Keratin blow - now illegal ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twink

Reaction score
Hay all,

just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the information i have been given. I approached my hairdresser about having another keratin treatment ( my hair has been fried with bleach and im so so upset ) it will have been 18 months since my last. To which she replied they are no longer allowed to do them as the levels of Formaldehyde are too high for the uk standard.

so here is where my confusion is.... i thought based upon my last treatment the level of Formaldehyde in these new treatments ( mine being keratin complex ) were negligible ?? Has the UK now even stopped them , im aware of the older style ones being dangerous to health etc but i never had that treatment in the 1st place

So yes i can still have the treatment done but it wont be the same as my previous one and will most probably only last 6 weeks yet its still £165 ......Im hoping someone on here will tell me the girl in the salon has miss informed me

any help with this is much appreciated or help in fixing my hair
thanks x x x

What has happened is that practically all of the originals have been banned as they contained to high amounts of formaldehyde. You can still get it done with formaldehyde free, yes it will cost you the same if not more, as the products are just as expensive or more so ( the one I use has a mask applied at the end) some take more time ( mine does), they may not last as long and probably wont be as good, but at least it's safe. Hope that clears things up for you x

Hay all,

just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the information i have been given. I approached my hairdresser about having another keratin treatment ( my hair has been fried with bleach and im so so upset ) it will have been 18 months since my last. To which she replied they are no longer allowed to do them as the levels of Formaldehyde are too high for the uk standard.

so here is where my confusion is.... i thought based upon my last treatment the level of Formaldehyde in these new treatments ( mine being keratin complex ) were negligible ?? Has the UK now even stopped them , im aware of the older style ones being dangerous to health etc but i never had that treatment in the 1st place

So yes i can still have the treatment done but it wont be the same as my previous one and will most probably only last 6 weeks yet its still £165 ......Im hoping someone on here will tell me the girl in the salon has miss informed me

any help with this is much appreciated or help in fixing my hair
thanks x x x

Must just add you did have one with illegal levels in, in the first place, but at the time this want thought to be high levels.

omg i hope there not illegal to use.. i still have a full box of the original kerastraight =[.... but we mainly use the new ones now and we where saving them for a client which loved the original formula.

what about la brasiliana ? is that still ok

what about la brasiliana ? is that still ok

I looked into getting this done recently and la brasiliana do a formaldehyde free one. I would never have any treatment that contains this.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I looked into getting this done recently and la brasiliana do a formaldehyde free one. I would never have any treatment that contains this.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Brasiliana is not Formaldehyde free, it's got about 0.001g of it in, it's about the only one that didn't get banned. I used to use it, but to be honest it's not very good!

omg i hope there not illegal to use.. i still have a full box of the original kerastraight =[.... but we mainly use the new ones now and we where saving them for a client which loved the original formula.

As far as I know you're not ment to use any that have been banned, that's why they're banned, but quite a few suppliers told hairdressers they could carry on using what they had left, which is what Beox told me. As whether your breaking the law I really couldn't say. I only know what I know through lots of research.

Brasiliana is not Formaldehyde free, it's got about 0.001g of it in, it's about the only one that didn't get banned. I used to use it, but to be honest it's not very good!

Really? I asked the owner of my hairdressers about it and he said that tehre is a version with it and one without.

In what way is it not very good? I was considering getting it done. Everything else in the salon is high quality.

Really? I asked the owner of my hairdressers about it and he said that tehre is a version with it and one without.

In what way is it not very good? I was considering getting it done. Everything else in the salon is high quality.
They may have changed the formula but I doubt it, it was such a low amount in way below legal requirements. Yep that's why it's not very good, but other geeks may disagree.

They may have changed the formula but I doubt it, it was such a low amount in way below legal requirements. Yep that's why it's not very good, but other geeks may disagree.

I see. Hmmm, I might just leave it altogether, I wasn't sure about it anyway.

Latest posts

Back