Making a go of semi permanent makeup.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawberry chops

Reaction score
I've just been reading another thread about semi permanent makeup and this person was really slating the industry. I would love to train in this industry but don't know what to think now! Is there anybody out there out there who has trained and just can't make it pay and equally I loved to here from those who love it and haven't looked back.

I've just been reading another thread about semi permanent makeup and this person was really slating the industry. I would love to train in this industry but don't know what to think now! Is there anybody out there out there who has trained and just can't make it pay and equally I loved to here from those who love it and haven't looked back.

I was meant to be doing the training a few month back when i was working at a salon.
We done loads of research into it and contacted a few hospitals and cancer trusts that used SPMU companies for their clients for scar camouflage and the areola and nipple (after reconstruction after a mastectomy).

Finishing touches was the most recommended.

hth

Gemma are you still thinking of doing your PMU training?

Hi all, i did my training last year with Julie McGrath. She was originally trained by Karen Betts. It is very slow and i've done quite a few people and had very good feed back. Its one of these treatments that really need to be recommended. I met a lady today who also trained last year and she said she'd done 7 last week and she's still getting plenty. So i'd like to know where to get more customers from????? I've just signed up to join the alopecia society and looking at doing a yell advert. I have felt like giving up altogether but it's cost me a fortune for the training etc... so can't give up just yet. I also love doing the treatments.

Any help off any other cosmetic therapists would be great.

The areola tattooing is something I've considered having done myself, to make my nipples look more female. I guess that would be a new application for it though (for transgendered people) as it's normally for people who have had mastectomies after breast cancer etc...

I'm surprised that someone has slated the industry though; although I guess there are good, bad and indifferent people doing SPMU so a lot of it would come down to individual recommendation?

Ask Kim - The Wax Queen for a bit of advice.

Gemma are you still thinking of doing your PMU training?

Yes i defiantly still want to do it... i just done have the funds at the moment. :cry::cry:

The areola tattooing is something I've considered having done myself, to make my nipples look more female. I guess that would be a new application for it though (for transgendered people) as it's normally for people who have had mastectomies after breast cancer etc...

Hello Ruth,

This type of work does come by me quite often, there are a fair few people who are not happy with the size of the areola, but far more common there is a colour issue, the areola can look a little translucent and far to pale, reshaping and re pigmentation can work wonders, and gives a nice famine look.

Whoever you choose make sure they are converse with this type of work, they are fully paramedical trained and insured for the procedure.

Heidi xx

Hello Ruth,

This type of work does come by me quite often, there are a fair few people who are not happy with the size of the areola, but far more common there is a colour issue, the areola can look a little translucent and far to pale, reshaping and re pigmentation can work wonders, and gives a nice famine look.

Whoever you choose make sure they are converse with this type of work, they are fully paramedical trained and insured for the procedure.

Heidi xx

Thanks for the recommendation Heidi :)

No problem.

Heidi xx

I'm surprised that someone has slated the industry though; although I guess there are good, bad and indifferent people doing SPMU so a lot of it would come down to individual recommendation?

Hi Ruth. Finishing Touches are in my opinion one of the best for this procedure. When you're ready, ask them if you can be a demo model and it will only cost you about £50. xxx

Hi Ruth. Finishing Touches are in my opinion one of the best for this procedure. When you're ready, ask them if you can be a demo model and it will only cost you about £50. xxx

i would love to do the pmu traning as in my area there is not a salon that does this,
i have allways been entriged by this but i have never had the funds to do it:cry:, well maybe the traning i could manage but then there is the kit to buy:eek:,
how on earth can people afford to train:rolleyes:,
am i right in thinking that for the traning and kit for the eye brows etc,,
including vat would be around £6,000?:eek:
and what time scale are you looking at from the start of the traning to actually preforming a treatment on a client in your salon?
i couldent imagine traning and then doing this work straight after i would be terrified:eek:, but obvousley you are capibale of the job if you have passed:lol:
sorry about all the questions :lol: i would just love to know from someone that had done this allready the ins and outs.
i think i will give finishing touches a call lol.

Cool, thanks for that, Kim, will also be good to be helping geeks out too :)

Hiya,

Kim annd I trained in PMU around the same time, we have chatted a little about PMU and offered advise when needed to each other.
This kind of support is very needed, you are luckt that you have us PMU geeks to fire a load of questions at.

Kim and I trained with different company's and both had great experiences, there are some fab trainers out there, again happy to give advise.

medical tattooing (AREOLA)
there are many who do these treatments, to name a few..

Debra Robson-Lawrence
Finishing Touches
Nouveau Contour (kathy brown)

I'm off to the US next week, i'm going to see how they PMU accross the pond, with experts in the US

always ask for advise befroe you go in for treatment

Jenny x

It is a lot of money to train in PMU and to make a good living at it, you have to devote a lot of time and possibly money to marketing yourself.

The money is in the make up. With the areola's (medical tattooing) you really don't make much from this as people can get it done on the NHS and some charities, so I wouldn't take this into account to start.

It's really rewarding and you'll love it if you do it, but unless you could afford it, you'd need to do some other work. They all try to sell it by saying that you only need one client a week to make ££££'s a year but like I say, you'd really need to market yourself. Good luck. Here if you need us. xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back