Matte black Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OKAY... So OPI makes a Matte Top Coat. On this side of the pond people mix anything and everything. It works for us. But you might have different rules and regulations. And from a manufacturer stand point, we don't recommend you using anything but ours. (ANY manufacturer)

SO... here is a little secret... Put 3 layers of color, DO NOT put top coat and wipe the inhibition layer. BAM!!! You got Matte. No buffer and the results are an even matte nail.

I have done this with OPI GelColor a hundred times, I don't see why it wouldn't work with CND or and other brand. Keep in mind that matte works better on darker colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect! Ill give it a try! It's only on myself and so I'm not offering it to clients. If it doesn't work I can remove it :) xx

Wouldn't omitting the top coat compromise the longevity of the service and be risking service breakdown- it certainly would with Shellac - I use the glossing buffer as already suggested and get fab results which last two weeks onwards!

x

Wouldn't omitting the top coat compromise the longevity of the service and be risking service breakdown- it certainly would with Shellac - I use the glossing buffer as already suggested and get fab results which last two weeks onwards!

x

Totally agree. No need to over complicate it. Buy a buffer. Buff off the shine. Cheapest and easiest method without exposing the colour coat to chemicals that may break it down. Always use the top coat as recommended and you will get the most from your manicure.😊

OKAY... So OPI makes a Matte Top Coat. On this side of the pond people mix anything and everything. It works for us. But you might have different rules and regulations. And from a manufacturer stand point, we don't recommend you using anything but ours. (ANY manufacturer)

SO... here is a little secret... Put 3 layers of color, DO NOT put top coat and wipe the inhibition layer. BAM!!! You got Matte. No buffer and the results are an even matte nail.

I have done this with OPI GelColor a hundred times, I don't see why it wouldn't work with CND or and other brand. Keep in mind that matte works better on darker colors.

This doesn't work at all with shellac. I was doing a clients nails in lobster roll a while ago and she got a phone call and had to leave immediately & come back. In 2 hours the colour had really badly worn off and obviously I had to start again.
Topcoat is used for a reason.
Just do your service and then lightly buff the surface to remove shine.

This doesn't work at all with shellac. I was doing a clients nails in lobster roll a while ago and she got a phone call and had to leave immediately & come back. In 2 hours the colour had really badly worn off and obviously I had to start again.
Topcoat is used for a reason.
Just do your service and then lightly buff the surface to remove shine.

Aww, that sucks.. Well not applying the top coat to OPI Gelcolor will give you that matte look. AND it'll last. It's something we used to teach before the matte top coat came out. It had been tested and no issues straight from corporate. OTHER PRODUCTS may vary. :sad:. I just thought it was something that could be done with CND as well. Nevermind. lol

With shellac you put on two layers of top coat,(curing in between! ) then gently buff off the top layer using a 220/280 sponge buffer.... The light buffing will matt the very top coat but will not remove the first top coat layer nor will it affect the manicure. This method works well with Gelish too although rumour has it Harmony are bringing out a matt tio :)

Last edited:
I've just tried to do this with a white block to take the top coat layer off but just found it scratched it 😔 x

I've just tried to do this with a white block to take the top coat layer off but just found it scratched it 😔 x

Hi. You can use a 100/180 sponge buffer but this will leave scratches so then you can go over gently with a sponge 220/280 grit buffer which will smooth out any scratches. I personally use the Harmony or Entity 220/280 hth.x

This is what I use the buffer to create
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378643116.879021.jpg

I did matte nails with shellac the other day to try the water drop effect, just used on layer of top coat and lightly buffed with koala buffer, perfect matte effect with top coat still intact :)

Hi. You can use a 100/180 sponge buffer but this will leave scratches so then you can go over gently with a sponge 220/280 grit buffer which will smooth out any scratches. I personally use the Harmony or Entity 220/280 hth.x

Thanks hun, ill give that a go. The purple nails are gorgeous btw xx

I did matte nails with shellac the other day to try the water drop effect, just used on layer of top coat and lightly buffed with koala buffer, perfect matte effect with top coat still intact :)

What's the water drop effect? Xx

What's the water drop effect? Xx

To get the droplets you just use the top coat and a dotting tool. Pop some top coat on a piece of foil, tile or egg cup and use the dotting tool to put drops it top coat on and then just cure as normal. :)

As stated above, you buff the nail to get matte look then use a dotting tool and some top coat to make a 'water drop' effect. The pic isnt ones ive done but it gives you an idea, really easy to do :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1378648395299.jpg
    1378648395299.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 735
Thanks ladies, looks like I've got a bit of playing to do!! They look brill xx

If you are wanting to create a matte effect with CND shellac the best way to do this is ...
After completing you service remove the sticky layer with 99% IPA then with the GREEEEEEEEN side of a CND glossing buffer work over the surface of the nail! Beautiful matte CND shellac and you only need to use ONE layer of CND shellac top coat :)

Could you do this technic to get a matte effect with Vinylux?

Ladies I use gelicure but do Matt effect exactly the same as above by buffing but when I tried to do shinny tips with top coat this is what happened after curing, any advice why this happened and what to do so perfect please???😁ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383471206.709109.jpg

Could you do this technic to get a matte effect with Vinylux?

No i dont think you could.
Sweet squared,cnd, used to do a MATTE topcoat.You could use that

Latest posts

Back