move over square...but how do you perfect the almond shape?!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

I read in scratch or prof beauty that almond/rounded is the new 'Square' as square is old hat....

Admiring all the creative tech's beautiful nails yesterday ( and AMY from nsi's beautiful nails complimented by crushed shell and flowers - yum!)

I am thinking what the best way to achieve this shape??

I mostly get asked for square/squoval only my mum - bless her - insists on stilleto !!

Top tips on angles to cut at and best ways to file would help me out immensly. (cutting straight with tip cutters then filing seems to take forever thought there may be an easier way....)

Many Many thanks as always!! Appologies in advance if this is yet another DUMB question from me...............................!
icon_wink.gif

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

your a star...will give it a go.

thanks again little angel

ambx

Would you not use the shape of the nail to decide what shape to do your enhancement? square and stilleto, will allways be around, i love the stilleto to look at , clients they are a different matter!

Hi

I think that minkus's point is that if this shape is going to be more popular then she needs to master it so she can please her clients.

The clients after all are our main priority and if thats what they want they we need to meed their demands. As nail techs we can only advise on what shape would most flatter the client, the decision is ultimately with the client.

absolutly fab! said:
Would you not use the shape of the nail to decide what shape to do your enhancement? square and stilleto, will allways be around, i love the stilleto to look at , clients they are a different matter!

Oval and stiletto are two quite different shapes and very many clients ask for oval and indeed suit the shape far better than absolutely square which seems to be the ony shape many technicians offer as it is the only shape they are taught.

Read the turorial 'Perfect Form, It's all a Matter of Degree' in the premium geeks tutorials. The tutorials, I have been told, have been an invaluable help in learning many techniques ... and the information is for free. They describe how to acheive every shape you could be asked for. Enjoy.

I must say that i was only ever taught square and that has been with quite a few different companies, i have taught myself to do different shapes to suit my clients needs and expectations, although most still want dead square:eek:

Amanda

I personally think square can look very false especially when done french.
JMO

lell said:
I personally think square can look very false especially when done french.
JMO
Hmmmmm i know what you mean esp sharp square, if you know what i mean!!!

Amanda

I have worn square shaped nails for almost 20 yrs now. I tried Stilleto for the new year and loved them. Just last week I found time to put a fresh set of nails on and did them oval for another change and am really liking them too. I do find though that the majority of my clients still want them dead square and squoval. I think I am going to pump the 'oval is the new square' thing and make it my mission this month to change a few clients minds...hehehe.

From traditionally doing my nails squoval I have found that a slightly more oval shape is more flattering on me. However I also find it very hard to find a rounded or oval shape onto a square tip without losing a lot of length.
Would cutting the tip before I file help me here, as I find it takes me a very long time to file any kind of shape in.
If so, should I use special scissors/tip tailors or just curved scissors?

bimbogeri said:
From traditionally doing my nails squoval I have found that a slightly more oval shape is more flattering on me. However I also find it very hard to find a rounded or oval shape onto a square tip without losing a lot of length.
Would cutting the tip before I file help me here, as I find it takes me a very long time to file any kind of shape in.
If so, should I use special scissors/tip tailors or just curved scissors?

GOOD question.

I'm sure many think I am old fashioned because I have never used a one-cut nail cutter. NEVER. Why??? Because with traditional nail clippers I can cut any shape into the nail I want before final shaping and it saves oodles of time.

Using one-cut clippers makes a square nail and yes it is very tedious to have to file a square shape into any other shape. So try traditional nail clippers and save yourself much boring tedious work.

geeg said:
GOOD question.

I'm sure many think I am old fashioned because I have never used a one-cut nail cutter. NEVER. Why??? Because with traditional nail clippers I can cut any shape into the nail I want before final shaping and it saves oodles of time.

Using one-cut clippers makes a square nail and yes it is very tedious to have to file a square shape into any other shape. So try traditional nail clippers and save yourself much boring tedious work.

hiya, while i was at excel yesterday i was watching Ketan Patel (he is soooo funny) he was using large clippers (like toenail clippers) and got the desired look in no time. I would like to give it a go, would they have been toenail clippers ?

xxx

Those are exactly the ones I'm talking about!!!

I taught Ketan with those and he has always used them ever since despite many scoffing at us for being old fashioned.

But you know my mantra ..... FILING IS BORING ..... eliminate it wherever you can.

I did a class with ketan a litle while ago and he really emphasied the oval and almond, stilletto shapes and used those toe nail clippers, i treated myself at excel to a pair and am happily playing on my nail trainer at the moment trying to perfect the shape not as easy as it looks or sounds, never mind practice makes perfect.
x

I always wear almond or stiletto... here is one I did earlier :eek:
Ok, ok, ... Ketan did it really, :wink2:

Attachments

• Picture 1016.jpg
    Picture 1016.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 111
ohhhh how lovely is that nail. was he making you laugh ? i watched him working on a girl and he was soooo funny. what did he use, was it the custom blend kit ?

xxx

angie

WOW, now that is really pretty !

Latest posts

Back