L&P or Gel?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Hi
I am current doing the Essential Nails at home training in both L&P and Gel. I know some people only offer the L&P or Gel, but what I am interested in is:-
For those people that offer BOTH L&P and Gel enhancements, which is the most common and why?
I cant seem to find any reason for using one instead of the other - does it make a difference if you are using tips, sculpturing or overlays???

many thanks

confused

Theresa
:irked:

i think it depends alot on what area you are in and what other salons around offer.
i am in north london and the majority only do l+p.
I trained in gel but now want to go and do l+p so it really comes down to the market, but also how much you belive in the product you are using- my friend can offer all 3 systems but chooses to work mainly in gel and now her salon is 98% gel.
It all depends.

I find that L&P is the most popular. Sculpting is quicker and technically stronger than using tips. Fibreglass I find is the best for natural nail overlays.

If I were you, I would perfect the system you think you are better at first and then when you have absolutely mastered it, go on to perfecting the other system and finally become a full service technician by offering all systems.

Good luck!

Why do you think that L&P is more popular? Is it purely because not many gels soak off - i have heard that some gels now soak off - do you know which ones are soakable an how I can get hold of them?
many thanks
Theresa

oey said:
Why do you think that L&P is more popular? Is it purely because not many gels soak off - i have heard that some gels now soak off - do you know which ones are soakable an how I can get hold of them?
many thanks
Theresa

I think bio-sculpture is a soak off gel try their web site.

oey said:
many thanks
Theresa

soak off's i can think of are..Bio Sculpture, Calgel, Akzentz Options, cant think of any more just now..xx

essential nails do a soak off

Hope you don't mind me bunking into your thread, but I've often wondered if you offer both l&p and gel and client asks what you recommend........ is there a criteria or difference for different nail types you would recommend for clients?
When I first had my nails done in a salon a few years ago and was asked which would I prefer - I was clueless. So the tech said as it was my first time she would try me with gel because they were less damaging - if I were to damage one, the whole thing would shatter but this wouldn't happen with l&p.??

i wouldn't say that was true...i don't think any system is any more damaging than another...none is...its just the way they are looked after/removed that can be...xx

No system will damage a natural nail, only the tech who applies them does the damage, or the client if they are a picker and pull the nails off.

I actually offer all three systems, but in the beginning only offered L&P. Mainly i chose this as most people in my area offer this, plus its the hardest to learn so i thought if i conquer L&P then the others will be easier.

Every client is different, if they are hard on their nails or are a nail biter and don't tend to follow your advice then i would offer L&P. If someone is better with their nails and has nice but short nails, i would offer Gel first. If i have clients who have long nails but just want an overlay to help protect their nails, then i offer fibreglass.

I always take alot into consideration before i advise them on what they should have nails wise, hence why we do client cards. You ask them about life style, look at the quality and strength of their own nails, what they do every day and this all goes towards what dicision you make. All clients need to be looked at individually and have the treatment tailor made to them.

I always look at the clients lifestyle if for example they work with their hands in water alot i.e Hairdressers I would always recommend a gel enhancement.
For someone who tends to be heavy handed I would opt for L&P, Each client is different. What suits one wearer may not be suitable for another ;)

Hi

i think its down to personal preference. I think that often its the preference of the tech though rather than the client when they only offer one service. if a tech says one is more damaging than the other then i say (a) she doesn't know what she's talking about as any damage to the natural nail is usually down to misuse or abuse or (b) she just prefers the system she's promoting or (c) she's only trained in one system so obviously she's not gonna promote the other.

My understanding is that gels are usually weaker but i was told if you apply Creative's Brisa as thick as you do their L&P then the strength is the same, as they have carried their retention+ technology over to the gel.

I offer both, so my client has a choice, and i get an equal amount of clients for each. if they don't know what they want after i've explained, then i do what i want or what i think will suit them best or what i think they will like best.

Latest posts

Back