Interested in becoming male nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovelongnails

Reaction score
How would I go about this? I've always just done my own nails, but it'd be nice to make a living from my passion. Would I be well received as a straight male (with a massive passion for nails) in an almost exclusively female environment? What first steps should I take?

I've still never dared go to a salon to get my own nails done. :(

Don't know much about nails, but where I am I've seen a male nail tech in almost every nail bar!

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't know much about nails, but where I am I've seen a male nail tech in almost every nail bar!

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Were they gay or straight? I'm straight (even though I have long real polished nails most of the time). Would that freak the ladies out, having a straight man with nails?

I think you're over thinking it.

I don't ask a male techs sexuality I just want nice nails. There are many many straight men and gay men in the nail industry, but their sex and sexuality is irrelevant.

As you've never had your nails done, why not find a tech local to you and get a proper mani. I'm in a salon in the complete sticks and have requests from men for anything, from help with make up to waxing to nail extensions that can come off for their day job.

If you want to be a nail tech, go for it.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you're over thinking it.

I don't ask a male techs sexuality I just want nice nails. There are many many straight men and gay men in the nail industry, but their sex and sexuality is irrelevant.

As you've never had your nails done, why not find a tech local to you and get a proper mani. I'm in a salon in the complete sticks and have requests from men for anything, from help with make up to waxing to nail extensions that can come off for their day job.

If you want to be a nail tech, go for it.

Vic x

Thanks for the advice. The thought of going to a salon for the first time makes me a bit nervous, to be honest, but I have emailed a few local ones. Just waiting on their replies...

You will find someone on here, I'm sure. We're all over the place. Come up to the Midlands and we'd be glad to do you a mani!

Vic x

You will find someone on here, I'm sure. We're all over the place. Come up to the Midlands and we'd be glad to do you a mani!

Vic x

I might just do that! Thanks

I know a few nail techs that are straight males doesn't make a difference to me what gender you are if its your passion go for it 😊

Watch the young nails YouTube videos. They have a male nail tech demonstrating the treatments and he's great. Just for some inspiration!

Your not thinking about becoming a "male nail tech" you are a male who obviously has a passion for the nail industry & would like to become a "nail tech" gender really has nothing to do with it tbh. Straight or gay does it matter, in today's society, if your good at something that's what keeps them coming back!! What about Tom Bachik, quite a high profile tech with a lot of celebrity clientele, who doesn't exactly fit the "stereotype"

How would I go about this? I've always just done my own nails, but it'd be nice to make a living from my passion. Would I be well received as a straight male (with a massive passion for nails) in an almost exclusively female environment? What first steps should I take?

I've still never dared go to a salon to get my own nails done. :(

For someone who wants acceptance for you own idiosyncrasies, you certainly worry a lot about other people's sexuality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

I might just do that! Thanks

Just go for it, if a female went to do a plumbing course would people consider her to be gay? I know i wouldnt, your just doing what you love and enjoy doing.
Bare in mind if you take a college course you might have to cut your nails off for practical work as i had to 😞 x

Can I just point out that Mr Geek himself, (Sam Sweet) who set up this amazing site is also a highly respected award winning Nail Tech...

And never forget the legend that is Ketan Patel. :D

Many of the top techs in this industry are male...gay or straight, don't know, don't care lol A passion and dedication to training and education are what's important. Gender or sexuality doesn't come into it :)

Here at Calgel, one of our top educators is a male & gets the most fantastic response from the delegates in his training groups!

If you would like some info on our training courses then I would be more than happy to send you some details? I can also recommend someone in your area to give you a treatment :)

Alison

I have just finished course in London , and there was one male there he's done quite well too:)
Don't let it put you off:)

Check out greg from young nails hes incredible and straight, not that being gay or straight makes the slightest difference. Youll find him on youtube

Latest posts

Back