Names and pics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeps

Reaction score
Hey Geeks

Can you call your business anything you like? I know that sounds a stupid question but what's to stop someone 2 doors down from you opening up a business of the same name?

Also, I was browsing the net looking for images that i liked that i would maybe use on gift vouchers, flyers, etc. Can i use whatever I want or how do i go about doing this properly?

I dont know if these questions make sense but it's late and my head a bit fuzzy so hopefully you'll know what I mean!:green:

Thanks guys xx

maybe it didnt make sense then.....:lol:

Being original is always a great starting point......

i have used istock photos in the past for personal use, although i know a lot of peeps use them for business use

I dont think you can use a business name that someone else is using in the same line of business if they have it registered with Company's house ie. a limited company. Probably not a good idea anyway, wouldn't start you off on the right foot with your competitors ! As for pictures you have to be carefull, if a picture is copyrighted you cant use it, it will land you in trouble. Create your own! Be original and show off your own work ! x

yeah i thought that and I have checked with companies house but not every business has to be registered with them, only limited companies. I have my name but i just wondered how i can check no-one else is using it. I never actually thought of designing my own pic! i love the idea though of setting up the way I would like it and then taking a few pics and seeing what I come up with. Think maybe sometimes I think about things the wrong way and miss the obvious! lol

thanks guys xx

I would start with looking through the yellow pages to see if anyone is using the same business name, then google it too. If its not registered with company's house and there is no one else using it in your area - go for it x good luck x

Just because a company is registered with a name at companies house doesnt give them first call on it- it just gives them evidence that they have been using it from such and such a date.

I have a factsheet on Domain Name Abuse which covers similar grounds and that will soon be available on the salon-smart.net site or Good Salon Guide. Alternatively I am happy to ping it to you if you drop me a PM?

In short, though, I would follow joint advice from nailzoo and angelinna....

If you register with companies house then no-one else is allowed to use your name.... I think! As long as its not already registered that is! If you have a name in mind then you can go onto companies house website and do a check to see if its being used.

Latest posts

Back