Microdermabrasion or micropen

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey92

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the different benefits in these treatments?

Much appreciated x

By micropen I’m guessing a needling device.
Completely different treatments. MDB sands off the top layers of the skin and a needling pen pierces the skin to stimulate a healing cascade that triggers production of collagen and elastin. I personally would never use MDB but use a needling pen on clients regularly.

Vic x

Thank you.
Im terrible for looking after my skin
& MDB is cropping up all over the Newcastle area, not so much the microneedling, I'd like to start regularly having 1 of these treatments but i didnt know the key benefits from them.
What is it about MDB you dont like?

It literally scours off the top of your skin and disrupts the protection of the acid mantle. I don’t see a lot to recommend it. I use it on very rare occasions when a client has a build up of products. It’s a quick and easy way to brighten. As a stand alone treatment I don’t think it gives as good a result as a peel which can really stimulate the skin to refresh and renew itself.

Needling is completely different. It pierces the skin to cause trauma and to reheal. Probably one of my favourite treatments as the results can be amazing.

Vic x

Last edited:
I have had very good results using MDA but I very much agree it depends on what skin type you are using it on. It is good for thickened skins due to cellular build up and works very well on old scar tissue. It is also good for removing impurities. I would not use on delicate skin types or those with a fragile barrier function. Peels depending on their ingredients can penetrate and rejuvenate at a deeper level and depending on their pH can also disrupt the acid mantle but a good one from a reputable company will be formulated correctly to cause minimal distress. Needling is a great treatment again but over zealous use for the skin type can cause PIH. There are pros and cons to most treatments so it depends on the skin type assessment, therapist experience and product or modality used.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back