MMA - Again

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ameliasdragon

Reaction score
I've been asked to go to a Guide Unit and talk to then about Nails... what I particularly want to cover is the two salons in our area, one of which I'm sure is using MMA, a client had had her nails for six week, looked lovely (Still) but had not had any infils or maintenance! I couldn't get the 'bloddy things' off - took me ages. She told me which 'salon' she had used!:cry:

How can I tell the girls to avoid this salon and use other techs without frightening them? I have been to the Unit before to do manicure & hand massages, and I think two of the girls had already been to the 'salon', :suprised: and one told me her mum had done her nails using a UV Kit brought from Argos by Rio, does anyone know how good this kit is? Should I be telling this girl anything special?

IMO without proper proof you really can't say that much about the particular salon you feel is using MMA, you might end up with a defamation or libel case on your hands (if, for instance, they aren't using MMA products and you tell people that they are).

explaining the differences between NSS's and professionally trained nail techs would be a great start, trying to introduce the Guides to the 'proper' way of nail extensions etc, explain the differences and dangers of using NSS's and the damage that can be caused etc. they can then make their own minds up and you are in the clear regarding the defamation bit BUT you would have also done a good service by pointing out the dangers.
you can take a horse to water but can't make it drink... i think the same applies here.

I'm sure other people will add to this thread to offer advice to you.

Perhaps give your clients an information sheet which explains MMA.

This MMA business really gets me going........

People are just sooooooooooooooo short sighted. Some of the clients in my Wife's salon STILL go to these places for their enhancements EVEN THOUGH she has shown them the pictures / reports of what MMA can actually do to you.

I've just registered www.aboutmma.co.uk

I'm going to produce a website with all this stuff on it so that you can add this address to your mailouts. At least this way we'll have a hub of information and salons will have links to print out proper INFORMED material on the subject.

Focus on the positives not the negatives, in this way you will keep the world of nails in the good light it should be and not scare people off!! Tell them what they should look for ie good sanitation, a client consulation with record cards, they should not experience any discomfort or bleeding, no friction burns, given after care advice, be consulted on length and shape etc etc. Then advise that if this isn't the norm performed by the tech then should tread with caution. HTH

Thank you all for your advice.

Some of these girls are just 10 and 11, and are having extensions all the time - most of their nails appear to look better than mine, and have been on for weeks with no infill/maintenance!

What can we do?

Oooerr!!! 10 and 11, and having extensions.
I thought most salons operated a 16 and over policy for extensions?
Sassy is right, if you educate them on how a professional nail tech would perform the service and anything that vastly differs from this is to be treated with great caution.
I think that's the best you can do to protect the girls.
Good luck and happy educating!
K x

Sassy Hassy said:
Focus on the positives not the negatives, in this way you will keep the world of nails in the good light it should be and not scare people off!! Tell them what they should look for ie good sanitation, a client consulation with record cards, they should not experience any discomfort or bleeding, no friction burns, given after care advice, be consulted on length and shape etc etc. Then advise that if this isn't the norm performed by the tech then should tread with caution. HTH

Well said Sassy....

i completely agree with all Sassys points

I personally wouldn't name the Salons you suspect or even know are using MMA..it could get you in hot water and it's not professional....

Do a talk on the differences between EMA and mma nails and really reinforce hygene and the need for consultations in your service, a lot of ladies just think its a case of turn up and wack em on :irked: ....

best of luck i am sure you will enjoy the experience...

Thanks again for your help!

I told them that their tech would always do a consultation, and chatted about that, health issues, allergies, why they wanted them, age of consent, etc, if this wasn't done they should just apologies and leave as the tech obviously only wanted their money and didn't care about them.

We then talked about pros & cons of enhancements & how they need to look after them.

I'd spoken to another local salon about the girls and she said she would do mini-manicures and nail art for the age group (mainly 10-14)

We spent most of the evening talking about nail art and how far it could be taken, and things they could buy in Claires Accessories to make their nails look wonderful.

The girls had a really good time and they had loads of questions.

I'm going back the week before school holidays to do a nail art evening, simple bits - flicks & flowers - just a bit of fun!

Latest posts

Back