Is this actually legal???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Reaction score
My friend went to a local salon for a pedicure, once there and chatting to the girl doing the pedicure she found out she was only 15 years old. She explained that she was fully trained etc, but was filling in for the beautician who was on holiday. Then my friend booked in for a spray tan after the girl said the beauticain would be back the next week, but when she turned up it was the 15 year old who did the spray tan.
She was charged full price for her treatments.
I was just wondering if this was ok to do this or not, I wouldn't have thought the insurance would cover her since she is so young.
Any ideas anyone?? Not going to report her or anything, just curious.
Thanks,
Jen x

no i wouldnt think that any insurance company would insure a 15 year old. I also wouldnt have thought that a 15 year old could get a certificate either. I may be wrong though. You can go to college at 15 but i think you must be 16 by the time you qualify xx

That is what I thought, she is still at school so may have done a few private courses, but I still wouldn't think they would train someone so young x

i was on a nail art course yesterday where someone brought this up and we were told that a person of any age could do the NSI qualification but could not get an SQA one until 16 and prob wouldnt be able to get insurance xx

Just to work in a shop requires individual insurance at 15. That is, for every employee under 16 they have to pay an individual premium of several hundred pounds, this is why most shops will not employ under 16s. They can only work a certain number of hours a week also.

I would not imagine that any insurance company would insure for treatments by a 15 year old so this situation is a bit tricky! I don't think that it can be classed illegal in the eyes of the law but it certainly is very unwise! :) xxx

i was on a nail art course yesterday where someone brought this up and we were told that a person of any age could do the NSI qualification but could not get an SQA one until 16 and prob wouldnt be able to get insurance xx
I teach in an FE college - we do not accept applications for any courses from anyone who is not 16 by the end of the July preceeding the September the course commences. This will be partly due to the way the college receives its goovernment funding. This is for all courses including GCSE resits. Do C&G/Edexcel etc not have age requirements for enrolling on beauty therapy courses?

Yeah it looks like she has probably done the courses privately.
I think her mum owns the salon so she is just earning extra pocket money.
Not sure how this stands insurance wise lol but thanks for the info x

Just out of curiosity, did your friend enjoy her pedicure?

Just out of curiosity, did your friend enjoy her pedicure?

lol, yes she did :) although the tan was very orange on her hands and feet x

It is legal. I started spray tanning at the age of 15 years old & also qualified in Mani,Pedi, Lash and brow tinting. I was also able to gain insurance.

Just because she is 15 never assume she isnt good as other beauticians. Im 17 now and many clients know my age and come to me for tans because they know im good at what i do.

Just to add why should she not charge full price? Shes working and trained and doing exactly what the other therapist would have done!

With the new diplomas.14 year olds will be able to take beauty therapy as part of their school option choice.Not sure what they will learn exactly at that age but it is an ongoing course.I think they can continue it until 19.

I have always been under the impression that insurance is not a legal requirement in the UK. In fact I'm sure I read that on Babtac's website, although I can't see it on there now.

Employing under 16's is another matter. The extra insurance may be employers liability, whereas the treatment insurance we have, is to protect the client.

As for the cost of the treatment, it's fairly irrelevant in my opinion, if the treatment is good there is no reason why it should be cheaper...

And she may well have a natural aptitude. At least she's working. Many kids that age think the world owes them a living and don't want to work, in fact wouldn't dream of working, never mind on someones feet!

I am reading this thread with interest as my daughter is begging me to let her start training. She wants to learn make up.

I also do not think treatments should be cheaper by a younger person. My first job was as an executive officer in the civil service. I was 20. Because of my age I was put one spine point below the normal entry point. One of my colleagues (19) was put 2 points below. It took him 2 years to get to everyone else's starting point. I bet they don't do that know and looking back we could probably have fought them and got that rule changed. It is just so wrong now I think back with more worldly wise eyes. Also thousands of pounds that we missed out on.

Ok, maybe legal is a strong word to use lol, I was really just curious if this was common practice or not as I hadn't realised you could work under the age of 16.
I only mentioned the price to indicate it wasn't a trainee price that is all. Didn't mean to offend anyone who is or has done the same thing.
I agree it is great that she is doing this rather than what some teenagers do, and from what my friend says she was very professional.

Thanks again for all the info xx

I agree. It is fantastic to see young people who are doing something constructive.

I think I shall let my daughter start training lol.

i suppose the main thing is if she is good at what she is doing..
if she is then she has must have been trained at some point so i dont see why she should charge less...

i started work at 15 and often see younger teens in shops etc so its quite common.

you can work from 13 now doing paper rounds etc.

I have worn nail art on my toe nails done by my 9 year old :lol:

I reckon by the time she's 15 she'll be doing a darn good pedicure :lol:

I guess if the 15 year old is the owners daughter she may well have been trained up young and had lots of experience.

From my mums point of view she thinks this is the best thing ive ever done! She thinks its matured me in many ways and ive learnt so much about life etc and more importantly all my interests are in my business rather than out on the streets with mates or out clubbing.

I think when you start from a young age imagine what position you will be in 10-20 years later!
x

Hi, yes what a good thread :)
I totally agree with everything that has been said age should not be a barrier within education , especially when it comes to some great level headed teenagers
I am talking about the ones that really want to learn ,
and if a young person wants to be there to learn listen and has the ability to do so...then I don't think age should be a barrier,

by law there has to be age limitations eg:
in Fe colleges for legal reasons as some teachers in Fe Colleges are limited to teach certain ages .... as they have to hold an enhanced police check to teach younger children

For teaching adults it's usually a standard CRB police check

But.....I would be more concerned about a 14 year old getting hurt or witnessing really bad behavior from the older more worldly teens and adults who may be at an FE college
I am talking about the ones that don't really want to be there and only go because they have to go there !..
some of these people as you know can make trouble and loads of problems for other genuine ones that want to learn .... and a 14 year old may be an easy target for these trouble makers.

So I ask myself do I think some 14 year olds are mentally equipped enough to train in such places ? ......
Hmm... I do think they do tick all the right boxes for the actual learning !!!
as they will be the far better behaved ones, and actually want to be there to learn,

but ..... it's the actual FE enviroment that worries me more
and the lumping them in with all those "bad apples" (for want of a better word...)

I think that's why privately paid courses for younger people who want to get ahead and learn have a far better chance of learning a great deal more,
and also have a far better learning enviroment to be taught in ,

plus lets be honest .... it cuts though all the massses of red tape ect... that goes hand in hand with the government funded Education system ,

Private courses obviously cut out all that red tape as they are not governed by Education authorities or police checks and rules ect... but parents can check out the Private training courses and go down and vet out the trainers out easy enough :)
parents can also go along with them as their practice model , which makes these courses for youngsters ideal , some parents may choose to do the course themselves alongside with them,

plus most of these eager youngsters turn out to be way ahead of their years and very good at what they do ,

:hug: x minky

Latest posts

Back