Iwata Silver Jet for Spray Tans??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyddy

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

This is my first post, so first of all hello :) I've been a freelance make-up artist for the past 6yrs and use to do a lot of commercial work, but after having my gorgeous baby boy I can no longer travel the country spending 12hrs on set! I've decided to concentrate on local customers until he is older and offering more beauty services :)

I want to do a spray tan course and already have the iwata silver jet (I use for airbrush make-up) and was wondering if anyone uses the silver jet for spray tanning? Do you recommend it?

Also wondering if anyone could recommend a spray tan airbrush gun that is compatible with the silver jet... that doesn't cost an arm & leg lol.

Thanks for any advice x

OOoo funny that I was reading up on the silver jet in a spray tanning book i just bought (walking in sunshine 2nd edition by samantha whitehead) only last night :D ive been researching compressors and Hvlp machines and im still trying to decide nearly month in what to buy Lol

it says the silver jet is best suited to mobile or occasional use about 3-4 applications a day, sorry doesnt say what airbrush is suitable for tanning with it but you could always try contacting a reputable Iwata stockist.
most of the smaller compressors (sprint jet/smart jet) have a duty cycle of around 40mins max and advise having a motor rest of at least 20mins after each use to allow it to cool down. i should think a silver jet would have a shorter duty time and at least the 20mins cooling time but i could be wrong.
in short if you only plan on doing a few a day i think it'll do the job (accourding to the book im reading! :D)
BTW Lydyy hi & welcome to salon geek! (sorry i got all carried away because i knew the awnser haha what a GEEK!)

Thank you Belle De Jour :) I think it should be perfect for what I need it for then because I'll only be doing a couple of spray tans a day I should think.

The iwata guns are lovely but sooo expensive, don't think theres much difference in price between a new iwata gun and a mini-mist machine :S was hoping to find a more economical gun but don't want to risk damaging my silver jet :O

tbh id probably be inclinded to go for one of the ts20 if you'll only be offering a few a day/week, it would be alot cheaper than replacing the silver jet if it did pack up you'd kick yourself and wonder if the extra tanning had caused it ;) im no expert though and its only from what i have read here on skin geek and surfing about the net, hopefully someone better qualified will be along soon to give you some totally sound advice :D

Thanks for the recommendation the TS20 looks great value! I'm going to do some more investigation into it :) ah decisions decisions!

Hi,

I have used both machines for tanning, I do love the iwata machine for it's precision like airbrush makeup and nails, I found the HVLP machine ALOT better for spray tanning.

The HVLP machine is alot quicker, really easy to use to, and as you say the price of the guns are more expensive than the mini mist itself.

I would be inclined to go for a HVLP machine that does more tans per day like a maximist, for the occasion where you may do more than 4 tans in a day or a group

Hths. Xx

Latest posts

Back