Laptops in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixnewcastle

CND Education Ambassador Newcastle
Reaction score
Hi does anyone else have a laptop in their salon? Im in the middle of buying one to keep myself entertained during quiet times in the salon instead of doing a naughty and going home (im slapping my own wrist for you)

yes i had to start bringing mine as i was getting bored also and sometimes going home early during the days i was supposed to open late ( yes my wrists should be slapped also..:))

its makes things alot easier and keeps me occupied when i have no bookings..

i just sit on the nail station with my laptop and search through salon geek :).. people probably think im doing work stuff..lol.. and makes me look busy still

LOL Guilty, i have one at work too,
but to be fair i do a lot of work on my laptop inbetween clients and students :green:

Could be useful with one of those mobile broadband dongles (if there isn't wi-fi in the salon already), especially if you want to geek out during those quieter moments :green:

you can get them from pc world on finance like £10-£20 a month & then of course mobile broadband is heavenly(when it works)
if i had a salon i would have one.

You could have your bookings on it etc it's only like having a normal one.

Could be useful with one of those mobile broadband dongles (if there isn't wi-fi in the salon already), especially if you want to geek out during those quieter moments :green:

This is exactly how i do it Ruth,
it costs me £15 per month where as to have broadband in the salon was almost triple the cost because it is a business :eek:

Granted, I work from home
BUT

I do have a 'netbook' which is smaller than a laptop (just under 9"?) and fits in my purse dandy.
Great for showing a slideshow of nail art, or a quick google of ideas for a client for something I haven't done yet, etc etc...

Most handy!
Good investment.

If you have office in it, and use Outlook instead of Outlook express, you can book on your laptop, and then back it up to your desktop at home.
In Outlook, for those that are "repeats", instead of having to write them over and over and over, just set the 'repeat' and all done. :green:

have just recently bought a laptop as I'm doing an NVQ (not nail related) and had a thought it would be useful

I am in the process of setting up a power point presentation to include my nail images so that it can be left on in the salon and rotate my images around whilst i'm working - my NVQ assessor suggested this today - although another Geek - Jo also suggested she would use her pc to do this & I thought it was a fab idea. It would be great to have in the window if you had a high street type salon don't ya think?

Plus, i could geek & facebook at the same time lol! Not really, I'd rather play & practise nails if I'm sat in my salon (as it's home based), I can go on the pc at home anytime whilst the kids are not monopolising it in the eves!!!!!

I am in the process of setting up a power point presentation to include my nail images so that it can be left on in the salon and rotate my images around whilst i'm working - my NVQ assessor suggested this today - although another Geek - Jo also suggested she would use her pc to do this & I thought it was a fab idea. It would be great to have in the window if you had a high street type salon don't ya think?
I have all my photos on a memory card and have a digital photo frame that does a slideshow continuously, each picture stays on the screen for about 7 seconds, I've even typed words over some of the pictures and I also have my logo coming up sporodically too.
some of the vistaprint postcards and gift vouchers I made up in the past are on their too as jpegs.
I would rather have a £30 digital photoframe stolen than a £300 laptop/notebook.

I also have a digital photo frame, but am looking into getting a laptop as i think i would do a lot of business stuff (advertising, ordering etc) especially with a dongle! i also wanted to look into get like an apointment diary salon programme on there does anyone use one of these?:eek:

when i got my laptop i thought the same, but then just ended surfing around at work just like i do in the evenings, so have decided to stop bringing it into work and take a good book to read instead and now i have downloaded like 100's of games on my phone so play alot of puzzles etc.

We have one in the salon too, if you use your laptop in downtime to set up a facebook page for your salon and pop a status up with your current special offers, best time to do it is during the day while everyones on facebook in work so they wont miss it.

i take my laptop into the salon all the time.... id be lost with out it!

just a word of advise tho.... i have a larger laptop i use for power point and recently it got knocked and the hinge has broken.... do check you are covered for your laptop in your salon insurance as it will be classed as office equipment and you may not be covered..... fortunately i was still covered and am waiting to see if they can fix it.... fingers crossed!

Jess
xox

i take my laptop into the salon all the time.... id be lost with out it!

just a word of advise tho.... i have a larger laptop i use for power point and recently it got knocked and the hinge has broken.... do check you are covered for your laptop in your salon insurance as it will be classed as office equipment and you may not be covered..... fortunately i was still covered and am waiting to see if they can fix it.... fingers crossed!

Jess
xox

I didn't think about the insurance side, good point!

I have found being online invaluable at work. We don't get time to abuse it (facebook etc.) but we are always looking for things for clients, ideas, tutorials etc. I can keep ontop of my books, do wages, banking and orders. This means I do less of this at home, which is great!

I have all my photos on a memory card and have a digital photo frame that does a slideshow continuously, each picture stays on the screen for about 7 seconds, I've even typed words over some of the pictures and I also have my logo coming up sporodically too.
some of the vistaprint postcards and gift vouchers I made up in the past are on their too as jpegs.
I would rather have a £30 digital photoframe stolen than a £300 laptop/notebook.

Very good point Ann, mine is a home based salon, so i'd not expect it to be an issue regarding theft. I could however, understand that for a high street based salon, so good point.
Must look at the digital photo frame idea - as it would also take up far less space xxx

Latest posts

Back