Make up wannabe-confusion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlygirl

Reaction score
Hi all, just after a bit of advice really aft reading so much conflicting info my head might burst!
I'm a hair stylist who likes to dabble in make up and I'm pretty sure I'd like to take things further.
I actually got accepted to study at the London college of fashion this year but financial commitments meant I had to decline ( devastated about this!)
Anyway I've been looking at various other options, I appreciate short courses don't give me the 'kudos' of lcf but its my only option so I intend to make the best of it!
Does anyone have any advice for me ? Any guidance as to what courses they may have been on/wouldn't bother with etc? My current knowledge is good but I just need a bit of direction- I can apply make up fine so I don't need a complete basics course if you know what I mean. I've actually done make up for some shoots alonside my hair styling etc but feel I need a bit more in terms of knowledge and building my skills.
I know lcf runs a week course that I've looked at and that certainly seems interesting. I'm happy to travel anywhere in the uk really to get the right training....
Also I'm confused by the whole ' qualification' aspect- my nvq makes me a hair stylist but what makes you a make up artist? What's the requirement for a pro card etc?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks geeks x

Firstly I am sorry about the LCF not being an option. This is a tricky one!! There are qualifications available for make up ie - NVQ/C&G/ITEC etc but having done one I would consider it to have been basic and not the right road for actually becoming a freelance make up artist and hair stylist, I expect there will be some who disagree with me. The MUA's that I know and who are seriously successful often come from hair background or sometimes beauty, i know of no professionals that did an NVQ in make up, instead I would say C and Guilds if you want to get a recognised qualification. Also get in touch with the London School of Beauty and Make Up and ask their advice on courses available. Although not a national recognised (I did this as further training) as such but for a direct route into the actual profession and proper training and experience then I would recommend looking into courses with Beauty Base with Mai Lee or the AOFM and taking that route if a degree is no longer an option x

Latest posts

Back