*loss of confidence*st tropez*help*

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybybev

Reaction score
hi everyone - i have used a wide variety of fake tans since the age of 11 mainly in summer on my legs. when i was 15 i tried piz buin spray on tan and reacted painfully with a terrible red rash on teh back of my legs (behind the knee cap) that bubbled and weeped itched and bled i went to the hospital and found that it was a burn :cry: after this i could hardly walk as the skin was pulling. it took a long time to get over it and dare to apply anything to my skin agian. when i was 17 i tried it again - the same happend not as bad. now at 18 i did a St Tropez course forgetting what had happend a few years ago - the first 2 days days the tan was fab then i started to itch the back of my legs (the same place as before) went red , dry and burnt then my neck, chest and face did the same i looked like a snake. i asked my tutor at college she said im allergic to the adh in st tropez however i now do this in my salon but i patch test EVERYONE without fail and one day a lady rang em having the same problem - she was very scared but understood what was happening and said that she doesnt blame me at all. Has anyone had the same problem at all ???? i really feel like i am crap now! i darnt do the st tropez on naybody even after the patch test :rolleyes: what do you guys think???

But if you did a patch test, you were doing your job properly.

The lady reacted after the patch test, so therefore you did her a big favour and saved her from a lot of pain and irritation.

So whats the problem?

Hi Ya,,
That has happened to me once with St Tropez I had done loads and loads and then one client had that reaction on her way to a wedding and phoned me up on the way to Scotland and I was beside myself with worry, because it was my new therapist had done the treatment I redid it thinking it was the way it was applied and the same thing happened again and her husband thereatend to sue me it was horrible and that had never happened to me in 20 years of business but these things happen and you have to remember that you do more than most by patch testing and following the correct guidelines you must put it down to experience but try not lose confidence in your product s or yourself
Hth

But if you did a patch test, you were doing your job properly.

The lady reacted after the patch test, so therefore you did her a big favour and saved her from a lot of pain and irritation.

So whats the problem?

hi sorry i didnt make my self clear im too fussed with what happend! i did the patch test it was fine so she had a full body st tropez classic tan and reacted to that . thats what i find strange. sorry to be a pain! :|

Hi Ya,,
That has happened to me once with St Tropez I had done loads and loads and then one client had that reaction on her way to a wedding and phoned me up on the way to Scotland and I was beside myself with worry, because it was my new therapist had done the treatment I redid it thinking it was the way it was applied and the same thing happened again and her husband thereatend to sue me it was horrible and that had never happened to me in 20 years of business but these things happen and you have to remember that you do more than most by patch testing and following the correct guidelines you must put it down to experience but try not lose confidence in your product s or yourself
Hth

thanks beautybird its nice to know im not the only one who this happens to :S im just starting out and when thing sliek this happen its like running and not jumping over the hurdles! thankyou xx

Very few people are allergic to DHA but when they are they can have a nasty reaction and it can be frightening.

You are doing the right thing by patch testing your clients. I don't patch test very often with my Tantrick spray tanning, but I do offer it and its up to the client. However, I always ask if they have used ANY sunless tanning solution before, be it cream, spray, or whatever and if they have had a reaction (might have been to the perfume or alcohol in some sunless solutions) I insist that they have a patch test. If they have suffered an allergic reaction to DHA then subsequent exposure would be more severe and it would be best to avoid all together, no matter which tanning solution/creams they would like to try.

Don't let your confidence be put to the test.. you sound to be very sensible in your approach, best of luck with building your business. :hug:

thanks hun - ill stick to the patch testing then seems a safe option. thanks && hopefuly i will one day be as good as some of you geeks!!! xx:):hug:

Your concern is understandable Bev but the number of people who have a reaction to tanning solutions (mainly the DHA I believe) is very few. I would only suggest a patch test if the client has had previous reactions to tanning products or where the client requested a patch test (as suggested by most spray tan training I believe).

I wouldnt make it compulsory for all tans to be patch tested as this will probably be un-necessary for most.

Very few people are allergic to DHA but when they are they can have a nasty reaction and it can be frightening.

You are doing the right thing by patch testing your clients. I don't patch test very often with my Tantrick spray tanning, but I do offer it and its up to the client. However, I always ask if they have used ANY sunless tanning solution before, be it cream, spray, or whatever and if they have had a reaction (might have been to the perfume or alcohol in some sunless solutions) I insist that they have a patch test. If they have suffered an allergic reaction to DHA then subsequent exposure would be more severe and it would be best to avoid all together, no matter which tanning solution/creams they would like to try.

Don't let your confidence be put to the test.. you sound to be very sensible in your approach, best of luck with building your business. :hug:

I agree don't let it knock you too much remember you are working with clients and will come across this type of things every client is different the main thing is you are doing everything by the book good luck:lol:

HI

Is your rep called Zoe?? If so she is my rep too and absolutely lovely, give her a call and she will come see you and put all your worries to rest!

Your doing nothing wrong at all, we dont offer patch test's unless we feel it necessary. Please don't let this put you off as you didn't do anything wrong it was just one of those things!

St Tropez is a fab tan and i find clients ask for it by name so its a great business builder.

:hug: :hug:

This has happened to me once in 10 years so its been rare but some people are bound to react even with a sensitive product.

I always recommend a trial tan for a special occasion and do a patch test if they have very sensitive skin. You did the right thing with the patch test but it does seem odd she didn't react with this(!). Where did you do the test??

When it happened to me the client had an allergic reaction to the st tropez spray tan and came out in small blisters. She was having it as a trial for her wedding so thank god she had a trial!

Like everybody has said the important thing is to carry on and not leave it too long till your next tan or you will get more and more nervous about them having a reaction. Maybe try and get your friends to have it done so you can see the fantastic results and get you over your nerves.

Also make sure you use the st tropez consultation cards so you have a record of the treatment!

Latest posts

Back