Is my price list too high?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this web site and a new nail technichian and am trying to launch my own business working from home and mobile, whichever is convenient for my clients. I have put together a stylish and eye catching brochure but have been advised by a couple of people that my prices are too high for a newie to the industry. I have researched local salon and mobile tech prices and based mine accordingly. I do a couple of friends regularly at the mo and they are happy with the work I do and have stated that they are happy to pay my prices. Plus I was advised by the successful salon I trained with that it is often very difficult to increase prices later if you start off with low ones just because you are new. Sorry for the waffle but a bit of a dilemma for me as I want to earn an honest living, the work is skilful but I don't want to under or overcharge. Any suggestions or advice?

Firstly welcome to Geekdom :D you'll soon be addicted as well as finding out loads of info.

when you say you are a new nail tech... how long have you been qualified?

what kind of differences are there between your prices and those of techs who have been qualified for a lot longer in your local area?

these things are going to be important when you set your prices.

x

Mrs.Clooney said:
Hi, I am new to this web site and a new nail technichian and am trying to launch my own business working from home and mobile, whichever is convenient for my clients. I have put together a stylish and eye catching brochure but have been advised by a couple of people that my prices are too high for a newie to the industry. I have researched local salon and mobile tech prices and based mine accordingly. I do a couple of friends regularly at the mo and they are happy with the work I do and have stated that they are happy to pay my prices. Plus I was advised by the successful salon I trained with that it is often very difficult to increase prices later if you start off with low ones just because you are new. Sorry for the waffle but a bit of a dilemma for me as I want to earn an honest living, the work is skilful but I don't want to under or overcharge. Any suggestions or advice?

hello. i'm in the same boat as you.....i'm quite new to this and i started doing only friends and family for a small price. i've now had hubby print up some leaflets and buisiness cards for me (i'm mobile and at home) and now charge £20 set enhancements, £15 rebalance £10 luxury manicure £5 mini manicure etc etc. hope this helps.

maybe once i've built up a good clientel, i'll increase prices, but seems to work well for me at the moment as my prices are very competetive.

i forgot to ask....what are you prices

hi emma i think that your prices are very could and i know as i am from kent but i live out in germany.

so when i go back home i have been looking at the prices inthe shops and i can say that some are good and others arent.
so keep the good work up and it will soon pay off, and another thing is that alot of peaple like to have someone that is mobile, but dont forget that you have to get to them so dont under cut yourself.

Hi ya and welcome:)

well i think if you have done your research then you have priced accordingly. TBH i think its more to do with the quality of work you are producing than the amount of time you have been qualified.

Ask your self if you would be happy to pay for the quality of nails you are producing?? I have seen some techs who have been doing it for years and they charge loads because they are "experienced" and their nails are quite frankly atrocious.

If you want to attract more business you could run an offer for new clients £5 off etc and for your existing clients recommend me a friend and i will give them £5 off and you £5 off your next appt. Just a suggestion i don't know how you are priced.

Don't forget your retail stock start as you mean to go on don't let them go buy from boots or you are putting your profit into boots tills!

Start with polish remover, cuticle oil, files buffers and topcoats. Its nice easy money with not a lot of work.

i have just started up as Mobile and home too ! i have done a price list and listed the full prices but at putting 25 % discount on a full set ! so the clients know they are getting some discount and they will know how much my prices will be when the discount ends

lynda green said:
i have just started up as Mobile and home too ! i have done a price list and listed the full prices but at putting 25 % discount on a full set ! so the clients know they are getting some discount and they will know how much my prices will be when the discount ends
Thats a god idea - to put your prices as they will be when you feel you are experienced and give a discount (people love anything thats discounted!!). Good luck.

thanks kateyyork1 !
also Mrs clooney i have done my cards and price lists on the computer ! it is lots cheaper just the price of some nice card which i got for £7 for 250 at a local office supplies !
i am no computer wiz but i found it quite easy and fun ! we have word perfect and it has templates set up so you just put all your info on it and you can change it when ever you like you prices or special offers !!!!!

lynda green said:
thanks kateyyork1 !

Pleasure Lynda. I have just done my new price lists on Microsoft Publisher - they look really professional - and as Lynda says, works out alot cheaper - just ink and paper really. definately worth thinking about doing them yourself.

Thank you so much for your input so far. I am taking in the varying opinions. To answer some of your questions:-
I'm not sure giving you my price list would help as I think it depends on area and I am in a fairly expensive zone (close to London) but I have only been qualified a couple of months.
I like the idea of offering discounts to begin with so that I can entice customers so that they can see what I can do.
My brochure was done on Microsoft Publisher and has come out beautifully, thanks to the help of a friend. I am doing her next set of infills for free.

Latest posts

Back