Need help on which system to use

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarajay

Reaction score
Hi,
I hope you can help me. I am qualified beauty therapist and want to cross train to do nail extensions so that I can work from home and offer a ful range of therapies. I need some help on what to do ! I see that there are three systems being gel, acrylic and fibreglass and acrylic seems to be the most popular. I also see that most favour Creative.

Having just had a baby and nursing him I am not going to be able to do fulldays training for quite a while and really want to get started. I am wondering if there is a decent system I could buy and teach myself at home to get started and then look to convert over to creative when I am no longer nursing. I know it seems a roundabout way of doing things but I am concious that I could be nursing for up to a year and don't want to wait that long to get started.

COuld anyone offer opinions on the best system to use and advice whether there is a good brand I could teach myself at home ?

Thanks a lot,
Sara

Just a thought, once your baby is a bit older and weaned couldn't you express milk to allow yourself some training? That's what I did with my three when I went back to work.

Hi,
Yes you are right I could express and have done that before (I have 3) but have found it hard to get 'enough' in advance of the event and then overflow on the day ! Husband also does funny hours and don't want to rely on Mum for childcare to cover 4 full days. Really want to try something at home to see how I get on etc and then convert over to soemthing 'decent' when I can.

I can understand your point of view, juggling kids and family can be really hard.

However I would like to point out that if you do learn an 'at home system' you will quite possibly learn techniques and habits that may become hard to 'unlearn' slowing you down a lot in the future!! Just my opinion though...

You are absolutely right, it is something I am aware of. I am hoping that the beauty qualification will help there as there is already some nail knowledge. Also hoping someone can advise on a good system.
Thanks for your opinions and time - appreciated.

sarajay said:
Hi,
Yes you are right I could express and have done that before (I have 3) but have found it hard to get 'enough' in advance of the event and then overflow on the day ! .
LOL I remember those days, brings a totally new concept top Miss Wet T Shirt Competition at 3 in the afternoon. How embarassing is that when all you've done is pop out to get the coffees lol.

Essential Nails do a home learn course, type it in the search on here and see what it comes up with. I'm sure it's been discussed before.

You could also try your local college who may have an evening course you could do and if you already have your manicure qualification, you might be exempted from that part of the course.

HTH

Yep it is a definate downside to nursing ! I will try essential nails - the local techs don't do extensions as they 'are bad for the natural nails' !
Thanks - S

Latest posts

Back