Need Help with Health & Safety on Spray Tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grelot

Reaction score
Hiya, newbie on the block! I work in a nail salon that has just expanded into beauty. I need help as my friendly :irked: competition have complained to Environmental Health about our airbrush spray tan. I've hunted high & low on the web looking for rules and regs about this, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers!
TJ

Why not phone round the supply companies, or contact your own suppier. You can also ring your local council and ask them what they expect of you. Extraction is very important but there are other things that your suppier should be able to tell you.

Thanks! I'm worried as we don't have any outside windows/walls, we are inside a small "mall" type building. I'm in the process of getting an extraction unit but it only recycles the filtered air, not extracts it outside.

Why does everyone fear the powers that be? Get in touch with your environmental health office and ask them as local authorities rules vary so much.

I am going to be doing permanent make up - START MY TRAINING TOMOZ, CRIKES!! - and you have to be registered and licenced with your local council. Well I phoned them up BEFORE I got all my equipment and did the decorating etc, and I tell you they couldn't have been MORE helpful. Gave me added advice as well that I hadn't thought of ie some peeps wight be a bit queezy after such a treatment so how would we get them down the stairs if we needed to.

Don't be frightened of them, they are not there to shut you down, just monitor that you are keeping within the law and H&S laws. They will let you know if you need to do anything and give you a time limit to sort it out.
The hair salon that I worked in got a "visit" cos the lady that rents the flat above the shop complained about the smell of perms etc and called in E Health, there were no probs at all, so don't fret, prob just someone scared of healthy competition, you must be good though for them to be worried about it so see it as a positive thing!

Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't really thought of it being a positive thing - guess we've got the competition worried! Will be on to E-Health first thing tomorrow. Good Luck on your course!

Cheers,
tj

We do spray tan with no windows,etc.
normally all you need is an extraction unit and face masks for yourselves. (also disposable face masks for your clients..)
My environmental health officers were fabulous, very helpful, and as long as you are obviously doing your bit to ensure safe practices, they will help you all they can.

:?: Cool - can you tell me where you got your extraction unit from? I've found one by the spray tan cubicle co, but it's nearly 400 quid! After doing research I've found a HEPA Air Purifier for approx 100 quid, but am really confused :confused: as to which I should use. Would this be something I could ask Environmental Health?

thanks!
tj

Hiya,

Unfortunitley there are no rules and regs regarding spray tanning at the moment which i fiind absolutley disgusting:mad:

Not only is extraction must, but so is the type of compressor and gun. You need a gun which is specifically designed for spray tanning and the psi (pounds per square inch) should be no higher than 7psi.

Extraction serves a number of purposes, it extracts the overpsray you get from the spray gun, so you are not breathing it in, it doesnt re-decorate your salon, but most of all it helps to stop the client breathing it in, esp if the client is asthmatic (although i wouldnt spray anybody who has asthma bad)

Give your council a ring, but as far as i am aware there are no rules.

Happy tanning

Amanda

on the back of this, I've just done a 'google' search for "environmental health lincoln" (where i live), and come up with the website relating to all H&S issues.

Their advice is to phone or email them for free info and literature re: H&S in workplace. I've just done this - will update you if it turns out any interesting info.
My guess is each council will have their own requirements anyway?

Just thought I'd pass it on...
x

Hi all, thanks so much for your input! I have been in touch with my local council and all is well. After speaking to the Duty Officer of Environmental Health (who, incidentally have NOT been around to see anyone about us, so yah-boo-sucks to the competition!), it appears I am fine!

I should had carried out a "risk assessment", ensuring any issues that could cause problems have been identified and solutions proposed. IE, I have a mask & gloves on to avoid inhalation, an extraction unit to disperse overspray and the Material Data Safety Sheet from the supplier. All of which I have, or in the case of the extraction unit, am in the process of getting.

Thanks in particular to SASSY HASSY who gave me the courage not to fear the authorities and rightly so. Very happy geeklin here!

thanks again,
tj

Glad I could help, they really have got a bad reputation that they don't deserve. From my experience they are there to help, not shut you down! Glad it all turned out well for you, and now if the comp try it on you are one step ahead of them! Best of luck

Hi

A little trick my girls use (for themselves) is to put vasaline up their noses so they dont have to wear the masks. Stops you getting a tanned inside of nose! and no marks on your face from the mask.

You are so right in asking the Health & Safety Executive for advice - that's what they are there for.

Risk assessments should be for both you, the operative and your clients. For you there is more risk of breathing in airborn particulates as you are working with the solution each day, especially through the busier seasons.

Protect yourself first, always complete a Client Profile Sheet which your client should sign, which clearly addresses any alergies or Contra Indications. It will also tell you if a client has previously used a sunless tanning product before and had any reaction to it and provide a legal record of a treatment which could help you in any litigation claim.

Your room should ideally have filtration or extraction, if you get an extraction fan put into the outside wall & get it installed lower down the wall rather than in the ceiling as the solution tends to drop more than rise.
At the least you should have an air filtration system. Tantrick have Portable units costing £295+VAT which filter 500 litres per minute which are designed for spray tanning.

Your mask should be one which filters out organic vapours and not just a "dust mask" - if your client wants a mask, a disposable one will be fine as she will have minimal exposure.

Dizziness and fainting may be an issue if your client has been standing with her legs locked in one position for the duration of her tan - make sure she is comfortable and bends her knees from time to time.

Whilst spraying the leg area don't forget to bend your knees and so reduce the strain on your back.

Always ask for a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)for the products which you use. Make sure the equipment you are using are specifically designed for the purpose you are using it ie Spraying Bodies not garden fences!!

All these subjects are covered on our training courses and will be available shortly with the official release of a manual relating to Spray Tanning, It's techniques, hints and tips and legal implications.
The Manual is currently with the publishers.

Latest posts

Back