Mixing bases in colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
I have gained a client who used to come into my college to have her hair done. She is 50% grey with base 8 and she has a white stripe down the front side of her hair (almost like a badger). During the consultation, we decided to mix base 8.0 with 9.5 Igora and did a full head colour but I never really understood why we mixed these 2 bases. :confused:

Can anyone explain why and how this works? Thanks. Hope this isn't another one of my stupid questions! :lol:

I don't know igora numbering system but normally you mix a base and another colour, normally a gold or red to warm the colour up a bit as bases can be a bit flat and khaki sometimes, especially on white hair.

Different products can vary, I was always taught to add 1/2 base, but Affinage Infiniti you don't need a base, they say go 1 shade darker if over 50% grey, if stubborn hair the tech team told me to add 1/4 natural ash, eg 3/4 7.4+ 1/4 7/01, it works really well.

I use igora I can only think that the darker base was used to grab the hair? I would have added a base the same shade as the tonal shade as adding darker base would probably take all the tone out of the other shade? Does this make sense?

Anyway igora have absolute shades which are made for greys as double pigmented :) x

I use igora I can only think that the darker base was used to grab the hair? I would have added a base the same shade as the tonal shade as adding darker base would probably take all the tone out of the other shade? Does this make sense?

Anyway igora have absolute shades which are made for greys as double pigmented :) x

Yes, that does make sense. That was probably the reason - the darker base was used to grab the hair. On the record card, we put "use all 8.0 + 8.5 next time to get a deeper depth of tone".

I have gained a client who used to come into my college to have her hair done. She is 50% grey with base 8 and she has a white stripe down the front side of her hair (almost like a badger). During the consultation, we decided to mix base 8.0 with 9.5 Igora and did a full head colour but I never really understood why we mixed these 2 bases. :confused:

Can anyone explain why and how this works? Thanks. Hope this isn't another one of my stupid questions! :lol:
The base 8 will cover the grey. basic colour training will tell you that base colours any lighter will just tone the hair. the 9.5 will add a warm tone so your last suggestion of an 8 base with the 8.5 should work well with a good coverage:biggrin:

If u really want a gold tone coming through add a teeny bit of -55 concentrate as like I said before adding base into a tonal shade will remove the tone a bit and make it more beige blonde than gold :) good luck x

The base 8 will cover the grey. basic colour training will tell you that base colours any lighter will just tone the hair.

Thanks Sharon.hair. Unfortunately, my basic training was less than basic and so I didn't know that :!:

So, if someone is grey, and wants to go lighter than a base 8, would you have to use bleach and then put in some lowlights to add colour?

Sometimes, I wonder whether I was asleep during my training :lol:

Latest posts

Back