Level 3 NVQ/mobile therapy - should I?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nessiek

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just finishing level 2 NVQ beauty therapy and am in a mess as to what to do next, I desperately need some advice.

I have been doing level 2 part-time in the evenings whilst carrying on working in my old office based job during the day. My college has changed the days/hours for level 3, in September it is going to be 3 days a week 9-5pm over 1 year. They have really thrown a spanner in the works because I would like to do level 3, but will have to reduce my hours at work in order to do it and obviously take a cut in wages. Unfortunately I cannot afford to give up work completely, I have a mortgage to pay.

A lot of the jobs out there for therapists are for level 3 or equivalent, will someone take me on at level 2 whilst I continue my training for level 3?
I don't know whether to take the risk and leave my old job (I really hate it!!!) and rent a room in a salon and do the treatments I am capable of whilst continuing my training for level 3 or maybe even go mobile or work from home.

My head is in such a mess :irked:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if you can understand my waffling!!

NessieK

Sorry to hear you're in a state! Lets see if we can help you...

Have you tried looking for a job in a salon yet? If not, give it a go, you never know what you might find - just because an ad says they want someone level 3 trained, you may well get a job with them while you're training for your level 3 anyway.

I worked in a salon from right after I qualified for level 2, and my employer allowed me to work in the salon on the days I wasn't at college. It built up my confidence no end, and worked really well for both of us.

Write a CV, with a good covering letter, and take it into all of your local salons (Interesting to note that I've never landed a job from replying to an advert - all my jobs have been from introducing myself to companies). Also, you may be able to do a few days in a salon, and if you have time and the energy, you may be able to do some mobile work as well - but check your contract with your new employer first.

Good luck, hope you find a solution that suits you XX

Bombalurina,

Thanks for that. I've already started sending out my CV with covering letter to salons, I just need someone to give me a chance. No replies yet! I do worry that they may look at my age (I'm 36) and think "She isn't going to be here long before she goes self employed". So frustrating, I'm still not decided what to do.
I'm thinking of maybe doing a course on Acrylic/Gel Nails instead of level 3 as it's an evening course over less time, and just sticking with the level 2, oh I don'yt know what to do!!!

HELP!!!!!

nessie

:) Hi i can recommend being mobile, it really gives you alot of freadom, you cpuld do the treatments your qualified in, and then gradually do the extra courses you want to do to add on. That way getting the best of both worlds.
You can do less hours earning better money than in a Salon too.
Good luck with whatever you choose.:hug:

Hi have you looked at other local colleges like in the next town. They may run the course on different days/times. Always worth a go I guess!!

I have thought about going mobile, but need to build up a client base and GUARANTEE that I will earn money. So felt it may be better to get experience in a salon first then move on to mobile or work from home.

I asked my college about other colleges which do the course but they are all on more than one day a week or even full time.

At the moment I am just sending out my CV to Spas and Salons and hoping to get some part-time work to start with.

Thanks

Hi

I'm in a very similar position to you, just finishing my NVQ2's in Beauty Therapy and Hairdressing, while working an office job I hate. I applied for the level 3 whilst I couldn't decide which to do out of L3 beauty and mobile.

Two days ago I withdrew my application for the L3. I'm gonna go mobile (already do this but with only very few clients due to my massive work/college/home commitments) and really put my heart and soul into it, while working 2 days per week in my office job.

I can't tell you how good it feels to have made the decision, even if it is a bit scary!

Have you made a decision on what you're doing?

Hi Ditzy,

I'm kind of decided, going to do Level 3 in September, but I have to submit a request to my employers to reduce my hours and days at work. Unfortunately I need to stay at my current job so I'm guaranteed a wage every month. It will mean that on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays I will be at college from 9-5 and Tuesday and Wednesdays I will be doing my office job. I'm hoping to get maybe a Saturday or Sunday working in a salon and if not then do more beauy treatments in my own time, either at home or go to peoples houses. I already have enquiries about a pamper party from work colleagues which is a start. I just need to think about and plan it and hopefully it will go ahead so that will give me a bit of extra cash.

I wish you lots of luck with your mobile treatments.

Nessie

Latest posts

Back