Natural Nail Overlay help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hi there was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have been doing a natural nail overlay with NSI gel on my client she has attended about 4 times and every time she attends she is missing the free edge i do use white gel for the free edge and make sure i cap all nails but without fail every 2 weeks there are at 5-7 chipped at the free edge. She doesnt have very long nails and there doesnt appear to be any lifting near the cuticles and so i cant understand where i am going wrong please help? x

Not sure if I can help, but I can share my experiences. Personally I do not get on with overlays full stop, I am and always will be a picker and I have a good old pick and fiddle with the gel. This is worse with overlays because the natural nail is more flexible than a tip and I can quite happily pick and chip at the gel to my heart's content ( i know, I'm such a bad girl). Not saying that this is what your client is doing, but is she is a biter or picker then she may be helping it along its way!!

If the rest of the product is not lifting or chipping then I would say your prep is fine. I find that with overlays when they knock their hands and nails in everyday life movements the natural nail doesn't support the gel as well as a tip and so some clients who are a little more heavy handed just don't get on with overlays. Sometimes I will start them with tip and overlay and then as the tip grows out they switch to the overlays and for some reason everything seems okay. Don't know if it's me or them, but it just seems to work!!

I use the LCN range of gels which are great because they have a wide range for every occasion. For someone in this situation I would use either Fibrique which has small fibreglass fibres in it which just gives a bit more strength and support. Or bondique which is a very flexible gel which tends to "give" more with the natural nail, rather than lifting and chipping against the natural movement.

I note you use a white gel. Is this like a builder gel ( ie has strength) or just a paint on gel ( ie just to give the white colour and has no strength)? If the latter than that may be your prob as it has no strength and therefore is not supporting the natural nail at all.

Okay enough of my usual waffly stuff. I hope that I may have been of help, but like I say some people(like me) just don't get on with overlays, and your lady may be one of them.

are you building the overlay thicker at the stress area, the way you would on a tip application ? in the nsi video they appear to make it as easy as a polish application, but i think this is a bit misleading as doing it this way gives no strength to the nail and the result is very temporary because as soon as any pressure is applied the natural nail flexes and chips in the overlay occur just as they do in polish.

Hi,
my natural nails start curling real bad and pull away at the corners of the free edge, when they get to a certain length. Picking can often follow :o as everything starts to 'catch'. I either end up filing the 'catching' bits off, or they end up coming off anyway, depending on whatever activities Im doing.

Hi ya, the white gel is just a colour gel i wouldnt say it has any strength in it, to be honest i cant see her picking at them she is a very elderly lady that trys very hard to keep them nice. So has anyone experienced this frequently with natural nail overlay or dont you offer this service? thanks for your responses so far x

Latest posts

Back