Male Clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitmore

Reaction score
Hi

I have has my first male book in for a manicure and peddicure and im really not sure about it.
I have got to go to his house on Saturday. He said he feels uncomfortable in salons as they always put him in a corner with a magazine and forget about him! He also said everyone presumes he is gay and he isn't.
What precautions do you think i should take?
How shall i carry out my treatments as he obviously isn't going to want nail polish on?
Shall i go for mint fragrance products or stick to my citrus products? ( i dont realy want to buy all new stuff just for him incase he doesn't make another appointment)
What shall i do if he is mega fit, he is a fitness instructer, i will go all a quiver!!!:o

Help!

xx

Take a mase gun just in case!!!! :)

No just kidding, stick to your normal citrus products hun, no use buying all new stuff for one client, say to him that if he books in regularly with you then you'll upgrade him to a more masculine line of products and then no one will ever think he's gay! :biggrin:

Just make sure you don't feel uncomfortable, other than that men make the best pedicure clients, they actually behave themselves for once!!! Enjoy it hun and good luck!!! Oh, ask him if he'd like a buff to finish his nails and toe nails but don't make them too shiny!!!

HTH

xxxx

my advice to you - whether he`s fit or not is to BE PROFESSIONAL!!!

There was a post a couple of days ago about personal safety - if you do a search - there should be some tips on there.

If it was me - I`d tell a friend/your mum where your going and ask her to give you a ring on your mobile as if she were a client ringing up for an appointment (about half way through his appointment) - or send you a text - then when you`ve got his feet soaking - you could text her back. give her a rough idea what time you`ll be finished and tell her if you don`t ring her within 10 minutes of this deadline to either call again or come and get you!!!

As for product - you could just buff lightly (so there`s not tooooo much shine on his nails) - and I wouldn`t go buying new products for men - especially seeing as the ones you use are citrus.

Hope that helps

Trace x

Yeah I agree with Rose, if you feel uncomfortable it will rub off (pardon the pun!) on him. I find men easier to deal with, they tend to be less picky as a rule! If I were you I'd slap on the makeup and lippy in the hope that he's a hunk!! Hope it goes OK, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

I would ring your partner, mum, friend etc once you are at his house...(let that person know where you are going & give them his address, how long you should be etc before you set off)...then explain to him once you've arrived that you need to let someone know that you've got there ok & that you do it with all your customers... & make sure you do it within his earshot so he can hear you.. I maybe a bit cynical here but i have had some dodgy encounters with men since iv been mobile so you do need to protect yourself...

If he's ligit he will have no probs with you making a call, will he ??

Thanks for all of your advise. I was actually thinking of my boyfriend taking me and waiting in the car or in a nearby pub. I can let the clienbt see he has dropped me off and then i can call him to come and collect me. If he has not heard from me after an hour then he knows im in trouble.
I might take a Kosh, like a telescophic police mans trunction . Bet a clobber in the b*lls would knock him for six! lol
I know it does not look professional but im scared! I dont want to turn the work away and he will probably be ok but you cant be too sure can you. My boyfriend is fine with doing this, i just feel guilty as he may get bored!

xx

whitmore said:
Thanks for all of your advise. I was actually thinking of my boyfriend taking me and waiting in the car or in a nearby pub. I can let the clienbt see he has dropped me off and then i can call him to come and collect me. If he has not heard from me after an hour then he knows im in trouble.
I might take a Kosh, like a telescophic police mans trunction . Bet a clobber in the b*lls would knock him for six! lol
I know it does not look professional but im scared! I dont want to turn the work away and he will probably be ok but you cant be too sure can you. My boyfriend is fine with doing this, i just feel guilty as he may get bored!

xx

I think that's a very good & wise idea hun- at the end of the day YOU are the one going to this man's house not us, so do what ever you like that will make you feel more safe & comfortable.. as for you BF getting bored... well it's only an hour down the pub, sure he can find something to do. :idea:

Good luck babes :hug:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...

Do not feel embarrassed to take someone along with you!. Some men can be nasty pieces of work and unfortunately do not have it written on their forehead and that is why God gave women an instinct.

No legitimate customer will mind if you:
(a) take someone with you
(b) if you can't do that, ring him up and explain that as you are coming on your own you will be leaving his details with a friend and you will be speaking to someone on arrival to let them know you are safe and well and also when you leave, and you have told your friend that the appointment is expected to be, say 40 mins, long.

If he is a gentlemen he will not mind this in the least. Think how your brother would react or your dad. They wouldn't mind at all and would just see it as a sensible precaution. It is far better for you to offend someone and lose thirty quid, than to end up down the local rape counselling centre. That, believe me, would not be worth the money you could potentially lose because you'll still be coming to terms with it in 10 or 20 years time and saying "what if".

One of the common similarities among rape victims is the fact that they went along with something that seemed innocent, although they knew something wasn't quite right but couldn't put their finger on it, because they did not want to seem offensive. (i.e one woman said her rapist insisted on helping her carry her heavy shopping right to her front door even tho she said she was fine, when they got there he insisted on helping her in and, even tho she didn't want him to, she felt she was being rude by not letting him. He subsequently raped her in her kitchen.)

One more thing, if you're going mobile have a code. I tell my mom to ring me and, when she does, if I ask her how my dog's tail is, then there is something wrong and to call the police.

i agree ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!!!!

I won't treat men (for spray tans, anyway) at my salon. as i am there on my own most of the time, and strongly feel that putting myself at risk (locked room, in an empty salon with and semi-naked man i don't know...) is just not worth it.

as others have said... if he is genuine he wont mind you being accompanied, or making a call to let your family / partner know you are there, and when you will be leaving

better safe than sorry

x

My hubby insists that I take a friend along when I see male clients. I have never had a male client complain, I just say its my policy and they accept that. Most times my friend is given a cup of coffee and sits with us for a natter which most blokes seem to enjoy. or if they would rather, tracey sits in another room within earshot.
As for products, I use citrus smellies but plain scent free oil for the massage.I finish with a soft buff.

Hi All

Just thought I would let you know how I got on on Saturday with my first male client.
He was actually a real nice guy. I explained to him that my other half was outside as he felt a bit unsure about me visiting a male client, he was fine and even offered for him to come in. I declined as i thought it would create an atmosphere as my chap is quite moody. We had a real good chat and i think he was pleased with his treatments. OMG, i forgot my foot file and ended up blagging my way through it by usind a 120 grit file on his feet... hahahahaha. He was fine though and he hardly had any rough skin so that was well lucky!

xx

:) Well done!!! I'm glad it all went well.

glad to hear it all went well for you, did he re-book with you?
tara x

cool, glad things went ok.

He didn't re book as he said he would see how he went and book in when he felt he needed to, even suggested that he may need them done every week. I was realy dreading it but i was pleased with the out come.
I have another male booked in this weekend for a full set of enhancements! He is definitly gay as my hairdresser is his other half!

xx

I've only ever 'done' male clients when their other halves are there. I had a couple who were off to the Bahamas to get married. As thy were getting married on the beach, barefoot, they both wanted a pedicure. I felt fine about this but don't know how I'd feel about going alone.

I think taking someone with you is def the way to go. Get your boyf to take you and sit outside, he can always read the paper or think about what he's gonna buy you for xmas!

It's prob difficult for a man too in this situation. Why don't you take a personal attack alarm. They're REALLY loud and it would give you enough time to get out if necessary.

Also USE YOUR INSTINCT. It's better to offend someone cos you don't feel comfortable than getting into a situatiuon you can't handle.

Good luck and let us know what you decidfed to do and how it goes!!

Latest posts

Back