Lost a client to mma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspirations

Divorced Geek
Reaction score
I started my career in nails in March 2004. I am home based and was new to the area. I was aware at the time of a nail bar which I know now may be using mma. I know this because I have carried out a few soak offs for people from it and I noticed that fishy smell that I have read about. Other clues are that they use big brushes and drills. Anyway, I have seen the damage it has done. I once had a client who had a hole in her nail plate after having them removed (I didn't cause that by the way!) I use a quicksoak system and do it very gently.

I am digressing slightly, so I will get to the point. I am horrified by what I have seen and heard from this place and I try to be professional, but at the same time, warn clients who may use it.

90% of my clients return after 3 weeks without any lifting and all nails still on. On rare occasions I do get missing nails. On the whole, I feel that I may have cracked it, to a degree:confused: !

So, to cut a loooong story short, I nearly gave up recently, because I lost one of my clients to the afore mentioned nail bar. She had had a problem with my nails staying on, cracking, and lifting. I refunded her money and did them for free, but she was advisedby somebody to go to this nail bar because their nails are really tough and don't come off!!!! How can I please everybody? I hate failing!!

Please help....wow...sorry, didn't realise how much I had written!!

Using CND products, which I think are fab!!!

awwwww I am sorry its so annoying when clients think that they are getting a better deal from nails that wont come off and are strong and cheap but little do they know!!!! They are mostly unaware of the risks to them. I was reading on a site the other day about MMA and how the particle sizes are that much smaller and can leak into the bloodstream or something and can cause health problems such as rashes all over the body here is an exert of what I found from the site about MMA....
It may damage the developing foetus
Exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, and throat.
MMA can cause a skin allergy.
Exposure could damage the nervous system. Symptoms may include pins and needles, numbness, weakness, and changes in the ability to remember and concentrate.
Severe side effects may include abnormal liver or kidney function, nervous system damage and reproductive problems.
If all of this is true and the clients were aware of such dangers would you pay to put yourself at such risk? I dont think that these people really understand these dangers. MMA after all was not invented for the nail industry and when used in the dentist industry it is set and not curing while in contact with the body. Normal acrylic does not have these dangers but clients do not understand the differences and think they are just getting a better product at a cheeper cost. Because these techs work fast too the clients seem to pop along in their lunch breaks. I have seen first hand the terrible damage that this MMA has done to someones nails. A girl who I used to work with years ago when I didnt do nails had got her nails done by one of these salons.... OMG her finger got infected and swelled up like a balloon and it went all green and yellow ewwwwwww she had to wear a bandage and it took weeks to clear up even though she was on antibiotics. Anyway her finger is still disfigured to this day and it has never returned to normal plus her nail is really thick and nasty. I think that this should be banned in this country and I cant understand why it isnt? It is so frustrating for people who pay lots of money for a decent product and yet clients will still be tempted by these ''other salons''. Hopefully she will come back to you once she realises how thick the nails are and they usually cut you with the drill too. I have had some clients from an MMA salon who have scars from where they had been cut by the drill in the hands of the wrong person and an MMA user hence they didnt want to return there but had no idea of the risks they were subjected to. ( Now I think I need to stop ranting lol think my post is longer than yours lol)

Thank you. I guess we can't educate everybody. Its such a struggle trying to get mix ratio right when you start out. I wanted to be perfect from the start and that hasn't happened. I'll keep plodding on though!

x

Hello

Dont worry too much about it, you will get a number of clients who prefer to go to those types of salons (I used to be one of them). They will realize that quick, cheap nails are not the best. It took me 3 years to realise that and when I saw the state of my nails when I took them off I was horrified. Now as a nail tech like you (started in March too) I know the risks of mma and electric drills.

Dont give up, its up to us techs to educate our clients about the use of these products. You are doing well so keep it up.

Hey we almost have the same :)

I agree with Loo....

Unfortunatly we will never be able to please all the people all the time....
All we can do is try and educate them, and hope THEY are smart enough to make the right decision.

Also I would just about gaurentee your client wasn't looking after them properly, and would be like some I have had. You know the ones.... the sort that expect nails should be completely bullet proof even though when they have natural nails they destroy them constantly.... !? Some people.....?!!

Just keep doing what you do best and the clients that want good service, care and quality will find their way to you....

Sam or anyone out there for that matter that may know. I am aware that many people have been trying to get a ban on MMA in this country. What is happening about that at the moment is anything going to change, I really hope so it seems that most people bar the MMA users would like a ban on this stuff so why is no one listening are they waiting till loads of bad things happen to the clients or something :Scared: poor people there should be more publicity on MMA on the tv etc and in normal mags so that the public can be more aware of the risks.

rachael (aka chocolate) is on the forefront of trying to bann mma in this country if you go to her website you can sign the petition to bann this filth, whoops, i mean substance. click on link below to sign it.

mma petition.

Just signed it, I think everyone on here who agrees to ban MMA should sign it!!!!!

just signed it! get this vile stuff banned!!

I signed that petition months ago. I don't think this country will ban it. Isn't there a liscensing law coming out, where you have to have insurance to be able to practise.

I don't think a lot of these bars have insurance. So, that should stuff them. Without getting too political. This country won't just issue a ban. We will all have to pay a liscensing fee. They can get more money out of it that way!!!...(Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now).

When I went in my local bar to ask what acrylic they were using. One guy agreed that it was mma. The others cried out "NO". All they kept saying was "its Acrylic!", and showing me their little china pot with pink powder in!!!!!!

I think I wound them up a bit!!!

Latest posts

Back