Mma Aahhhhh

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hiya,

I had a new client today, I had to do a soak as I personally don't like filling other peoples work. Well it took me 2 and a half hours to get this L&P off her nails. I think it was mma.

OMG it was so thick and would not soak off in tin foils at all it stunk aswell. She had been to the nss in my town and the damage to her natural nails when they did come off, well She had ridges in the shape of her infill line on all fingers where they had attacked her rather roughly with the drill. This poor woman said she had been cut with the drill and her fingers were allways red raw when she left. She complained to them about this and all of the techs came over to her table and started talking in chinese (how rude) and said it was her fault her nails were red raw because her skin is thin. She was appalled at this, hence why she had phoned me.

So after 4 hrs this poor woman has now been re-educated, the funny thing was I pulled out my client consultation card and started to ask her a few questions and she said they never asked me any of this. They never gave her any aftercare leaflets, Mandy(my client) didn't even know she had to apply cuticle oil twice daily. She was amazed that I pulled out a brand new file and not a used one like they used and was surprised at how natural her nails look instead of thick and un natural.

She is thinking of informing trading standards about this salon, but what I want to know is, it took 2 and a half hrs to soak off, there wasnt much L&P on her nails as she had missed 2 maintenance appointments and shed cut them right back herself. If I report them is there anyway I can proove they use mma, Im so sure it is mma, or is it just a waste of time. Should I do this anonomously (sp)

Two good things have come out of this, I have re educated her and I have gained two further clients from her as she is so chuffed with her nails.

Dont you just get frustrated when you see what these nss salons use and do?

Hi Sarah, Fortunately I haven't come across MMA but I have seen the damage done by NSS, it's appalling.

I am not sure about the official complaints route that your client can take as MMA is not illegal in this country. However she may be able to complain to your Environmental Health Officer if she can prove the damage to her nails was done by them. If they get enough complaints then they will be forced to take action.

Be proud that you have educated one more person to correct procedures and standards, and I am sure that they in turn will help "spread the word" for you.

Hi Girls

Unfortunatley like you i have come across disasters like this. The surprise on their faces when you explain procedures to them,complete consultation cards and hand them aftercare leafelts proves that we NEED licensing.

Two clients of mine who came from the nss in my town complained to Trading Standards....perhaps if this continues maybe someone somewhere will take notice??

CLare

Hi all, i have to soak off mma nearly everyday as in our town with have to salons which use it. the standards are shamefull. We need to educate people in how nails should be applied. and prove it should be a pleasure not a PAIN!!!!

These clients need to complain.................
Why don't you give Tracy Leija a call at the Loughton CND Acadamy..02087877036........ she has a lot of information with regards to MMA and which councils and boroughs have actually prohibited the use of MMA..............
Tracy is a wealth of information and a great lady......What this lady don't know about MMA can be written on the back of a postage stamp........ I am sure that she can help you !!!!
She has been fighting the good fight for years !!!!!
HTH

I do agree that it should be a pleasure and not a pain, she looked horrified when I pulled out my nail file and said mmm thats gonna take ages to file down with that. I said its not actually as your nails are no where near the thickness as to what you had previously. I was right and she was glad that she had no cuts or sore fingers.

Thanks Ruth for that info I will be on that phone first thing tomorrow morning. Im also gonna ring my council and see what they have to say about the situation.

The thing is Mandy (my client) thought using a drill, mma, and getting cut and sore fingers was the norm, now re-educated shes spreading the word.

what does nss mean?

NSS Non standard Salon.......any Salon that does not conform to Health and Safety Regulation...........and in short that has no standards , or standards that are not acceptible in our industry

HTH

In standards, what type of standards are you talking about?

Salons that do conform with health and safety includes what as such?

I mean if you were to open a salon what would u need to make sure to do with H&S?

Nailsinlondon1, my friend had her nails done in Upton Park, I think?... She raved how cheap they were.. £15.00 I think... but she sed they didnt talk english. In this case I think if they cant talk the language how could they have possibly gone on the correct courses??

myle83 said:
In standards, what type of standards are you talking about?

Salons that do conform with health and safety includes what as such?

I mean if you were to open a salon what would u need to make sure to do with H&S?

Nailsinlondon1, my friend had her nails done in Upton Park, I think?... She raved how cheap they were.. £15.00 I think... but she sed they didnt talk english. In this case I think if they cant talk the language how could they have possibly gone on the correct courses??
Hi ya,
Check out this link and it will give you good information about standards that should be up help in a salon.........
Criteria Elements 1 and 2:
HTTP://www.designernails.com/nvq.aspx

If you where to open a Salon, a Health and Safety inspection would be needed before opening your doors to the public........
Also a fire inspection...........
You local council or the council responsible for the area you are opening your salon in would give you lots of information on this ..

As for the salon you have mentioned, A lot more would have to be taking into consideration before you can determin wether or not they are NSS.........

HTH

Thank You :) !!!

I'm learning more by the day!

Latest posts

Back