Lash retention

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LashEmma90

Reaction score
Hi, I've been a mobile lash technician for 3 years now and recently I have about 3 out of 10 clients tell me their lashes (semi permanents) have come off within 4-5 days. I haven't changed anything in my routine, I prime their lashes removing any oils off them and use an ultra bonding clue that i keep in the pouch its delivered in with the sachet that absorbs moisture. I advise all my clients my do's and don'ts and still have this issue which has actually occurred since this heat wave. i'm going to buy a thermometer to put in my room I work from home as well so I know i'm working in the right temperature. Is anyone else having this issue or have any tips that can help please?

Hi,
I'm a newbie and have only been doing this for a few months. I have had the same issues with one of my clients, they messaged me this morning.
I have done exactly the same as you with regards to priming the lashes etc.
A few people have said to me that they have had similar issues and they think it has something to do with this heatwave, the working conditions being extremely hotter than usual.
I think, like you said, double checking the temperature of the room your working in is the best idea. That's what I am going to keep an eye on. Hopefully you get it sorted soon!! :)

Ah thanks for your reply, its good to know others are going through the same! I even have a fan with me but then think that may dry the glue too quick in time for me to swipe it on their lash so we can't win haha

ive made them aware any sun creams, sweat and even sitting in the sun with cause them to come off, roll on winter with longer retention ha!

I am going through the same too :(

Yes the main ingredient in all adhesives is the cyanoacrylate which reacts to temperature and also humidity. Anything extreme cold or hot can have an impact and at the moment we are having immense temperatures. If you keep your room between 20-24 degrees (or as per manufacturers recommendations) you will find that the adhesive will be have as usual.
If its too warm the adhesive seems to set quicker but it remains tacky and lashes can brush off or your clients will lose retention quickly. A similar problem occurs in the winter when its extremely cold so its best to try and have a constant temperature in your lash room. If you are mobile it would be more difficult as you rely on clients houses and the heat in the car could also cause problems

Ye that's the main issue with being mobile, I keep it in a protected pouch and put it away out of the sun out of my box with my tools. I may start asking my clients to make sure the room is cool enough for when I come to them to help out with the application.

Ye that's the main issue with being mobile, I keep it in a protected pouch and put it away out of the sun out of my box with my tools. I may start asking my clients to make sure the room is cool enough for when I come to them to help out with the application.
Yes it is a bit tricky when you are mobile as you are relying on the client but you could try using vials instead of bottles so at least you would know that you are not ruining the whole bottle if it is warm or humid x

I've had the same message from a client this evening. I told her during application that the glue works best at 20 degrees and that it was 28 in my lash room so she understands why she's lost a lot of lashes... only thing is I feel obliged to fix them for free :(

I've had the same message from a client this evening. I told her during application that the glue works best at 20 degrees and that it was 28 in my lash room so she understands why she's lost a lot of lashes... only thing is I feel obliged to fix them for free :(
If you havent got an air cooler you could try putting a bowl of ice in front of a fan. It can help a bit, not sure if it will reduce the temperature a lot but it might just be enough? x

I have been offering to do them for free as well and going to their houses so it’s taking time away from clients I could be earning from but at the same time I’m anxious every time I do some and dread the text a couple of days after. I don’t want to charge them but then I feel like if I’m going out of my way to go and fix them I should charge but then it’s not their fault so I don’t know what to do. I’ve bought everything new primer, activator I’m even going to buy new lashes because I just feel really in confident and don’t want a bad reputation.

If you are looking after your adhesive and doing everything right you should not need to do any top ups for free. Make sure you store your adhesive in the moisture absorbent granules in a dark and cool place (dont leave it in the car) and if possible try and take a fan with you so that you can cool the room down (bowl of ice in front of it). If you have 20-24 degrees in the room and your application is right then there should be no problems with retention.
If clients are losing lashes you need to find out how much as it is normal to lose a few in the first few days and then also afterwards as the natural lashes shed. Try investigating with your clients if they lose the extension or the natural lash too and which products they use for aftercare etc
With the temperatures being so warm they could be sweating or having oily skin, or if they are not using oil free make up remover or cleanser you could have a build up of oil too.

Dont let it knock your confidence as it might not be anything you are doing wrong. The key is to ensure that your application is spot on and then you can have the confidence to stand up to clients. You will also find sometimes that clients will lose a few lashes and then expect a top up and if you allow this to happen they get used to you coming every few days to top their lashes up for free x

I keep my glue in the protective pouch it comes in with the absorbing sachets for moisture but I have just ordered a vacuumed sealed box too. I feel obliged to do their lashes for free as I feel like it’s my fault even though I give them aftercare. One client had no natural lashes falling out but didn’t tell me until after 2 weeks so I done her a full set at a discount price but then I’m thinking the same as what you’ve mentioned that they will be trying to get infills nearly every week for free. The list goes on what you have to earn them about an when it comes to asking they say they haven’t used oils make up etc which is what I explain to them even during the application of the lashes. What way would be best to explain to them about if they want them filling for free because I don’t want to advertise that I will fix them because then I think every one will jump on it as well.

I’ve been doing them for 3 years and I’ve got to my best stage yet being impressed and confident with myself but the last couple of weeks have really made me anxious as I don’t want this happening all the time.

Thanks for your messages by the way they are really helpful!

Been having the same issue and it’s difficult to cool down the room so instead I cool down the glue. I find putting my glue in the fridge for 5 minutes before helps with retention. At the moment where I’ve been back to back I’ve been using a small cool bag with one of those ice packs in and left it by the bed. I’ve really noticed a difference in how often I need to do a new drop of glue and it doesn’t go as tacky. Hope this helps x

Noooooo dont put your adhesive in the fridge! That will cause condensation and result in a much shorter shelf life! Adhesives need to be kept at constant temperature to avoid any fluctuations so putting it in a fridge and taking it out is going to cause a lot of problems due to temperature change and condensation

Wow this has really helped, thanks guys. I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve been keeping my glue in the fridge too. We were taught on training that you could that? Xx

Wow this has really helped, thanks guys. I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve been keeping my glue in the fridge too. We were taught on training that you could that? Xx

Maybe contact your supplier as keeping the adhesive in the fridge will cause condensation which will ruin the adhesive x

I will thank you. Xx

Girls just looking for an opinion on my glue. It’s been kept in my lash room last few weeks and I (thought) had been okay. I didn’t lash for 3 days had a client last night and when I opened my vaccuum container my glue bottles look like this. Is this due to being too hot and do you think the glue inside had been affected?? You can scratch off the white stuff? They are both new- the inspire one jul 16th and the lashbase literally last week :( I keep them in dry rice could it be this?
9D72AC17-A1AB-49B3-BD55-EC211CE2DE41.jpeg

Latest posts

Back