I'm doing very well, thanks for asking!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Duffy

Reaction score
As there are so many doom laden threads & the whole world seems to believe we'll be scavenging food from the bins & stealing our clothes from tramps before the weeks out I thought I'd start this positive thread! In fact, one of my clients said yesterday how nice it was talking to someone who actually had something positive to say rather than all the doom-mongering she was getting in the other shops & businesses she had visitied!

Basically, I thought it would be nice to hear what's going right in people's businesses right now & whether they have plans in place for the development of their businesses. I'm currently seeing an upturn in facials & retail of skincare. I also did a quick phone around yesterday to update my client's details & in the process took a couple of hundred pounds of bookings - not bad for a couple of phonecalls!

However, I am already anticipating February, which is traditionally my slowest time of year, and am planning to launch an exciting new body treatment mid-January for February uptake, i.e. the valentine's market.

Anybody else?

Its strange, on the day we are about to officially enter a recession I'm doing lots of things.

I really want to get the waxing off the ground now, so on Sunday I am doing a Health & Beauty show in Wolverhampton Civic Hall. I've had a roll-up banner made up to make sure everyone knows I'm there and what I'm doing. Great for in-salon or event advertising, and at less then £60 an absolute bargain.

I'm also really excited about some artwork I have had commissioned to promote the waxing!

And finally I am working with one of the larger local gyms to do some advertising in there to try and get their members to go smooth!

And I'm finally getting back on track to build up the training side of business, so all in all rather busy busy! And I'm really excited about it all.

Mat xx

I am hopefully expanding my business very early next year and I am looking at the different options for staff at the moment:eek:

I am updating all my clients details in the next 2 weeks and sending out a newsletter and setting up text alerts.

I am also looking at new retail products and new services to offer now that I will have more flexibility.

Look out Andy my darling you may need another trip to Scotland to teach me Male Waxing.

I have had a quiet October and have used it to get organised, have a few days impromptu holiday with my kids and enjoy the rest before the onslaught.

Great thread Martin:hug:

Its interesting that you mention facials are on the up...because I have seen a down turn in those(could be what im using I guess)but the clients who have/had facial treatments are now booking in more for massge and I believe this is because although facials are seen as a luxury to some and at the present time clients feel that they cant justify spending xxx on their face, a full body massage is justified because they are seeing to the whole of their body and thus receiving value for money. For some people, I guess their credit cards are now full!!

Plans for me up and coming...still waiting to find a salon to take over or suitable premises to start up. I have literature for aesthetic courses that are happining in oct/nov, along with looking through the biosculpture info.

I have revamped and changed/ommited treatments from my price list to concentrate on whats going well,dropping treatments that dont do so well.
:)

ARGHHH. I just posted (IMO) a brilliant loooooong reply to this and the wifi munched the reply!!!

If I have time later, Ill recreate. The jist is this:

Our industry has always grown during recessions (which come along once a decade). Buying into the sensationalism is the only real threat to our industry.

Hence the reason we are still growing strong :)

ARGHHH. I just posted (IMO) a brilliant loooooong reply to this and the wifi munched the reply!!!

If I have time later, Ill recreate. The jist is this:

Our industry has always grown during recessions (which come along once a decade). Buying into the sensationalism is the only real threat to our industry.

Hence the reason we are still growing strong :)
This post just inspires me!!! I am the dancing queen and I will make my business my own, sod the rescession!!

Exactly Sam - I've said it before but it bears repeating:
Hold your nerve, people! Get creative with your marketing and advertising - don't cut back on this, this is eactly the time you need your name out there!

A recession is the best time to take stock of your buisness..look at operating costs and formulate strategies for moving your business forward through adding additional services (diversification)

In some cases the term "recession" is used as an excuse to justify why a business isn't doing well ...this is a time when we should all step things up a notch or two...our competitors could well be in the doldrums from over extending their operating costs or simply being negative.

There is a rhythm in business and for those that really focus and get out there and "do it" during a recession period that somehow manage to grow their business and are therefore well placed as the recession recedes.

There are very few business that are completely recession proof however that doesnt mean that we cant drive our businesses forward and actually expand during this cycle.
Clearly ,from the postings above ,this is happening..well done and keep thinking positive :hug:

Basically said:
how do your clients respond to being called to update their data?

Martin, I thank you for posting this. Its brilliant!
Just what we need to hear.

I have had a rethink like spring-cleaning, and am shedding old treatments and bringing in new treatments.

I'm launching gerards' body and face treatments next month.

I've had a few clients beg me for some pampering as they are sick to the backteeth of the CC words.

My training is going really well, I now have 9 courses passed for accreditation through the Guild and will (hopefully) have 2 more passed by next week. I've been quietish at work so have turned a negative into a positive and pushed ahead with manual writing.

I'm looking forward to having a week off for half term, got one 2 hour appointment in tomorrow then off! going to spend the time getting ready for the Open Evening that I am having to launch the gerard's.

So, pat on the back for you all for pointing out the positives! :green:

This is a great post, i work alone but have dedcided that i am losing a few clients to not been able to answer the phone and been closed for lunch etc, i have alot of Dermalogica stock on my shelves approx €20k when its all sold but i overstock myself to much and its having an effect on my bank account so im sending the products that wont sell for me back, iv made a promise to myself i wont but as much stock next year as i dont need it, i never advertise and feel i need to alot so im going to the bank getting money and expanding, getting a part time girl for walk ins and phone answering, and another girl 3 days a week for other treatments how i can take a little time off, my rent is pittens and my premises is in the most beautiful location EVER. im getting new brochures, advertisting on my car, a laser machine, new stands, new signage etc doing up my rooms aswell slightly, but im gona be concentrating on giving great treatments and great value during this recession, i know its another loan over my head and quiet a large one but im only 22 and think by the time im 27 all will be paid for and il still be very young, What do u think am i mad????:green:

Divalou, all of them were fine about it, in fact some of them said they'd been meaning to ring but kept forgetting. I explained that I was overhauling my records of addresses so that when I send out their birthday discount vouchers they go to the right place, thus ensuring they don't miss out on any special offers!

It's great to hear that others have exciting plans in the pipeline for their businesses! I agree that this is the perfect time to re-assess our markets & concentrate our efforts. Oftentimes the greatest things are born of hard times, we all need that little bit of challenge to stop us from getting complacent!

Last edited:
It makes a refreshing change to hear a thread from a positive angle. To be honest I'm getting a bit fed up myself of reading all the negative threads.

I am by nature a 'glass half full' person & get quite irritated by negativity. What people should be doing with their quiet time is think ahead to what they can do to keep clients interested & motivated & spending, not moan & groan about it all.

If they come across as all doom & gloom to their clients, it could be that that puts clients off coming back.

Anyway, we have our 17th anniversary coming up next month & I am introducing a new body treatment from Spa Journey.

I've been busy putting my November newsletter together which I know from my previous newsletters will generate a substantial income.

We've also been busy this week sending out letters to clients who haven't been in for a while. This has generated no end of phone calls & quite a bit of immediate income. When you factor in the future income aswell, it's been extremely worthwhile.

I go to monthly business networking events locally & in the December's one I will be doing a 3 minute presentation on my business. With the talk I have in mind I reckon that should be productive.

At the end of the day you need to keep on promoting & stop the moaning.

Lovely to hear some positive comments!
I've had to re evaluate as I'm not getting enough clients being home based and would like colleagues to bounce ideas off. So I'm hopefully going to start renting a room in a salon in the next month, which I'm really looking forward to. There are lots of existing beauty treatment clients, who I can target for Complementary therapy treatments.
I'm 1/4 the way through doing ITEC in sports massage, so in the spring I'll have another treatment to offer.
I'm doing a pamper evening at a big hotel next week, so will hopefully meet lots of new people and turn them into regular clients.:) Also got a fete the beginning of November.
I'm feeling really positive and I'm not listening to all the negativity from the media.

I'm taking steps to diversify my business beyond its core of IT consulting, just in case there is a lack of contract work next year; I've already started doing a fair bit of web design this year, as well as formulating plans to design a Java-based salon management software system (which sadly I haven't had much time to do anything much on yet); the guinea pig site I designed earlier this year gave me a chance to play around with technologies that I might use for an online salon management system though...

I'm also seriously considering going more "pro" with my body painting and starting to promote it a bit more; even now I get the odd call from people wanting body painted models for promotions, or people painted up for TV shows etc... there are many ways in which I could promote the body painting side of things - including the painted models for promotions/TV side of things, and also painted characters or statues for parties etc, or a service where you could call to get painted up for a fancy dress party or whatever... even during a downturn, people still want to have fun, and if I price myself realistically, I might just have a chance of getting some good business...

I'm giving my salon a facelift after 12 years - new carpet, curtains, towels, cushions etc which will update it and make it more inviting to new and regular clients. It's all happening this week, can't wait to see how it looks once it's done!

Also we have just taken on a new range of organic skincare products and will be doing a promotion throughout november which is usually one of our quietest months. To launch the products and the new look salon we're having an evening event at the salon where we'll be selling silver jewellery and handbags as well as raising money by doing a raffle for Breakthrough Breast Cancer. And Bucks Fizz for our clients of course!

So it'll be a busy week for us and hopefully we'll take extra bookings for the next few weeks ahead by doing a 'get a discount on any treatments booked on the night' at our promotional evening.

Would you actually reply....hows the salon etc?? OOOh BAD.
Of course not. There are always moments of glory and downtimes in the industry.
Do you NEED to advertise this if you aren't doing too well??
No.
Keep working and training and keep GOING.
Too many techs are leaving atm.

I was doing a treatment on one of the hairdressers down stairs from me on saturday and she was saying how quiet I was workwise. She then said that this is the time of year that all of the past beauty therapists have jacked it in, and that they should just hang fire as it always picks up.

got my open evening next month too. trying to think of a really wow! treatment to offer for booking on that night only.
I've also said that all products are for sale and will be discounted for that night only, so hopefully people will remember to bring their purses with them!

Latest posts

Back