Mobile Waxing.... Men

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanya.

Reaction score
Hello fellow Geeks,

I am opening a mobile waxing business, also doing facials and lash tinting. I have been torn as to whether or not to offer these professional services to men. I know that men can be great clients, loyal and consistent. What is bothering me is the common misconception out there concerning waxing, i.e.. attracting perves. So my question is would I be making a mistake by not offering this to men at their homes? What are your opinions on this subject?

Thanks so much!

Tanya

You are right, it is a common misconception that men are pervs BUT I do think you need to be very careful offering this service on a mobile basis.

Do you have any ideas in mind, about how you will protect yourself from anything untoward happening?

I'd have a good think around issues relating to your personal safety. Some therapists in the past have been accompanied by their partners (who sometimes wait outside in the car); this might be useful for an initial visit when you don't know the client. Or you could ask that the client's partner is present in the house during the treatment (although not sure how that would work for single male clients).

I guess the plus side though is that you should have the upper hand during a waxing treatment anyway, as it is you who will have access to a hot wax pot, whereas your client will be in a rather more vulnerable position...
Posted via Mobile Device

not sure from a mobile point of view but we have had quite a few enquiries from men. so they are potential clients.

if you can get someone to come with you or wait outside.after a few appointments you will get to know if you feel safe enough going alone. but even when going alone i would still let someone know where your going etc.
and id always let that person think someone is waiting for you outside anyway.

even in the salon we have had a few pervy calls and they ask outright if we offer 'x,y,z' :eek:. (which we dont)
generally you wil pick it from their phone conversation 'that something isnt quite right anyway'
but from a business point or view i would offer it to men and women if you can.

I wouldn't offer mens waxing as a mobile therapist. It's not worth the worry. Rent a room in a salon and you'll do great. xx

I haven't a plan in place, except to let someone know where I am going at all times, and to carry pepper spray with me.

I am definately going to market to women only. If I find a room to rent, then I will market to men as well.

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough responses!

This is such a wonderful board, I am so glad to be a part of it!

I haven't a plan in place, except to let someone know where I am going at all times, and to carry pepper spray with me.

quote]

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh......but only in America

Pepper spray is legal to buy, mace isn't.... I know some massage therapists that keep it with them.... ya just never know :D

Pepper spray is legal to buy, mace isn't.... I know some massage therapists that keep it with them.... ya just never know :D

I'll tell you wants cheaper and you don't have to rummage through your bag for.......a swift kick in the b*lls.

Sorry Tanya, not making light of it, just seeing the funny side. xxx

No worries... it is funny :)

to be honest i have only just started out - put adds on gumtree, netmums etc explaining exactly who i am and listing all the treatments i do and within 24 hrs had had 2 dodgy phone calls both about waxing - one wanted to know if i did mens waxing in particular do back sack and crack (told him i only did chest and back) he sounded really weird on the phone - kept giggling - the other wanted all over waxing - again told him only back and chest and then he asked me if i did massage - i said no and he put the phone down!! - i am now trying to decide whether to put on all my advertising 'mens treatments only on refferal' or to just scrap the mens treatments alltogether. Going to a strangers house is stressful enough (not knowing where anything is etc) and there are too many safety issues!!

As you said in your initial posting....its a general misconception!
I think you would be missing out on a vital part of your business if you dont offer the service to men.

I have not - from any of the therapists we work with - every heard that there was a problem, but of course you have to be careful.

A lot of therapists that offer home treatments start with taking on men they know or that their friends know, that way you can feel safe that it is genuine enquiries of men who really want the treatment.
As the others said I would still leave my number and appointment schedule with a friend or partner so that they know where you are.

As you said in your initial posting....its a general misconception!
I think you would be missing out on a vital part of your business if you dont offer the service to men.

I have not - from any of the therapists we work with - every heard that there was a problem, but of course you have to be careful.

I am not aware of any mobile therapists offering waxing for men. I'm not saying there aren't any, but none that I know of. When this subject is discussed, there is always a common theme, that we shouldn't be doing it.

A lot of therapists that offer home treatments start with taking on men they know or that their friends know, that way you can feel safe that it is genuine enquiries of men who really want the treatment.
As the others said I would still leave my number and appointment schedule with a friend or partner so that they know where you are.

The problem is, if something bad happens to the therapist, it matters not that you have left your number & schedule with someone else, because that person cannot stop something bad happening when you are there, one to one with the client.

I have waxed many men now and the majority of them are lovely clients, they are generally educated males with careers, impeccable manners, etc etc. But being mobile, working on their territory rather than your own, would definitely increase your vulnerability.

to be honest i have only just started out - put adds on gumtree, netmums etc explaining exactly who i am and listing all the treatments i do and within 24 hrs had had 2 dodgy phone calls both about waxing - one wanted to know if i did mens waxing in particular do back sack and crack (told him i only did chest and back) he sounded really weird on the phone - kept giggling - the other wanted all over waxing - again told him only back and chest and then he asked me if i did massage - i said no and he put the phone down!! - i am now trying to decide whether to put on all my advertising 'mens treatments only on refferal' or to just scrap the mens treatments alltogether. Going to a strangers house is stressful enough (not knowing where anything is etc) and there are too many safety issues!!

I used to get similar calls from guys who were after a bit of titillation. I than put a line on the bottom of my ad 'Please note: I am a fully qualified beauty therapist, I do NOT offer any sexual service.' and to be honest since I did that (almost 12 months ago) I have not received any time wasting calls, all calls have led to an appointment.

I also only ever take pre bookings.. and never take let a client ring on the day and come straight in to my salon for a treatment.

I do agree with Zoe's comments above... by being Mobile I think your vulnerability does increase.

Last edited:
The problem is, if something bad happens to the therapist, it matters not that you have left your number & schedule with someone else, because that person cannot stop something bad happening when you are there, one to one with the client.

I have waxed many men now and the majority of them are lovely clients, they are generally educated males with careers, impeccable manners, etc etc. But being mobile, working on their territory rather than your own, would definitely increase your vulnerability.

I totally agree, which is why I have suggested to start with men you know, family, friends and their friends as that is the safest route.
But in addition I would still let someone know where you are.....its just another help to feel safe :hug:

I do prefer it when guys just ring and ask to book in. When they have lots of questions and want to chat about it, then I get suspicious that they do just want a chat (or titillation as you put it Jen!) However, they have got to be able to ask questions, some of the ones who ask a lot of questions do turn out to be genuine. But I have also found that the serious ones, who don't ask lots of questions, don't need to as they have already done their research on the net and they know what to expect :)

I totally agree, which is why I have suggested to start with men you know, family, friends and their friends as that is the safest route.
But in addition I would still let someone know where you are.....its just another help to feel safe :hug:

Family and friends :eek: I can just see my brothers, cousins, uncles etc queuing up to strip naked in front of me :lol:

I do have a good client base though, and they all came to me as strangers. And I can see the appeal of being anonymous. I have been waxed by Gelly and I am going to be waxed by Lynne (Calla) next week, but only because I trust them both. If I had to source a salon, I would definitely go incognito.

Ask yourself 'Why would they prefer me to go to their homes instead of them coming to the salon'?

I know what you mean, i do male intimate waxing and advertise on gumtree, i had some dodgy calls, i simply told them they were inapproprioate questions to ask and they were fine after that. I work on a mobile basis bar for the male waxing where i hire a room ad hock.

I do find however the men want the appointment that day which isn't possible for me!!!!

I know what you mean, i do male intimate waxing and advertise on gumtree, i had some dodgy calls

With respect, I'm afraid that is inevitable if you advertise with gumtree.

If I were looking for a therapist to do intimate waxing I'd look for a reputable source of information and want to reassure myself about his or her experience, training, etc. I wouldn't be looking at gumtree any more than the small ads in the Daily Sport!

Latest posts

Back