Missing necklace in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann@vipnails

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help please?

I have a situation where a client necklace has disappeared, it was in treatment room and client left , i saw it and when i went to give to her next day it was gone! What policy do you have for situations like this? I feel I have to reimburse the price of necklace to protect my reputation, i believe it is in salon and have searched !!the girl who works with me is trustorthy, what can I do ? thanks ann

Hi, can anyone help please?

I have a situation where a client necklace has disappeared, it was in treatment room and client left , i saw it and when i went to give to her next day it was gone! What policy do you have for situations like this? I feel I have to reimburse the price of necklace to protect my reputation, i believe it is in salon and have searched !!the girl who works with me is trustorthy, what can I do ? thanks ann
Exactly the same happened to me a couple of years ago, it's awful isn't it, I know exactly how you feel. I remember my client removing her ring for a spray tan, having the tan, then she called the next day to say she'd left her ring at the salon. . . it was around the same time that I was just about to move house, had loads on my mind and wasnt really thinking straight. I searched high and low, my totally trustworthy employee wasn't even there when I'd finished the tan and I couldn't think what could have happened to the ring.

Long story short . . she was very understanding and gave me weeks to see if it came to light, but it didn't, she never once mentioned compensation or complained, and in the end I felt so bad about it I wrote her a letter apologising and enclosing £100 worth of vouchers to use in the salon, asking her if this would be acceptable. She was more than happy, luckily for me, as it could have turned into a horrible situation if she hadn't been so reasonable. And I still have her as a client.

I know everybody is different, but in this kind of situation when we feel it is our resposibility, I would rather take the bull by the horns and try and put things right.
However, depending on her necklace, if it was extremely valuable, I suppose you would have to claim on your insurance.
But as long as you are honest with your client she will respect you for it.

good luck sorting this out x x

Could another client have lifted it? Who else went in the room?

i can see why you feel bad, but really you shouldnt.

the client should not have worn it really, or should have put it in her handbag when she removed it.

i do hope it turns up though, coz even though its not really your responsibility i can understand how it would make you feel.

most household insurances should cover this though, so the client should claim on her policy as shes the one responsible for losing it in the first place.

Sounds horrid to say it but another client probably took it becasue this happend in a friends tanning salon quiet alot realy off but people can be real dishonest!! What about after sorting things with the lady having one of those signs that says something like the salon/staff accept no responsibility for items left here or something like that, how did you get on with the lady xxxx

Hi, thanks to everyone for replies!!! so kind!!!!

I was on holiday last week and left message with client answering machine that I would replace chain and be in touch again that was Saturday by the wed she was very angry with my staff, i called her from holiday reassuring her and reminding her i left message saying i would replace and would be in touch when i returned! back to work and telephoned her no answer left message, the next day she came into salon irrate and my stomach turned!!! in front of clients i politely asked her into treatment room, took a breath and asked her to produce a receipt for amount of chain and i would go to shop and purchase. She was angry and i apologised again and she told me she was having problems. I reported to police knowing there was no benefit but to keep me right. Awaiting her return.... I have learned as previously suggested (thanks) put a notice up saying not responsible for client property and put valuables in til, thanks again everyone annxxx A BIG LEARNING CURVE

Hi, thanks to everyone for replies!!! so kind!!!!

I was on holiday last week and left message with client answering machine that I would replace chain and be in touch again that was Saturday by the wed she was very angry with my staff, i called her from holiday reassuring her and reminding her i left message saying i would replace and would be in touch when i returned! back to work and telephoned her no answer left message, the next day she came into salon irrate and my stomach turned!!! in front of clients i politely asked her into treatment room, took a breath and asked her to produce a receipt for amount of chain and i would go to shop and purchase. She was angry and i apologised again and she told me she was having problems. I reported to police knowing there was no benefit but to keep me right. Awaiting her return.... I have learned as previously suggested (thanks) put a notice up saying not responsible for client property and put valuables in til, thanks again everyone annxxx A BIG LEARNING CURVE

ann, i think she has a cheek to be getting shirty with you.
shes the one who left it behind in the first place.

its obvious that you are genuine or you would never have phoned her to say it was at your salon in the first place.

you are being beyond reasonable offering to replace it, i think she should be claiming on her own insurance. is it a valuable piece ?

this happened to me once...

My pet ferret stole a guys watch while he was naked in the solarium .... (he woke up, Scoots looked at him , chuckled (yes ferrets chuckle) with watch in mouth and took off). It was a huge game (Ferret means "little thief" in French.

I found it hidden in the cupboard under the sink 3 days later (along with various buffers, soft toys, lotion containers and files):)

Hope yours turns up somewhere too.

ha ha love the ferret story....:lol:

I tried to reply yesterday but stupid thing never works...:irked:

Anyway what I was going to say was....Is it really your responsibility?

Is it not up to the client to ensure her jewellery or anything of value is safe?
Maybe leave it at home would have been a good idea.

I know for the sake of reputation and everything it is perhaps a good idea to compensate this woman in some way....

but at the end of the day she has to take most of the responsibility and getting angry with you is not fair.( so long as it wasn't stolen! ) You sound like you have done all you could...and I think a disclaimer on the wall is a great idea.

I hope you come to an acceptable resolution for the both of you....xx

I am sick sick sick!!!! ladys husband came in with quote for new chain
£396 I nearly died, cannot believe it, i was with a client as well!!!!
The chain i saw was a curb ladies chain......but not £396 worth i am gutted, have now telephoned business federation,I have access to a free lawyer with them, i was happy to pay for chain but they are taking the mickey now, will let you all know outcome, thanks for support, i would be lost without you all xxx

Does your insurance cover this type of thing?

I so wonder where the neck lace went!!?? How could it just vanish? Mysterious, hey.

P.S. Nailzoo: you have a ferret! How ace :green:

£396...blimy....she should have gone to Argos!!!! :eek:

I think I would make an offer what you deem is acceptable and tell them to take it or leave it....

If you take off a necklace at nearly £400 and don't guard it with your life then it is your own damn fault....:smack:

as already said, she should not have left it, she could have put it in her purse/bag or left it at home! w recently had a phone call from a client saying her sister had left her ipod in the salon when she came to get her nails done. her sister is 10, when she was quizzed at home about the missing ipod ahe said she 100% left it at the salon.
searched high and low and there was no sign of it, 3 weeks later wen she returned we asked about it, turned out she hadnt left it at salon but somewhere at home. for nearly 3 weeks me and my business partner felt awful about it only to find out she hadn't left it!!!!

I am sick sick sick!!!! ladys husband came in with quote for new chain
£396 I nearly died, cannot believe it, i was with a client as well!!!!
I can't believe her husband turned up - how pathetetic, she can't even face you to talk about it in a civilised way, even though you have been more than reasonable to her. Sending someone else along to fight her battles . . I only hope he was polite to you.
Good idea of yours to phone for legal advice and find out where you stand.
She doesn't sound like a very nice person to me, when you have already shown yourself to be very concerned.
I wonder where he got that quote. Maybe he should obtain a couple more, by way of comparison.
I really hope you get some sound advice from your legal phoneline people and that you get this sorted as soon as.

Hi all,

I went and replaced chain for client, a big learning curve, have now disclaimer sign in reception... client happy, thanks for all suggestion annxx

omg what a nightmare! Nice of you to replace the chain but how do you know that the one she lost wasnt 50 pounds? I think they are pulling a fast one too..:irked: Its a shame that everyone seems to be after something for nothing these days.

With regard to her household insurance, it would only be covered if it is specified for loss outside of her home for all risks, other than that it's not covered.

Relacing her chain should be kinda like insurance, she should hae a valuation certificate showing it's true worth, 9ct, 18ct etc, if she forces you into a corner without a previous valuation certificate, obviouslu you should take the cheaper replacement option.
See if she has a receipt of original purchase or she may be taking you for a ride

Why the hell would you leave a 400 quid necklace lying around?! I presume most people would put it somewhere safe or even ask the salon owner if they had somewhere safe to put it, do they have a real recipt for it? If they haven't then I don't think they have a leg to stand on do they? And waltzing in to your salon infront of other clients giving it the odds is not good for your business either I would imagine:mad:

I hope you manage to sort it out soon, you must be getting so stressed about it:hug:

Latest posts

Back