Massage when pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummy earth

Reaction score
Hi,One of my regular back massage clients is pregnant (8 weeks) she wants to book in for a back massage, should I tell her I can't do it?I haven't trained In prenatal massage but am an expert in body massage.

Al

I am qualified to perform pregnancy massage, if she's comfortable lying on her stomach, there's no reason why you can't do a back massage for her in the normal way. If you'd prefer her to get a doctor's note first then you're quite within your rights to ask for one.
Failing that, have her sit on a chair and lean forwards onto the couch, and massage her in an upright position, or lie her on her side and massage her back in this way...
There's always a way to massage a pregnant lady, and it's so beneficial!! just be aware that the lower back might be a little more tender than usual, so just go carefully.
Any more questions, just ask! Good luck!!

But would I be insured, supppose I could check

I would double check, but I'm sure I treated ladies who were pregnant before I took the course, and had absolutely no problems at all. As long as you're cautious, and don't use any essential oils, you'll be fine. (And no reflexology!).
If you need a course to cover yourself insurance-wise, the School of Natural Therapies runs one, it's a 3 day course, and it's brilliant.

Thanks for your help

Al

I have a client who I massage rght up to 2 days before she gave birth. We used to do her back with her on a chair, (with the breaks on, lol) then Iused to raise my couch up to full height, and put lots of pillows. She then lent on the pillows and it ept her back straight, neck accessable and was comfortable for her. My insurance co had no probs with it, as long as her midwife was happy.

Be very careful.... I was talking to a midwife who is also qualified in massage and she refused to massage me (i'm 10 weeks pregnant) as she said under 16 weeks (well officailly it's 12 but says 16 to be safe) you shouldn't massage as it can induce miscarriage. I was also told this at college last night when i was on my manicure course. I did a manicure on a massage student and she was going to give me a massage in return. But wasn't allowed as i wasn't far enough on in my pregnancy.

After 12 weeks though is apparently fine.

you couldn't have a hand massage because you are pregnant? I loved massages when I was pregnant and was waxed right the way through actually had my legs waxed to go into hospital as soon as my labour started. Took my mind off the contractions!!!!

No sorry, i gave her a manicure then she was going to do me a back massage in return. But it wasn't allowed as it could induce misscarriage.

I have just completed my swedish massage course and was never told it was dangerous to massage in the first 3 weeks, but the midwife i spoke to told me it was.....also a different course tutor last night confirmed it was true.

Personally I would certainly get Dr's permission first... At college we were taught that pregnancy can be a contra-indication... Massaging feet and legs can be very beneficial to pregnant ladies, but I would be very warey of performing massage in areas such as the lower back an abdomen without permission from her GP or midwife... And I would definately double check with your insurers as well.

It seems odd to me that there are specific pregnancy massage courses available if you are able to massage under a normal Massage Qualification. I'm just finishing my VTCT Level 3 in Swedish Body Massage, and will be looking at adding on other massage therapies such as pregnancy, hot stone, colonic, baby etc, so if this course isn't necessary to treat pregnant ladies, could you let me know?

Many thanks!!

J Xx

I'm sure massage is a contra-indication in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and I don't think I'm covered with my insurance if I did do it.
I don't think its ever been proved that its made somebody miscarry, but as the first 12 weeks is the most likely time that someone may miscarry its best avoided.

I have clients who have been recommended by their IVF doctor to have massages for stress relief through out their pregnancy, these are mothers that are surely high risk for miscarriage! There are so many contradictory recommendations. I am unsure as how massage on a healthy mother without essential oils could cause a miscarriage. I would say obviously don't have them on their stomach when they are not allowed to be and don't massage the stomach in the first trimester.:hug: Check insurance and if you don't feel confident to do it then don't.

Read this article it covers it on page two x Prenatal health through massage therapy: for women and their babies: Julie Howell, N.M.T., P.M.T., details the benefits and debunks the myths of massage for the expecting | New Life Journal | Find Articles at BNET.com

Last edited:
Hi,
Massage doesn't cause miscarriage. As the majority of miscarriages do occur in the first 12 weeks, that is why we do not massage before this. Also, check your insurance, as there may be a stipulation in it regarding pregnancy, if in doubt ring them. You can also get a note signed by the midwife/doctor, but as long as the pregnancy is going well and without any hitches, then it is normally a safe and very enjoyable treatment for the client.
Massage, aromatherapy (excluding some oils) and reflexology can be beneficial in pregnancy and I had both, during and throughout labour. Luckily I was able to have reflexology in the early weeks which really helped lessen the morning sickness that I suffered, but only because my sister had trained in it with me. If I'd have gone anywhere else they wouldn't have done it.
Hope this helps,
Claire x

A therapist who is trained in pregnancy massage told me the other week that from January of this year therapists are not able to offer pregnancy massages unless they have undergone the relevant pregnancy massage qualification to do so. She said that details could be obtained from the royal midwifery organisation (or something like that).

We are currently looking into offering pregnancy treatments and have been making inquiries regarding the training that is available. There are a number of courses available if you do a google search.

For insurance purposes I definitely wouldn't massage a pregnant lady before 12 weeks.

A therapist who is trained in pregnancy massage told me the other week that from January of this year therapists are not able to offer pregnancy massages unless they have undergone the relevant pregnancy massage qualification to do so. She said that details could be obtained from the royal midwifery organisation (or something like that).

We are currently looking into offering pregnancy treatments and have been making inquiries regarding the training that is available. There are a number of courses available if you do a google search.

For insurance purposes I definitely wouldn't massage a pregnant lady before 12 weeks.

Hi,
I've not heard this anywhere and I've just renewed my insurance so would have expected it to be in the terms and conditions; at the very least. Maybe this is a requirement for Health Professionals, as I enquired with the Midwives at our local antenatal unit but were told that they were unable to offer therapies any longer for labouring women. Can't remember the reasons why though. Could you find out exactly where this info. has come from?
Claire x

Latest posts

Back