Is 'Home Learn' enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jill e

Reaction score
ive loved nails since i was very little.i sent for the home learn kit from essential nails,ive enjoyed doing them and havent made too bad a job,but i lack so much confidence to apply any nails to anyone.i would love to make a career out of nails and my partner owns a hair salon,he said i could do my nails in there.does the confidence come? what if i mess up? do you think i should do more training in a college,maybe get one-to-one training?:sad:

I know exactly how you fell hun.

I haven't done the essential nails course so I can't comment, but I would recommend some kind of training at a college or acadamy as you will get more interaction from your tutor and other students which will build your confidence.

Once you have done your training, try to get family members or friends to volunteer to have their nails done, then it won't matter if you make a mistake or they don't turn out brilliant.

I have just had to throw myself in at the deep end and start doing clients, even though I don't think I am anywhere near as good as I want to be. I think it is the only way I will learn.

Everyone has to start somewhere!

Hi Jill

Welcome to the site, you'll find a wealth of information, support and nail addicts on here :D

Your first step would be to use the search option on here and read through some past posts, there are loads on training, confidence building and skills.

You've had a great start with the Essential nails course, now is probably the time to get some 1-2-1 or class room tutoring with someone to actually watch you work and correct any bad habits you might have slipped into.

Welcome aboard

jill where abouts in merseyside are you hun

If I was you I would go for some training from one of the top Big Three. That is Creative, Ezflow or NSI. College is cheaper, but not as good. And I know that from experience.

Hi Jill

i am doing it the other way round i have done the VCTC at college found it
quite helpful but still did not give me the confidence to be let loose on
full paying clients, what they do not teach you is confidence and that comes
from practice, practise, practise, at the moment im only charging client
half price until i feel that are to a satisfactory level to charge full price.
I am going to try the Creative Conversion course next year to build up
my skills, hope this helps, and whatever you decide good luck!.

julesx

hi there jill,
have you actualy finished the essential nails home learn course???

hello!!!

i learnt how to do nails at college on the Btec Beauty Therapy course but was having some problems with lifting etc with the people i was doing sets for a tenner for like my friends friends etc. so i went to the local salons and asked if i could do some work experiance with them, the 6th one(!) said yes and i started doing a friday with her and just watching her working and how she applied the products etc and all the little tips she gave me have been a godsend. the best way she taught me all the little tricks of the trade (that they don't show you at college!) was to get me to do her infills and talk me through it, i now do all the beauty treatments but nails is definately my thing. and i still do a friday with her and i've been there just over a year now!

jill e said:
ive loved nails since i was very little.i sent for the home learn kit from essential nails,ive enjoyed doing them and havent made too bad a job,but i lack so much confidence to apply any nails to anyone.i would love to make a career out of nails and my partner owns a hair salon,he said i could do my nails in there.does the confidence come? what if i mess up? do you think i should do more training in a college,maybe get one-to-one training?:sad:
Hiya, i bought the Essential Nails Home Learn L&P Course in September & couldnt really motivate myself to do it & still lacked confidence, i think it works for some people & not for other, i have booked on Creative Nail Academys l&p Foundation Course it starts next week & im really looking forward to getting some hands on training & expert classroom tuition, having said that i do think the home learn course has given me some good infomation & a good start. I also lack confidence & i think this is one of the reasons why home learn didnt work for me, although i do wish id never bothered with the home learn course & just gone straight to creative as it would have saved me £400!! you are in an ideal position being able to nails in your partners salon so go for it!!!
Love shelley xx

Im doing the essential nails course too, just started it but I am finding it very interesting, intended to do an hour the other day and had to force myself to stop eventually cos I was so into what I was doing. I might go on to do further courses when I have finished this but will wait and see

Question is when is anything ever enough when it comes to training.No matter how much you do you always feel that there is a need for a little more.
You've done your basic so perhaps all you need now is a little tweaking and confidence boosting by getting to grips with some real flesh.
Good luck hun,i wish you all the best.
Lou x

The very first course I ever did to do with nails was the EN. I found it a godsend and would have never passed my nvq on L&P without it. You are advised to do at least 300 nails before your work is sent in, don't know how many others do that amount but it does help.

If you are wanting to do it to see if nails is really for you then it is ideal, not too expensive, you can work around a job, kids and housework. The main thing is you really have to be serious about doing the training from home. Give yourself goals etc to work towards and before you know it you can send them off to be marked.

Then when you have completed the course and decided you adore nails then you can look into the bigger names and further your experience.

When you learn to tip a nail trainer you can tip anything. LOL

Take care xx

Hi hunny.
I did the essentials course. I also felt how you are feeling. If you can go find another tech to have a 1-2-1 with, jump at the chance. Until then, practise on anyone who will sit still long enough. (As long as you follow correct hygene procedures and go gently with the filing you shouldnt do actual damage)
Remember to keep practising on your nail trainer as often as you can. I would do one nail here and there whenever I had a spare 20min.
It is important not to fall into bad habits so really do try to get another tech to oversee your work.

Latest posts

Back