Melting l&p???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMS

Reaction score
Hi, i was talking to a lady i work with last night, discussing the fcnc course iv almost completed, and about the different nail enhancements and things, etc. and she started telling telling me a horror story about the last time she had her nails done...

Apparently she had a set of l&p done by a very cheap 'qualified' mobile tech (£10 for the set), looking back on it she said that there was nothing anywhere written or otherwise stating this techs qualifcations, anyhow apparently the tech didnt prep her nail at all....apart from filling her nail (not good huh!!), before applying the tip and product. Not only did the tech cut all her skin, the day after she had had them done she flew to greece, and apparently they started melting, bubbling and cracked, and actually blistered her skin.

Her nails are still marked from having removed the nails, and this is now 10 months later...

Could this have been MMA that the tech was using? My colleaugue said the tech made her wear some kind of glow with the very tips cut out and the tech herself wore a mask and gloves herself:confused:...just curious about this because iv never heard anything like it.

Also she said that she would never have them done again but liked the look of mine (generously done by JCS), and may decide to give it a go, however i thought perhaps if it wasn't MMA being used perhaps she is severely allergic to either the liquid or product?!?!

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanx, Gemma xx

Sorry, just bumping this forward coz havnt had any replys! Don't suppose anybody has any ideas what might have been the cause of her problem?? I'll be seeing her again in work you see on monday and don't know whether to say yes or no to her having L&P done!

Thanx for your help xx

Have to say, i'm really not sure what could have caused that, but if you are worried about her having an allergic reaction to the L&P, all i can suggest is you do one nail with L&P, just an overlay and tell her to contact you if any reaction occurs so it can be removed straight away. I think this is the only way of knowing if she is allergic to the L&P. I think if she is that allergic, she may even start to have a reaction while she is still with you. Just tell her to look for any redness, puffiness or irritation of any kind. If she gets any of this, then i would say enhancements aren't for her. Then offer manicures instead.

I can't say i've heard of anything that bubbles up, ( unless that was pocket lifting due to improper prep) or blisters being caused. I'm sure someone will have something else to add on this. Cracking could be caused by the lack of strength in the overlay not being thick enough at the stress point.

just sounds really bizarre. Hope you sort something out, keep us posted. Hope this helps.

Hi, I hope some of this helps
GMS said:
Hi, i was talking to a lady i work with last night, discussing the fcnc course iv almost completed, and about the different nail enhancements and things, etc. and she started telling telling me a horror story about the last time she had her nails done...

Apparently she had a set of l&p done by a very cheap 'qualified' (a lot of people who have completed their basic nail course think they are qualified, this is a big misconception and very misleading) mobile tech (£10 for the set), looking back on it she said that there was nothing anywhere written or otherwise stating this techs qualifcations, anyhow apparently the tech didnt prep her nail at all....apart from filling her nail (not good huh!!), before applying the tip and product. Not only did the tech cut all her skin, the day after she had had them done she flew to greece, and apparently they started melting, bubbling and cracked, and actually blistered her skin. (can she get hold of the tech to find out what products she used. I have never heard of a product melting like this so can't help I am afraid)

Her nails are still marked from having removed the nails, and this is now 10 months later... (if the nails were damaged by the product then this would probably be temporary and after 10 months that damage would have grown out. Either this marking is being caused by something totally unrelated to the set she had done, or if the skin blisetered badly enough it may have affected the matrix)

Could this have been MMA that the tech was using? My colleaugue said the tech made her wear some kind of glow with the very tips cut out and the tech herself wore a mask and gloves herself:confused:...just curious about this because iv never heard anything like it. (that's the oddest thing I have heard of, but another thought could be that the gloves she wore were latex, and it could have been a latex allergy that caused her skin to react, again just another thought)

Also she said that she would never have them done again but liked the look of mine (generously done by JCS), and may decide to give it a go, however i thought perhaps if it wasn't MMA being used perhaps she is severely allergic to either the liquid or product?!?! (it could have been the monomer, but some people are allergic to adhesives too, so try a test of an overlay on one nail, if that doesn't react then try a tip and overlay on a nail to see if it is adhesive she reacts to.

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated

From what you have said the whole thing sounds dodgy, but don't assume it is MMA, we are all guilty of pinning any problems that arise on MMA. But DO keep educating people on what they should expect from their nail tech and salon re application, hygiene, etc - we will get the public aware of what is right and wrong when having nail products applied. HTH
Thanx, Gemma xx

Thanks for your replies, I'll do a small test on one of her fingers perhaps and see how she gets on with it.

Have to say it all sounds very peculiar to me, perhaps there might of been a tiny case of her slightly exhaggerating it all...however i don't know as i wasnt there and the customer is always right! :eek:....?? lol

Thanx again

Gemma xx

I've thought about this a bit more Gemma and actually I do remember seeing a similar thing. The product didn't melt, but it did go bubbly (as in air bubbles in the product) and was able to just peel off (sort of like melting!!). This is because the tech hada huge dappen dish and didn't change her monomer regularly enough and so it was old and contaminated, and wouldn't polymerise properly. So maybe it was this as well.

Sassy Hassy said:
I've thought about this a bit more Gemma and actually I do remember seeing a similar thing. The product didn't melt, but it did go bubbly (as in air bubbles in the product) and was able to just peel off (sort of like melting!!). This is because the tech hada huge dappen dish and didn't change her monomer regularly enough and so it was old and contaminated, and wouldn't polymerise properly. So maybe it was this as well.
Yea perhaps it was, come to think about it she mentioned about being able to peel it off!

Thanx for your help with this I'll have a word with her about it tonight and see if shes decided to have them done again or not, if she is though I'll definately do a small test on her first just to be on the safe side!

Gemma xx

although this really hasn't got anything to do with melting nails I thought i'd share this with you. When I first started out I worked in a tanning salon and my first set of nails were done on a 16 year old a treat from her mum. My employer supplyed all products and when I finished putting the acrylic on I realised my employer had just gone out a brought the first bottle of liquid she could find because as I started to file I relised the acrylic had not set.As luck would have it (for me not for her!) I was wondering how I was going to get out of the situation when suddenly my client who must have had something bad for lunch threw up absolutly EVERYWHERE! all over the table all over herself and all over the floor what a stroke of luck. We managed to bundle her out of the shop before she realised what had happened and I never ever worked for them again.

Latest posts

Back