Interview for spa manager job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 67280

Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve recently been approached about an assistant spa manager job at a spa I used to work at. When I had a chat with a former colleague about it she mentioned the actual spa manager job had also become available and that I should go for it if I wanted to.

The trouble is, I’ve never had any management or supervisory experience, which the job advert asks for. Management at the hotel remember me and like that I was a good seller but I’m just not sure I’m going to stand a chance next to somebody who has done this kind of job before.

I’d really love some advice before I go to interview, just some ways to ensure they believe I can do the job, because once I learn a few things, I can!

By the way I’ve got 7 years experience in the industry and I’m 25 years old. The spa has been left in a bit of a mess staff wise so in theory the only way is up!

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like a good opportunity. You'll have an advantage because you know how the spa operates. It's sometimes hard to recruit people for high responsibility jobs in this industry so I'd say that you're in with a chance.

You should go for it. The fact that they already know and trust you is a massive bonus and there's a nationwide shortage of experienced therapists so you'll have a really good chance. Practice a few questions they might ask you before the interview like-

How would you deal with a difficult client who has turned up late for her Spa treatments and is complaining?

How would you plan to tackle a junior therapist who was continually late for her shift and not generally pulling her weight around the spa with cleaning her room, laundry etc.

You can look up interview questions online it really helps to make you feel more prepared.

Also talk lots about all the new skills and experience you've had since you left so that they know you'll be ready. Sometimes you just have to fake it till you make it!!

Well done,

It sounds like you have already made some headway with this job.

Just remember that an interview is a two way street. You are also assessing whether the spa is right for you. The questions you might have and wish to ask are:
  1. How will they support you?
  2. Will they give you any training you need?
  3. Will they guide you into your management role and help you with developing appropriate leadership styles?
  4. Does it look like the hotel has enough insight about what might be causing the "mess with the staff"?
  5. Are they prepared to help you to clean up "the mess" by learning from their past mistakes and doing things differently?
  6. Or do they expect you to clean up the mess on your own?
If you don't like any of the answers to your questions then that is your signal to perhaps have second thoughts about the kind of company or organization you could be joining.

By the way. There are plenty of spa management courses available. There are online versions and formal sit in the classroom ones. Will the hotel support you with formal spa management training?

Or will they just get you (a great senior therapist) in to sort it all out on the cheap? Unfortunately I've seen that the latter is more common.

Having the right level of management and leadership training is central to a spa's success.

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi SophieLee

Definitely put yourself forward - you'll learn loads from the interview of nothing else. However a manager role isn't something you can pick up by instinct and previous experience as a "worker".

The manager role is to increase profitability, reputation and demand whilst dealing with all the crappy day to day nitty gritty - like the staff member who's a lovely girl but who doesn't always wear make-up, or sometimes doesn't smell freshly showered. The great worker whose retail sales are poor. The girl who never clears up properly. The one that's prone to moods.

I can come into the salon and immediately spot dust or dirt, unfilled retail shelves, out of date or misspelled handwritten offers, fire questions at my receptionist about bookings and exchange a "how was your hen weekend" "those shoes aren't suitable, please don't wear them again", "everything set for that difficult treatment sequence we've got later today?" all before the kettle has boiled (my receptionist knows that's the first job when I arrive)

These little things can completely ruin a beauty business - but none of these things justify a manager's pay - that's a more office based role where you interpret reports about profitability and demand. For instance I've set up a dynamic availability scheduling system where we schedule particular appointments at certain times of the day. We've been able to increase our bookings and decrease our staffing ratios without stress - it improved profitability by 20%. That's why I'm the boss.

With your track record it sounds like the assistant manager role is an excellent next step for you, but you will need an experienced manager to support you. It can be a tough call deciding whether to retrain and upskill poor performing staff or replace them - you need someone to help you with that.

Latest posts

Back