Is this your hobby or your job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
....or maybe even both?

Nails and beauty for me began as my job. I worked in three spas and did a bit of self employed work too. I said at the start of the journey that I wanted to be in the beauty industry still by my early thirties but from early to mid twenties was enough for me due to low pay, poor hours, bad experiences with 2/3 employers but above all a bad back from doing a lot of massage nailed it for me.

So even though nails and beauty can't be my job anymore I still have an interest in it. I mostly just do treatments on myself these days and still have a love for nail art, skin care and having fun with makeup for a night out.

Twas a lot of job satisfaction on a good day but the bad factors became too predominant over time. Really glad that I've kept this going as a hobby though and wouldn't hesitate to do more makeup training if money wasn't an object (learning is fun!).

What about you guys? Is this hardcore career territory for you or are you retired from the industry with a remaining interest in it?

I wouldn't say no to returning to this industry in some capacity but it would have to tick more boxes for me than previous roles.

And you?

For me this was pin money for many years. I had a home treatment room for 10 years and 'did a bit of beauty'. My mum and step dad needed a lot of support and working like this enabled me to earn but have time for hospital visits, doctors etc. I could never make a commitment to a room or renting as I was constantly on call, often in the middle of the night.

My step dad died some years ago now and to cut a very long story short, I then rented a room. My girls were fairly grown up by this time and were pleased to have the house back.

We now have the salon and my eldest is star employee but I never set out to do this. My business has grown totally organically. We went Ltd last Jan and are having to go vat registered this Jan.

I'm amazed to think that working from home for 10 years I don't think I did one training course. I just ticked over, but like the op, I love learning and training. In the past 3 years I have done so much training it's unreal!

I still have clients from those early days who have followed me from pillar to post.

I think it's so sad that so many people have bad experiences as employed therapists. I read some posts on here - the op included - and wonder why employers treat staff the way they do!

I'll shut up now!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is my job. The money I make pays my bills.

My job. Ever since I qualified it has paid my bills. I've never been employed, only self employed and wouldn't change a thing :)

It's my full time hobby that I get paid to do. Coming to work in my own salon isn't like work. I enjoy nurturing it and watching it grow with the help of my lovely clients and the beauty girls behind me watching their businesses grow too

The day I walk into this building and it feels like "work - just a job that pays my bills " I will hang up my scissors and hairdryer for good.

I'd rather sell up and walk than have unhappy clients getting sloppy complacent services.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's so sad that so many people have bad experiences as employed therapists. I read some posts on here - the op included - and wonder why employers treat staff the way they do!

I found it near on impossible to find a salon near me who was competent and ethical enough to pay employees properly through paye and spa work is something with a shelf life due to it's physical nature (my last spa had some lovely management but my body was wrecked from all the massage by then).

I'd consider salon work maybe at a later stage but the intimate environment is such that I'd need it to be an environment that I was genuinely happy and comfortable working in. Can just about handle the min wage thing but only if I was being treated fairly and was happy so not sure if I'll find something that works for me.

Not afraid of work but I'm a big believer in energy in needing to equal reward recieved.

Still looking forward to doing some Christmas nail art though :)

I've been working in child protection for 14 years and then about 2 years ago I decided I wanted to do a job that makes people feel nice. Child protection definitely has a burn out! I now have a lovely treatment room at home and I work evenings and weekends (can't afford to give up the day job just yet) and ive

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oops sent before finishing! I've started the uphill battle of building a client base. I can't wait for the day that this becomes my full time job. I absolutely love it!

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

My job, as it pays my mortgage and bills, and is my sole income!

It's my job but it doesn't come close to paying my bills!

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

For me this was pin money for many years. I had a home treatment room for 10 years and 'did a bit of beauty'. My mum and step dad needed a lot of support and working like this enabled me to earn but have time for hospital visits, doctors etc. I could never make a commitment to a room or renting as I was constantly on call, often in the middle of the night.

My step dad died some years ago now and to cut a very long story short, I then rented a room. My girls were fairly grown up by this time and were pleased to have the house back.

We now have the salon and my eldest is star employee but I never set out to do this. My business has grown totally organically. We went Ltd last Jan and are having to go vat registered this Jan.

I'm amazed to think that working from home for 10 years I don't think I did one training course. I just ticked over, but like the op, I love learning and training. In the past 3 years I have done so much training it's unreal!

I still have clients from those early days who have followed me from pillar to post.

I'll shut up now!

Vic x

well done you must be so proud!! X

for me, its both my job and hobby, I'm self employed, but live and breathe hair & beauty! I've been putting make up on,and doing my own hair since I was 3 years old, I'm just so lucky that I get paid for doing it �� x

I call it a jobby, I qualified to lvl3 in beauty in June, been a mobile hairdresser for about 6yrs and happily added beauty treatments such as mani/pedi waxing and facial once I had my lvl2 certificates. Then kept going with nails massage and tanning after Lvl3. My health isn't the best right now, so I've kept it all fairly small and manageable, I have a good list of loyal regular clients and picked up 4 new ones this past week but it's pin money for now. I am desperate to make this my full throttle career as soon as I'm well again and train in whatever I can afford (well the husband can help me afford lol) and grow from there, I do love this ever changing industry though, only thing I have ever been really keen to get into, even my job in sales which I was really quite good at felt like a huge effort to turn up to. I get so excited going to clients homes and making them feel good. Anyway that was waffle lol it's a job/hobby for me. For now.

Latest posts

Back