Make-up Primers. What Do You Recommend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Make-up primers are not in our notes for college, but I am interested in learning more about them. Any ideas on good primers? What are your favourites and why?

Hi

At our college we have to use one in our exams and the one they buy in is from Virgin Vie. I havent used any others so I cant really compare, but 2 girls on my course bring their own in instead of using colleges and one is from MAC and the other is from Screen Face. xxx

Hi

At our college we have to use one in our exams and the one they buy in is from Virgin Vie. I havent used any others so I cant really compare, but 2 girls on my course bring their own in instead of using colleges and one is from MAC and the other is from Screen Face. xxx
Do Virgin Vie have a makeup primer? I used to be a rep for VV and don't recall a primer?

erm....... Im 99% sure its a virgin Vie one we use at college!! I could be wrong. Im gonna check on Tuesday x

Hi Tracy

I can reccommend YSL Youch base primer. The matt touch holds foundation fantastic. Keeps the skin matt for hrs. Fab for brides.

Also clarins flashbalm, is also great as well.

Elaine xx:hug:

Mac prep & prime, i use this on all my clients for bridal and photo work, its so silky smooth and makes the skin look lovely, clarins beauty flash balm is a good one too

I love Smashbox 'Photo finish' Primer (its clear and leaves the skin like velvet)...there's also Models Prefer (which has a yellow tone to it and therefore evens out the skin tone), and philosophy also do a primer called the 'present'.

I know you can get Smashbox from QVC as you can Models prefer. Plus you get the 30 day money back Guarantee. So if you try it and dont like it you can send it back. (Even if its half empty, as long as you return it within the 30 days, and with the original packaging). Thus giving you plenty of opportunity to try it. (And I know some people are bit funny about buying stuff from ppl like QVC but I know with QVC you do get your money back without any problems).

Last edited:
Laura Mercier do a gorgous primer

becki xxx

I love Smashbox 'Photo finish' Primer (its clear and leaves the skin like velvet)...there's also Models Prefer (which has a yellow tone to it and therefore evens out the skin tone), and philosophy also do a primer called the 'present'.

I know you can get Smashbox from QVC as you can Models prefer. Plus you get the 30 day money back Guarantee. So if you try it and dont like it you can send it back. (Even if its half empty, as long as you return it within the 30 days, and with the original packaging). Thus giving you plenty of opportunity to try it. (And I know some people are bit funny about buying stuff from ppl like QVC but I know with QVC you do get your money back without any problems).

This is fabulous stuff. It also 'fills' in fine lines and plumps up the skin leaving a great surface to apply make up.

I wore it on my wedding day and combined with MAC fix+ my make up did not budge !

I believe you can now buy the smashbox range in John Lewis

hth

Thank you for your feedback geeks. The cosmetic world is a minefield. Oh where to start :green:. But there are so many great products out there and your input is helpful. Thanks again :hug: .

I know you posted this ages ago but I just wanted to give you my opinion as I have tried a few of those mentioned.

I have tried Smashbox which is good but I found it a litttle bit greasy, I tried Models Prefer which I found had the same problem, then I tried a Laura Gellar one which is a better texture and is good, it is called SPACKLE. My all time favourite though is Laura Mercier it works, it not greasy and you can see the results, when applying make up, it also makes the make up stay on.

Although I want to try the MAC next, just to see.

How long is makeup supposed to last with "primer"??

funny this thread should come up when I'm on the 'search' LOL

I've been in and out of cosmetics counters, looking for a primer that really holds.

Tried 3 samples so far, put makeup on about 9am.... and at noon, definately needed a touchup. By 5pm... definately did NOT look fresh.
I want something to hold for my wedding.
One had 'silicone' in it and a lovely matte finish, I didn't shine, but still needed a touchup, or three:grr:

Also, 4 makeup artists told me to spray "thermal water" after:confused:.(don't remember hearing that one before)
1- what is the difference between regular water and thermal water
2- what does spraying water do for the face AFTER the makeup is on?

Sorry to hijack, but THANKS for bringing this up!
:hug:

How long is makeup supposed to last with "primer"??

funny this thread should come up when I'm on the 'search' LOL

I've been in and out of cosmetics counters, looking for a primer that really holds.

Tried 3 samples so far, put makeup on about 9am.... and at noon, definately needed a touchup. By 5pm... definately did NOT look fresh.
I want something to hold for my wedding.
One had 'silicone' in it and a lovely matte finish, I didn't shine, but still needed a touchup, or three:grr:

Also, 4 makeup artists told me to spray "thermal water" after:confused:.(don't remember hearing that one before)
1- what is the difference between regular water and thermal water
2- what does spraying water do for the face AFTER the makeup is on?

Sorry to hijack, but THANKS for bringing this up!
:hug:

Interesting you mentioned this Victoria. I went out a couple of weeks ago and purchased YSL primer as it was also highly recommended. My make-up did not last any longer than usual. By midday I had my normal shine and my make-up had lost some of it's colour.

So, does there exist a makeup primer that will hold the makeup 6hrs or whatever, without touchups
Or are touchups inevitable:?:

ps: it is not my eyemakeup that fades, it is my foundation due to combo oily and dry skin.

I use smash box Photo finsh and it also comes with tints green, peach, yellow and on with spf

The one i use is by Anthony Braden

Just an FYI if anyone is interested.

I had a new client come in yesterday. An esthetician with over 20yrs experience, she continually updates her education.

Anyway, when I queried her about primers, she first commented right off the bat about my Acne Rosacea and tendency for oily skin.
She said that I could try all sorts of priimers, but due to the sebum, the makeup would still slide and I'd need touchups. That nothing is going to hold 5 hrs or more.

She said I'd be better with (and hope I'm translating this correctly, as she's french) with an emulsifier and a mattifier to prevent the sebum from dislodging the makeup. Says Smashbox has a great mattifier.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

thanks in advance.:hug:

Latest posts

Back