Is this fair....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Reaction score
Hi All, I would like you to share your views with me on the following. One of our top nail technicians (Ketan Patel) was stopped from competing from the powers that be due to being successful at what he did and winning many competitions. Surely as an industry we should be celebrating his success at creating perfect winning enhancements time after time.
IMO a technician that is winning is setting the standards (if not excelling) and should be applauded and allowed to continue competing as it makes every other technician raise their standard to produce better enhancements which can only benefit our industry and our careers as we develop and bring kick ass nails to the general public and showing how it really should be done.
David

I totally agree. it is very unfair he is being penalised for being the best! It defies logic.

Hiya,

I to agree that you should be able to compete no matter advanced you are!!! It gives the novices something to aim for and look up to!!

Amanda

I think that's terrible! but it means they need to have a Best of the Best or something?? The more comps the better I suppose.

I have to comment here!

How would the likes of Tom Bachik or Tom Holcomb become as well known within our industry if they had been told that they couldn't compete anymore because they had won too many times:?:!!

I had this discussion the other night with someone whose opinion I value greatly and they too had an opinion that I hadn't thought of before.... maybe our industry was too 'new' at the time; some people wouldn't compete because they thought ' why bother Ketan will win'.... shame but probably very true! If Liza Smith had thought that way though, she may not be the winner that she has become over the past few years! She wanted to beat Ketan - it was her mission because she felt that if she could do that - then she would be 'worthy' so-to-speak!!

I remember clearly when Ketan won Winner of Winners (sad I know, but we both cried) - very emotional because he wanted it so badly!

Again - the most important lesson in competing (and it really is the B all and end all) - YOU HAVE TO FIND THE RIGHT MODEL....your model IS the B all and end all - Ketan's model had outstanding nails... put his beautiful work on top of perfection equals more perfection... just some advice for those of you who are thinking about it! I would love Ketan to go back to competing but he was very hurt with what happened... - a really bitter pill to swallow for someone who gave so much! Maybe one day he will - I would love to see him kick some butt cheek again!!! :biggrin:

I wasn't aware that ketan wasnt permitted to compete due to his sucess, as someone above suggested best of the best comp would be coola nd we could all come and watch on close circuit tv. Its like Manchester united and Chelsea, they were division 1 then it became premiership so why not for nails.

I agree with mrs Geek when she was talking about Liza Smith and her aim to be that good, when us novices enter a comp Ketan and liza are the people we look up to and want to Produce nails to their standard.

So please lets have a comp with the top bods it would make brilliant viewing and maybe get it on tv to bring nails to the everyday persons attention, with all us geeks watching the tv viewing figures would be sky high.

PS Ketan Please come back later and like Mrs Geek said Kick butt
x

I for one would love to see Ketan compete again.............It would make our competitions very interesting and very exiting too.........like Samantha just wrote, some people wouldn't compete because they thought ' why bother Ketan will win'....but then thats a shame, because you would never know if you could, if your nails rocked and if your skills where the best in the industry????..........If you can beat the best there is you know you are kick some serious ass,(ment in a positive way)....
Where would all these new F1 promising racing newbies be if they thought the same, Oh well if Schuhmacher is entering then I wont bother.........

That is not the nature of a true Competition Technician........... A true Competition Technician will enter, because the best is there to be beaten....and the best off them will have to be even better, because they have a newbie snapping at their heels........and if the likes of Ketan stay on the podium clutching their No.1 Trophy then you know you have to work just harder at beating them....even if it takes years.... and then if you do....boy does it mean something !!!!!!

Just the way I see it xxxx

Hi All

I feel I have to add a bit of 'history' here as it is relevant.

I can't speak for current comps as my involvement is very minor but, many years ago I was h eavily involved and spent some years as orgainser and adjudicator (for my sins!!! tough job) It was actually me that, all those years ago suggested the idea of 'Winner of Winners' and seem to remember that I continued in the role for 2 years after that.

The reason for this was due to some of the comments included in this thread. There were several 'big competitor super stars' at that time. Names that spring to mind are Ketan (obviously), Denise Write, Pamela Rolhf, Su Marsh (I amsure there are many others and I apologise if I've missed them out but I am very old!!!)

It is very true that so many were put off by the 'big guns' entering year after year. Whether you agree or not, many. many potential competitors did not feel it was worth entering if they didn't have any chance of winning. And, believe me, that chance was very low!!!!

That was why Winner of Winners could have worked; it was the superstars competing against each other and new superstars could join each year (can't remember the details). The usual categories continued giving lots of opportunities to all. I have to say though, that, as organiser, I wished they'd give up as winners are the VERY best qualified to judge other peoples work. They are the ones that truly deserve that role. I tried friendly persuasion, it never worked and I never stopped them competing.

I was a friend of Ketan way back when he slogged away at the comps, not being placed, but so determined to win and win again and again. I would like to say that I am still a friend of Ketan and think he has achieved so much and he is one of the handful of technicians I truly admire.

I don't know why he was banned but we do have him as a perfect judge now :cool:.

Maybe we should try to organise a 'Battle of the Titans' (or a cooler title!!!) and have it screened on CCTV, in closeup!!??? Lets see what those 'big guns' are made of and give them a chance of an even bigger challenge: competition conditions PLUS everyone watching their every move :).

They'd love it

Marian

Battle of the Talons lol................ I would pay to see that xxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Battle of the Talons lol................ I would pay to see that xxx

Perfect! Ruth, you always hit the nail on the head :D

Now go to bed, it's late.
W m W m
xxx

Latest posts

Back