Mental health hospital - working mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coops

Reaction score
I've been approached by a local mental health hospital about going to work for the day once a month doing patients hair, I'm going to see the place and have a chat next week. Does anyone do this? Any tips on charging? Equipment? Safety? Anything I should be asking? Thanks in advance xx

I've been approached by a local mental health hospital about going to work for the day once a month doing patients hair, I'm going to see the place and have a chat next week. Does anyone do this? Any tips on charging? Equipment? Safety? Anything I should be asking? Thanks in advance xx
In all honestly, I would charge a lot less than you normally would, these are sick people, and you doing their hair will make a world of a difference to you. now in terms of safety. make sure ALL sharps are ALWAYS accounted for. this is not your your safety, it's for them. Avoid taking any laces/necklaces/belts or strings in with you, that means no holsters. in terms of tools, try to make sure they are non matalic. Ask the nurses in private if there will be any safety concerns regarding individuals, they should not, however, allow dangerous people near you. anything else. if there is anything else you feel ive missed out feel free to ask :)

I would charge at least, if not MORE than, what you'd earn on an average day currently.

It's going to be hard work. I used to work for the NHS in a MH unit, it's a faff getting in and out, if it's anything like where I worked you'll need to book all of your equipment in and out and account for every single item down to your last hair grip at the end of the day.

It's unlikely to be a day of nice washes and blow drys, You're probably going to be fixing up some hair that's in some terrible states - think along the lines of unwashed and not brushed for weeks.

You'll be provided with a list of restricted items, you should be accompanied by a staff member at all times and they'll talk you through personal safety, if its for the NHS you might even have to attend their personal safety course.

That will be a nice job, really help brighten up there day x

Thank you, lots to think about, I really want to do it, but think I'm going to have a list of questions to take with me. I don't know if the patients pay for the services or the hospital does, I'm wondering if a contract should be thought about if it's the latter?

Latest posts

Back