successfull in this industry. I wasted a lot of time and energy worrying. I wish that someone would shout at the newly qualified on here;
IT TAKES YEARS OF PRACTISE TO BECOME A GREAT HAIRDRESSER NOT FIVE MINUTES.

i wish i'd known i'd have problems with nails at the begining . that its o.k not too be great when you first start. it doesnt mean you wont overcome them and be good eventually.

These are great guys, thank you.

Any more?

I wish I knew how damn complicated it would be!

When I opened my salon 8 months ago I thought I would put 100% effort into attracting in customers and build up the business. Unfortunately I didn't realise so much of this effort (and money!) would go into legalities and health and safety etc!:irked:

Health and safety
Fire risk assessment
Emergency evacuation policie
Risk assessments
MSDS
COSHH
Employment law
Operating a payroll
Pat testing
Fixed wiring testing
Emergency lighting
Fire alarm
PRS music licence
PCI DSS compliance
Fire extinguishers
etc etc etc!

Jes

Probably not what you are after, but I definitely wish I knew which reliable and helpful wholesalers to buy my salon equipment from! Salon equipment is hugely expensive and it does not pay to necessarily settle for items from a catalogue where the staff show no customer service what so ever!

On another note, the amount of work ie. theory/ practical etc.... was never a problem for me before starting college and entering the beauty industry. I knew it was going to be a hard slog, so I was prepared.

Latest posts

Back