My Website's gone live!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on now girls no need to fall out.. Sundays are meant to be relaxing x
I've already pointed that out once lol

Things seem to be repeated alot and ignored on this site lol xx
Totally agree!!

What is wrong with us eh lol.

I like being lazy on a Sunday ... what do you do?

Day of rest for sure! Currently catching up with last nights x factor (yes please gary barlow!) oh and doing a bit of Internet shopping while im there ooops lol. What about everyone else xx

Watching crime channels at the moment.

Got to watch all my recordings of Judge Judy ... cos I love love love her!!!!!

Need to do a little bit in the garden.

Lets see what everyone else is up to.

Jacqui xx

We've gone way off topic but hopefully made this thread a bit less intense... Happy Sunday ppl x

The one thing that I would like to make clear is that I am one of the nicest and most experienced people on here! I have helped hundreds of techs on here over the years and have enjoyed all of it. Having said that I am sick to the back teeth of how this site is going recently.

You have asked for opinions on her website. Many, extremely busy and successful therapists, who have run their own businesses for years have given their own time, free of charge to give her the benefit of their experience. I have seen no nastiness until this advice was thrown back as being negative.

As a general rule of thumb, take a look on the poster's profile and see what experience they have. Some people giving advice on here are not even trained or are still training! I think you will find on this thread that you have got some fabulous girls with decades of experience between them giving sound advice that they do not have to do. I know these girls personally and I can assure you that there is not one single grain of malice in them and they are trying to help you. You said that you don't want to rely on family and friends advice as this is sometimes biased, although not always but you seem to want us all to say what they have said to you.

Take the advice in the manner it was given. If you want your website to be as personal as it is then just say so, it was not a criticism but a valid point meant in a way that would give you food for thought.

Us oldies have made lots of mistakes along the way, very expensive ones! I worked mobile for years as a single mum so I understand the mum/work balance very well. It is a hard balance to achieve, especially when your children are so young.

There is a big choice for all newbies to take at the moment as I feel this is a turning point for this site. If you ask advice then take it as it is meant and don't read anything into it or you will all lose the expertise that is here. I think I speak for a huge majority of the active, experienced members when I say that we have taken a serious bashing recently from inexperienced techs and therapists who ask for advice but criticise when it is not what they want to hear or say we have not taken the time to sugar coat the answer enough so as not to offend anyone. We have lost a lot of great people recently because of this and there is a lot of discussion between the rest of us at the moment as to whether we will continue to give advice at all. This would be a great shame a huge loss to girls like you who are entering a highly competitive profession during a time of deep recession with worse to come!

Think it through. We are really busy people. Why would we want to come on here and give bad advice or be 'bitchy' to anyone new. Just look at our rep points or read through previous threads to see what work we do, free of charge or reward apart from a 'thank you' every now and again. It is now a thankless task which we don't have to do at all!

I am not making this personal to the OP but to all newbies who ask for help now. You don't have to agree every time but at least respect what we are saying to you all. Take from the advice what you want and leave what you don't want. After all it is you who will suffer in the long run, with only inexperienced therapists giving advice it will be a long and expensive road to travel.

I apologise ahead of time for anyone I have offended with my post but I am fed up with pussy footing around on here. I have not meant to offend anyone and am not picking on anyone in particular. This is general advice which is meant to be of help to everyone. :wink2:

Last edited:
If your website is your first attempt I would be rather proud of myself if I was you hun, looks amazing :) give your self a pat in the back!! -x-

You go on about how to speak to people in posts and how to give YOU feed back .... Well when your clients nails lift or tan turns streaky will you tell them how to speak to you???
Your NOT in a nursery setting now!! LOL!

I actually find this really insulting and upsetting. I sincerely apologise for mentioning your daughter as this has clearly upset you and was not my intention, it must have been horrific for you to go through. However, I really don't feel there is any need for you to "laugh out loud" at me and speak to me like a child. I have already said that I know how to speak to clients and of course I wouldn't be telling them how to speak to me. I find your mocking very upsetting. I am a professional, I mistakenly thought that although this is ultimately a professional site, it was a friendly one too. Clients are a whole other topic. I am not asking about how to speak to or deal with a client and as said before, I DO NOT need to be told how to conduct myself professionally anyway.

Shedunlop, yes, you are one of the nicest members on here and have been very kind to me since I joined. You mention throughout your post about experienced therapists that have been in the business and on this site for years giving their advice and how newbies should take it as it's meant and not take it personally. But can I just ask you to remember back to when you were new to all this (and not just you, any of the members here) and just starting out, whether it be in a salon, at home, mobile and how daunting and nerve racking that feels? Or the first time you joined a forum and were new, I am one of the friendliest people you can meet. It is NEVER my intention to upset people, that is just not me, I absolutely HATE to upset people. Yes, I can be sensitive, it's one of my massive flaws, and so can many other people be, we're not all tough cookies and every single person reads or interprets things differently. So, as a newbie and this being pretty much the first thing I've asked for feedback on, I was just anticipating that feedback would be given less directly perhaps. But again, this is just me, I always make sure I deliver criticism as delicately as I can, not sugar coating it, just not saying it rudely, maybe why I had such fantastic staff working for me over the years, not something to mock, am very proud at the high standards my nurseries were run at and I intend on taking that same professionalism and high standard into my salon. I fail to see why just because you are professional you can't be friendly too.

I'm actually really upset by this now, so I won't be commenting any further. Thank you to all for all the advice you have given on this and other subjects.

I think the problem is, you spent 2 days doing a website and then asked for feedback. I think you were expecting everyone to say how well you had done and what a wonderful website it was. When you didn't get the replies you wanted, you got defensive.
Yes, to you the website is great and you were feeling very proud of yourself as you had spent time and effort doing it.
The reality is, the website is mediocre and people gave you their opinions to better it.
You took it the complete wrong way because you saw it as a personal assault.
I didn't see anything rude written but then I wouldn't because I wasn't personally involved in doing the website.
Take a step back, re-read the posts, accept the constructive criticism and don't take it so personally.

I haven't looked at your website yet. I've just through the thread, and planky, you are very defensive and perhaps next time don't ask for opinions if you don't wish to receive them.

I am now going to look at your website and report back.

Well you saved me some of my precious Sunday off looking and advising you on your website, as you have removed the link.

dearie me............

I may be a little forgetful these days but I do remember me starting up as a single mum with no money. More importantly I didn't have a site like this to help me or any contact with experienced people to help me. I would have given my right arm for such a resource at that time.

You are sensitive but the assumption that the rest of us are as hard as nails is not accurate. You have upset one of the loveliest girls on here who gives freely of her time despite a very busy business as well as a young family. We all have feelings, all of us and all of us remember what it was like to start up.

Take the comments as they were intended and improve your site. You have plenty of time as I see you are not opening until November so you have lots of time to play and get it right.

I think the lesson that everyone can learn here is not to ask for feedback if you don't want to hear anything that disagrees with what you have there. Or, alternatively, let people know that you are sensitive so to be extra specially gentle with you. That way you will only get the replies you want.

You will need to toughen up a bit and become like the rest of us if you are to succeed in your own business though. How are you going to cope when a client complains about a treatment or you get one of the many con artists visit you and then want a refund?

I think, probably, that this thread has come to the end of it's life as you have taken your link off and decided not to continue discussing this matter.

I obviously cant look at your website so cant comment on it but well done for making one i still havent had time!hope it brings you some new clients!!good luck xx

Sent from my X10i

Oh planky I'm actually genuinely sorry for you and the way this has turned out but I agree at the very patronising almost verging on nasty post x people could just go on and on writing the same old x I'm actually really frustrated at some peoples posts and I couldn't agree more with everything u have replied back with xxxx
AND I'M Sorry but what is the point in having an "about me" section if we get slated for what we write! One thing comes to mind, you have a personalty they don't !
Still a big well done to you and I hope there's no more nasty posts xxxxxx mwah

Are we still doing this???

I have read & re-read the 1st couple or so of posts that were made in reference to their opinions on said website. Now maybe I'm being a bit thick here but I can't for the life of me see anything that was written in a nasty manner.

Opinions were asked for & that's what were given. They may not have been to the liking of the OP but they certainly weren't mean or anything of that ilk.

Cannot see why this has all been blown out of proportion, to be honest!

Oh planky I'm actually genuinely sorry for you and the way this has turned out but I agree at the very patronising almost verging on nasty post x people could just go on and on writing the same old x I'm actually really frustrated at some peoples posts and I couldn't agree more with everything u have replied back with xxxx
AND I'M Sorry but what is the point in having an "about me" section if we get slated for what we write! One thing comes to mind, you have a personalty they don't !
Still a big well done to you and I hope there's no more nasty posts xxxxxx mwah

I'm reporting this post I think it's called TROLLING when someone posts to make trouble!

I've reported the full thread cos I'm fed up of seeing fights over stupid things on here.

Its absolutely ridiculous, we all have a lot better stuff to do than argue on Geek. Agree to disagree, thread should be closed. The OP has deleted the website so the thread is irrelevant anyway.

Well I have now closed this thread. I even feel like deleting the entire thread but then some valuable lessons and information will be lost.

A couple of points to bear in mind -

1. if you ask for feedback, you need to accept that it may not be to your taste.

2. If you feel tone in a post, then that feeling is yours and not put there by someone else.

3. Websites are your shop window on the internet. You may have the most beautiful looking shop window in the world, however if it is not optimised correctly then no one will see it. No point in having it then is there.

4. Google is like a person so if people are having a problem with your website, then maybe Google will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back