natural nail overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
Hi, need a little input on natural nail overlays. When i have do an overlay i have always created a 'C' curve as i think that otherwise the nail looks too flat.

Am i making to much work for myself, should i just apply a thin 1st coat of gel and then finishing gloss or what...

Any suggestions on what everyone else does whould be appreciated also what is the average charge for this..

I think it may come down to personal choice, I always build a bit of a c-curve cos like you I think it enhances the shape of the natural nail especially flat ones. But I don't build as high as for tip and overlay because you don't have to worry about the stress zone so much as there isn't a join.

Thanks Sassy,

Just out of interest how long does it take you to do a natural nail overlay?

I rarely do them, I think about 30- 45 mins depending on the amount of prep!

30 mins sounds about right...i am doing a pamper party on Friday and one of the ladies wants a gel overlay. So if i can do this in 30 mins that would be great. Like you say Sassy i haven,t seen her nails yet!

Thanks for that Cec that's what i thought too....just wanted to know what every one else did....incase i was the only one...lol

Cec said:
Hi.
I always create a c-curve while doing nat. overlays. Both because it looks better and the nails will be stronger. In my opinion there will always be a stress-point and if you're not "building it up" the natural overaly can crack in the stress-point. Just my opinion.

Cec.

Would this help with peeling at the free edge??

I still have trouble with this (even after countless help from fellow geeks). We were never taught at college to apply an apex when doing a natural nail overlay so i've never done it - just bonder, 1 coat of clear gel, cure then another coat of clear gel.

i use IBD products and still get peeling at the free edge within a couple of days, so much so that i've given up using gel for the moment.

Would love to get it out and try again, if only i could get it to stick!!!

Em
This came up a while ago with IBD (sorry I cant remember who's thread it was). It was defnately down to too much bonder and/or the nat nail underneath being too thinned.

I use IBD myself.
HTH

I've stopped using the bonder, so that won't be the case. I guess it's just down to the natural nail being too thin?

Shame really, as i thought the natural nail overlay would help strengthen my nails a bit till they grew stronger, guess not eh!!

thanks anyway.xx

I use biosculpture gel. They are available in clear and colour. I always try to build a bit of a 'c' curve when using the clear gel or any translucent gels as overlays. I dont do much of a 'c' curve when using colour gel, but that's my personal choice...

I had lots of problems with IBD gel overlays peeling also, so I use IBD for enhancements only.

ADiva1 said:
I use biosculpture gel. They are available in clear and colour. I always try to build a bit of a 'c' curve when using the clear gel or any translucent gels as overlays. I dont do much of a 'c' curve when using colour gel, but that's my personal choice...

I had lots of problems with IBD gel overlays peeling also, so I use IBD for enhancements only.

Oh thank god for that i'm not the only one to get problems with it.

I've driven myself and countless others batty about it. I don't know what i do wrong, it always peels off the natural nail.
Maybe it's just a case of a 'poor workman always blames his tools' eh!!:sad:

Maybe it's time to try another brand, just begrudge buying everthing again, when i've podded out loads already on IBD -anyone want to buy any IBD products and lamp???

Have you tried applying forms and extending the gel very slightly over the free-edge ..... always works for me as I used to have free-edge separation before using this method. I know it seems fiddly perhaps, but well worth it.

xx

Emmajt said:
Oh thank god for that i'm not the only one to get problems with it.

I've driven myself and countless others batty about it. I don't know what i do wrong, it always peels off the natural nail.
Maybe it's just a case of a 'poor workman always blames his tools' eh!!:sad:

Maybe it's time to try another brand, just begrudge buying everthing again, when i've podded out loads already on IBD -anyone want to buy any IBD products and lamp???

I use IBD gels and found that you really have to work the bonder for it to do its job.

After you apply the bonder to 1 hand, use a cotton tipped orangewood stick to "scrub" the bonder into the nail. The nail should not be wet with bonder! It has to be a dull satiny surface. Now you can put that hand in the lamp and work on the other hand while it's curing.

The first layer of gel should be only as thin as you would apply a top coat. If you find you're applying the clear gel too thin, use the builder gel instead. And don't forget to cap the edges. If you don't cap, it'll lift for sure.

Ohio Nail Tech said:
I use IBD gels and found that you really have to work the bonder for it to do its job.

After you apply the bonder to 1 hand, use a cotton tipped orangewood stick to "scrub" the bonder into the nail. The nail should not be wet with bonder! It has to be a dull satiny surface. Now you can put that hand in the lamp and work on the other hand while it's curing.

The first layer of gel should be only as thin as you would apply a top coat. If you find you're applying the clear gel too thin, use the builder gel instead. And don't forget to cap the edges. If you don't cap, it'll lift for sure.

I'm pretty sure i'm not applying too much bonder, in fact i've tried not applying it at all as advised by Graftons, but it still lifts.

Not had chance to try using forms to extend the free edge this weekend, but will try and give it a try this week, i'll also try your method of applying bonder and see if that makes any difference.

It's so annoying, never have any problems with enhancements, just the natural nail overlay.:irked:

Latest posts

Back