Looking the part

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Ok so I KNOW you have to look like you take great care and skill in your appearance in order to promote your interest in beauty and assure the client that they are in good hands.

But something is worrying me...

On a day to day basis, I wear little to no make-up (I do a lot of long distance walking and am so busy that I'm very all or nothing about doing my make-up, so when I get up late I would rather leave the house in no make-up rather that half hearted make-up)...so in a nutshell, I don't wear make-up on a day to day basis because a) it doesn't always fit with my lifestyle and b) I see it as an art that I don't like to rush so I would rather wear none than some done discretely and rushed.

You get the picture...

So yeah, when I attend my college course in makeup and when I attended my nvq2 beauty at the carlton institute, a lot of people mentioned that I don't wear makeup and I'm starting to get really cautious that they (wrongly) assume that because I am very tomboyish in my appearance, that I am not interested in beauty ir have no experience in it. Like this really frustrates me because nothing could be further from the truth.

The simple answer is "tidy yourself up Laura!!!" and of course I'm going to do so but yeah, I'm just really suprised at how because I'm comfortable to go out with a nekkid face, a lot of people seem to associate that with a lack of interest or knowledge for my subject and this worries me that I'm sending out the wrong message to the people who obviously have involvement in assessing me.

Hmm, is what I'm saying here relatable? futile? daft?

Like I KNOW I would have to look the part for work and I will certainly do that undoubtably. But just as a busy student who didn't get dressed up to attend the nvq course, I'm worried it will affect my marks or that I came across in the wrong way. Can anyone enlighten me on this.

I should add that there was no uniform rule to wear makeup that i was choosing to ignore.

Hmm, I'm ultimately worrying that I've made the wrong impression and am going to try and rectify that right now but hmm, what are your thoughts on this topic guys?

(for what it's worth, I should probably add that my mission is to make the average person feel good about themselves via modest beauty treatments rather than crave perfection beyond reality. Thus I'm very humble and down to earth and think a nekkid face is a healthy face and a healthy mind depending on the occaision)

Ok so I've rambled a bit so over to you :)

Laura :)xx

Who says you should wear make-up, its your choice.

Some people are very vain in the beauty industry, but really you dont want to be sweating a layer or cake off. That isn't attractive (I've seen plently of those sorts)

Keep to what you wear.

It's the treatments you are performing that are important

:)

A bit of mascara would be fine. I dont think people are expecting you to be caked in make up, just look like you have bothered to make an effort.
Unfortunately first impressions on appearance is normally what people judge you on and remember. Sad but that's the way it is.
I guess it's kind of like going to get a tattoo done with a tattooist that has no tattoo's. I think you should make an effort. You represent your work xxx

I think you should wear a little make-up, lets face it we all look better with it, or is that just me!! :suprised:First impressions do count and I think that if a client looks at you and thinks you have taken time with yourself then will do the same for them. What's 10 min out of your day, after all it is the beauty industry your in.:biggrin:

As already said we are an advert for our work,clients definately take note of our make up,how well it's been applied,colours used etc,I have had my make up mentioned countless times by clients.I take great care in my application every morning I go into the salon.

For me it's part of my routine.I would NEVER go into work without make-up on.Even when I have felt at deaths door I have put my face on.

Some therapists are very fortunate they dont need any help and though yes they look lovely without it and are extremely lucky I dont see this as a good image to the client who comes in for a wedding make-up or a make up lesson.

I think trying to make that extra time available in the mornings before going to work/college is crucial.A well groomed beauty therapist is a well placed advert in itself,and totally free too.HTH

Latest posts

Back