Manicure - Advice please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamimac

Stringfellows Geek
Reaction score
Hi, I am l&p trained at the moment and am shortly going to do the creative l&p induction course.
I do offer manis at the moment, but all the manicure training Ive ever had is an evening class that ran for a few months once a week on manis and pedis. There was no formal qualification from that , just a beauty therapist skill sharing.
I also watched a couple of training videos (yes I KNOW thats not enough) and watched manis being performed many times.
I never offer anything more than a gentle exfoliation, quick soak, cuticle treatment (no nipping or cutting) nail shape, massage, mask and polish.

I am planning on doing a mani course next year, but am I breaking any rules by offering this treatment without a manicure qualification. Also, can I do a mani course through creative? I never really thought about this before as I assumed that it was ok. :o

tamimac said:
Hi, I am l&p trained at the moment and am shortly going to do the creative l&p induction course.
I do offer manis at the moment, but all the manicure training Ive ever had is an evening class that ran for a few months once a week on manis and pedis. There was no formal qualification from that , just a beauty therapist skill sharing.
I also watched a couple of training videos (yes I KNOW thats not enough) and watched manis being performed many times.
I never offer anything more than a gentle exfoliation, quick soak, cuticle treatment (no nipping or cutting) nail shape, massage, mask and polish.

I am planning on doing a mani course next year, but am I breaking any rules by offering this treatment without a manicure qualification. Also, can I do a mani course through creative? I never really thought about this before as I assumed that it was ok. :o

CND do a Spa Mani and Pedi course, not sure if you need a mani cert to do it though.:)

Hi doll. I think you sound as though you're quite competent in doing a manicure. Unless you need a cert, I don't think you need to do another course on just that. xxx

Marilyn said:
CND do a Spa Mani and Pedi course, not sure if you need a mani cert to do it though.:)
It says on the website 'for qualified nail techs and beauty therapists' any idea wether thats only techs qualified by creative or all qualified techs? I think its too early to hassle the nice ladies at cnd. They wont have had their morning coffee.:biggrin: I really must have more patience....
Do you know when I started all this nails malarky 4 years ago, I really thought one homelearn course and thats that... the stuff to learn is never ending!
Natalie from Cyprus... you should have warned me!:eek:

I did a manicure course at college and we learned all about the bones and the muscles and problems that you might encounter with the hands and nails as well as indepth manicure treatments - paraffin waxing etc.

I do not do my manicures anything like the way I was taught at college. I do not soak the nails as I believe this dries the nails out and causes more problems than it cures. I use oils and heated mitts to soften the cuticles.

I would suggest you do your college course as no training is ever wasted.

There are several good books that will give you information on manicures and the problems you could encounter - The Nail Encyclopedia - A Swain/J Jefford and the Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman are two of the best all rounders.

Hi,

To be properly insured I think you need to have a formal qualification in manicures of some variety.

CND only do the Spa Mani / Pedi "conversion" where they teach you how to use their products etc. They don't actually teach you how to perform a mani or any of the A & P as they expect you to already know this.

River

i phoned creative for my mate and they told me she could do the mani and pedi course as long as she held a beauticians certificate. did not have to be trained by them as long as she could prove she was trained in beauty therapy.

Because as part of th beauty thraphy courses they do their manicure and pedicure sections and are covered by the NVQ or relevant qualification they do.

was your night class not a vtct class?i did an evening class also and i recieved a certificate in this. It is not specific to a company but i am still qualified.

Cuttie_Pie said:
was your night class not a vtct class?i did an evening class also and i recieved a certificate in this. It is not specific to a company but i am still qualified.
No, I was living in cyprus at the time and the education centre on base (We're in the raf) organised for some evening classes, just for fun really. They were trying to keep all of us bored, desperate housewives out of trouble:biggrin:
The beauty therapist was not qualified to teach anything ( although she was qualified herself with years of experience) she was just there doing fun lessons in manis, pedis, facials and makeup. All very straight forward and basic but she was very firm that this was in no way a qualification and we could not really use these skills to make money. She was adamant that it was just fun and refused to teach anything which involved cutting, scraping trimming ect which we could accidentally hurt someone with.

Is there a way I could just learn manis and pedis without all the other stuff as I really cannot go to colledge for ages I have to work part time and I have 3 kids and I work mobile and In a salon on saturdays and I do stringfellows parties in the evening! I dont have any time left!

ask at your local colleges i know my college does eveining class which are about 3 hrs long for about 22 weeks its quite good and got a vtct out of it.

Latest posts

Back