Nail Art basic supplies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SabrinaD

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I want to start doing freehand nailart and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the basic equipment that I will need and where you get you supplies from.

I have recently purchsed the Magnetic nail art book - would this be a good supplier to start with?

All views appreciated.

Sabrina

the beauty shows are usually the best places to get nail art stuff from cos it's usually a lot cheaper.

i buy far far too much nail art gubbins! but i've found that the internet is the best place to buy nail art stuff from.

there's a ebay shop called BeautyGround that sell lots of stuff really cheap, i bought 38 nail art striper pens (the ones with the nib and the skinny brush) for about £14 including p&p from Hong Kong! some of the brushes are a little bit thicker than i'm used to so i erm just kinda gave them a hair cut!! lol! and the best place i've found for really good quality rhinestones from another ebay member called crystalqueen26, i also got some nail art flowers (mixed colours and sizes) from www.devonpressedflowers.co.uk for £1.50 a bag!

hth

all i started out with is a striper brush, dotting tool and paints!

I did have Star Nails paints and brush, but the brush fell apart on me after a few months and the paints are not the best.

there is a great set on www.creativenailplace.com - a set with or without a video or dvd - loads of paints and brushes and stuff - it is on my Christmas list!!

or I have been told your local art/craft shop is good - acrylic paints and brushes in there are good - if you have a Hobbycraft near you go there!!

crystals are a good thing to stock up on as well - ebay or a lot of geeks here sell them too - do a search and you will find!

I got my 'starter kit' from Argos of all places!! It's got 10 or so different colours and they have a really thin brush as well as a 'pen' end to do dotting with. Also a video with really basic designs on it, cheap and cheerful.

Sorry I donr have the Magnetic nail art book so cant comment there.
Personally Id start out with the very basics.
Pop to your local Capital or beauty supplier and buy youself a skinny striper and dotting tool.
Anita's acrylic paints 99p from any art shop/Hobbycraft centre etc. are great paints to use with these items.
If after you've played around with these the interest is still there, then Id begin to add to the collection with striping tapes etc.
To be honest, I find ideas in everyday stuff rather than purpose made, I like to use fine lace, threads & beads etc. The possibilities are endless with a little imagination.

HOBBYCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops, should not have said that seeing as i own K-Sa-Ra!!!!!!!!!!

louisehartje said:

quote]

I have 2 stiper brushes that are different length, they are synthetic but I find they are too stiff to follow the curve of the nail well and I end up with the stripe thicker one end than the other. I also use the bottles with the striper brush and dotter in the lid but this is sometimes too thick a brush. Are there any real hair striper brushes that might follow the curve better, and if so where from?:confused:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your help - I have a hobby craft just down the road so will pop down there when I am childless free so I can have a good look!.

Just another quick question when using striping brushes with Acrylic based liquid and varnishes do you just use polish remover to clean your brushes?

X

I got mine from jackie at Cesars Secrets she was great and it came in a fab pink box that locks :)

Ju Ju said:
I got mine from jackie at Cesars Secrets she was great and it came in a fab pink box that locks :)

Do you have any contact details for them?

Marilyn, if you have a local Capital or Sally's near you they both sell the Spangles skinny stripers art brushes. They are very fine & flexible (not synthetic I dont think). I have a few nylon brushes and cant get on with them at all.

SabrinaD said:
Hi Folks,

Just another quick question when using striping brushes with Acrylic based liquid and varnishes do you just use polish remover to clean your brushes?

X
Personally I dont use my art brushes with polish...mine only ever get dipped in acrylic paint, then cleaned in water.
Polish remover will ruin a good brush.
Hth.

Glorsclaws said:
Marilyn, if you have a local Capital or Sally's near you they both sell the Spangles skinny stripers art brushes. They are very fine & flexible (not synthetic I dont think). I have a few nylon brushes and cant get on with them at all.

Not sure if I have either of them near Oxford area but can order one from Beauty Express as they sell Spangles items, thanks for that.:biggrin:

I went shopping yest and thought i d spoil myself in my local craft store.... I bought some xmas bullion which is great but very fiddly for a £1 but you get loads, some acrylic paint 12 colours all realli bright £2.29 and some really fine brushes 6 for £5 also it contains a angular brush which is great for doing colour fading. I have done my nails black to white with pink flowers i'll post a picture if i get chance.

Marilyn said:
louisehartje said:

quote]

I have 2 stiper brushes that are different length, they are synthetic but I find they are too stiff to follow the curve of the nail well and I end up with the stripe thicker one end than the other. I also use the bottles with the striper brush and dotter in the lid but this is sometimes too thick a brush. Are there any real hair striper brushes that might follow the curve better, and if so where from?:confused:

marilyn, i use sable brushes. mine are from an art store, look for a type called a 'rigger' they have long fine bristles. i found the length i wanted but thinned it out by trimming a few hairs off at the base.

angel fingers said:
marilyn, i use sable brushes. mine are from an art store, look for a type called a 'rigger' they have long fine bristles. i found the length i wanted but thinned it out by trimming a few hairs off at the base.

Thats funny I had just thought of going into the art shop in town to see what they have, so now I know what to look for...thanks for that.:D

What do you use to clean your brushes with, as sable brushes dry out when you use brush cleaner?

just water and soap i use thats what it recommends on the back of my paints.

Thanks for everyones help.:D

yep, i only use acrylic paints so i wash them in water. ocassionaly a mild shampoo and conditioner is good for natural hair brushes as it restores the natural oils in them.

angel fingers said:
Marilyn said:

I have managed to order a 'riger' from the art shop in town. They do different thicknesses so I have ordered the thinnest one which is a size 1, it is made of sable, so hope this will be better than the synthetic ones I have already. Will keep ypu posted as to how I get one with it, thanks for the help.:green: :green:

Latest posts

Back