Legal question hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clazaridis

Reaction score
Hi, I fitted a full head of extensions on jan 5th. The consultation was for a 14 year old who's mum has extensions I think great lengths. Her mum asked plenty of questions etc etc and signed the consultation form. When fitted them the mother was out leaving me with the girl and her grandma. Grandma left after an hour I finished up got the ok and very smiley teenager! She read all the aftercare and I told her to have regular maintenance and she signed the aftercare to say she'd read and understood it fully. Her mum called 5 months later saying they're ready to come out they're starting to tangled. She'd never booked a maintenance sessions every 4 weeks so went 5 months with no check ups.....even though she said she understood the aftercare. I got to the removal on Tuesday to find a mess. Massive dreadlocks above the bonds and some bonds inside the matting which I couldn't get at. I spent an hour trying to get the knots out. She was almost in tears with the pain of the brushing as you can imagine. She then told me to leave it she would sort it herself I said several times ate you sure I don't just want to leave you because she was home alone. She assured me she would do the brushing herself. I messages her mum at work to tell her the situation. I really didn't know what to do as I was being told to leave! Mum called yesterday wanting compensation of £75 for a hair cut as she'd resorted to cutting the matted bit out. Shes given the hair dresser my name so that has blackened my name with that salon. I've never had a problem before and have over 100 happy clients who keep coming back! Where do I stand on this?? Thanks in advance

Sorry that you and your client are now in this situation. If you did the consultation, got parental consent, had a signature to say she was happy and understood the maintenance and upkeep and indeed have a signature over this then you have done everything you should. What may have happened is that the girl didn't actually take the information in, lost the aftercare adn didn't say anything to anyone else over what she had to do. If her mum has extensions she may not adhere to aftercare you never know.

Legally, if the girl is Fraser competent then they cannot claim she did not understand the aftercare instructions and the maintenance that was required. You tried the removal but the young girl refused to let you continue, you should have documented this and got a signature to say she wanted you to stop the removal and she would attempt to remove them herself against your advice. This is possibly the only thing you may not have done.

All that said, you followed your duty of care, you didn't breach it, she asked you to stop because of the pain. She then unfortunately decided to try to sort out the mess herself by cutting it, that is her responsibility I am afraid to say. I know it sounds harsh but looking at it from a legal stance this is how it appears to be.

She would have made your name mud anyway regardless of what you had done and whether you give compensation for something she has done herself, the omission of aftercare is not your responsibility, it was her decision. So here are your options as I see them:

1. Give them what they want, £75. This could be seen as an admission of guilt however, even if you write a letter entitled without prejudice and offer it as a gesture of goodwill. If you do this I would ensure you state the facts and state that the aftercare had not been followed as agreed and you tried the removal but due to the state of the hair due to lack of concordance with the aftercare and maintenance agreement, it was a long process and the client would not allow you to continue. This then meant she cut the hair out herself against your advice.
  2. Write a letter to them, again without prejudice, include a photocopy of the consultation and consent form, also include the signed form stating the client would adhere to the aftercare and maintenance requirements.
  3. Offer to place in more extensions maybe at cost price and include the first maintenace treatment free of charge, offer the check ups free maybe but any actuall hands on maintenance they would need to pay for.
I am not in any way a legal representative nor anyone who deals with hair so I am looking at the facts as an impartial representative.

x

Hi thanks for that! I think I'll just go for paying the bill and writing a letter again explaining that the aftercare wasn't followed correctly etc. X

Hi thanks for that! I think I'll just go for paying the bill and writing a letter again explaining that the aftercare wasn't followed correctly etc. X
Hi,

If I was you, I would not pay the bill.
Because it is not your fault. Because you did tell them everything they had to know about aftercare, and they never came for maintenance checks.
If you pay the bill, you admit it is your fault.

being hairdresser you get st*pid b*tches like that from time to time, but you also have a lot of happy customers.

If they continue blackening your name - seek for legal advice and send them a letter. you could sue them for that.

Hi, thanks, I may seek advice from a solicitor on this one after all. It's made me really angry to be honest!!

the original post was 03/06 and the last reply was today (21/06) has it not been sorted out yet? :\ also, i'm so surprised nobody mentioned talking to your insurance company? that is what they are there for! that is why we pay them money each year so that if stuff does wrong or we have a problem we have professionals to help and advise us and if need be cover the costs. have you read your policy? if not, then i would read all the small print because mine says (i'm beauty, not hair) that i shouldn't get in touch with a client i should let them (my insurer) deal with any issues. x

I wouldn't give them anything at all! I would, if I knew the name of the people they'd tarnished me to, write them a very polite letter telling them what has happened, so that they know to be careful if this girl ever asks THEM to do their extensions, and just to cover your back incase they decide to drag your name through the mud some more.

Think this clients mum is being very cheeky, and since she left a minor alone on her own, anything that went wrong should be on HER head.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back