Need to start advertising now!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annabeebalc

Reaction score
Hi. I'm opening my first hair salon in 3 weeks and as yet have not done any advertising...

I'm thinking I should start a facebook group?? Do any of you have experience of this?

Also, a friend is writing a press release for me to send out to the local papers.

And I'm going to do a leaflet drop around the area.

What did you guys do? Can you give me any advice?

Also...

I need suggestions for my opening day! I have no idea how to open and what to offer??

I thought about getting in 10 bunches of flowers to give to the first 10 paying customers. but not advertise this fact, just give it as a surprise and leave them feeling fantastic. Hopefully they'll share their experience with their friends!!!

Any ideas for me???

Many thanks

You could give 10% vouchers for their next visit and that way they'll hopefully come back and spread the word? We also got a huge banner put up to say that you have just opened? Have you got a local newsletter in your area?

yes we have a free local newspaper!
To be honest i'm a bit worried... I've had very little local support for my new venture. The salon i'm opening has been a hairdressers for over 20 years. The previous tenants have moved down the road to a larger salon. Like many villages there are very few shops which survive, only hairdressers seem to stay!!!! Everytime someone walks past and sees us working on the shop they stop to ask what it's going to be... then they say... Oh no, not another bloody hairdressers. Admittedly there are only 8 or so shops in the high street and now 3 of them will be hairdressers. but as we all know... people don't support local shops unless they're a service to them.

Maybe i'm just having last minute nerves!!!!

ur opening a hair salon when there's one a few doors down?

yer youve just got to make yourself stand out get as much publicity as possible n people love freebies.. getmaybe have an opening night get it in the newspaper supply wine n nibbles n everyone voucher im soon you will be fine

ur opening a hair salon when there's one a few doors down?

There is nearly 10,000 people living in our small town. My market research tells me that 72% of these people currently don't have their hair cut in the town. I'm hoping to tap into some of that market!

This is what you need to do:

In all your marketing for your opening, give this offer:

"EXCLUSIVE OPENING OFFER:Have any treatment completely free and 50% off any hair products"

That's assuming your going to sell products as well of course, if you aren't yet going to, you definitely should, you'll make just as much money from them as you will cutting hair!

Make sure you treat your customers like royalty and get them to book at least one more appointment before they leave.

Just don't hard-sell them too much.

If you make your customers love you they will keep coming back, no matter how many other hairdressers there are in the same street.

People buy the experience, not the product!

Hope that helps and good luck!

Daisy

Hiya :)

I'm not entirely sure giving away a free haircut would be good for your long term business. I would suggest you give something complimentary as well as the haircut that they are paying for. Something like

"Invest in the best cut you'll ever have and receive a complimentary hot oil treatment worth £x".

That way, although you are giving them something for nothing, they feel you have invested in them, you have made some money from them, given them massive added value and you can then retail them a home care hot oil kit (for example)

You do need to stand out from the crowd. What is your USP? Why would people come to you and not still go out of town? Why are the 72% of people in your town going out of town for their hair services? Find that out and tailor your marketing to this.

My single piece of advice would be though. Don't discount (or give away a whole service for free) no matter how much you want to, add perceived value that doesn't cost you much in time or product and make sure to tell the clients how much the service you are giving is worth.

Good luck with everything, I hope it works out for you :hug:

Thanks for your positive responses.

The town we live in is very arty/bohemian/middle class. The reason most people are going else where to have their hair cut is because of the sorts of salons there are here. There are 2 other salons in the high street, one is tiny with only 2 stylists. They are always fully booked! They have a loyal client base and the owner works very hard. She has been very supportive of my new venture! The other salon is very drab, soulless, minimalistic, and personality less!! The girls have nothing interesting to say for themselves and they're not particularly innovative in their styling. ( I know this because they rented a shop from me for 7 years!)

People want a funky, trendy, contemporary salon which is using and selling top of the market products (I'm using Paul Mitchell) No one else is using branded products.

I'm going to stand out from the crowd with my 50's styled funky new salon! I'm going to be offering up to the minute styling. Keeping abreast of new styles with my educational program that i've signed up to.

We're also offering a dedicated childrens cutting service. With a childs styling station and chair. (There ins't anywhere here that caters for children and whilst I know they're not big money makers, the experience will pull the mothers in)

God I feel better just writing that!!!

I work in a hairdressers and since you are catering for children i would definitely have a toy box. We keep a small one with a few different toys, nothing too major or noisy, just some cars and pens and things.

children enjoy it and parents love it because it keeps the kids quiet while the parents or their siblings are getting their hair cut.

Have a phone number where your clients can book in the week until your opening so you're not quiet during your first day

Hey,

Daisy has hit the nail on the head with the fastest way to get clients.

Just give 'em something free!

And make sure you know what you're goon do to get 'em back in!

Brend x

sorry, have to say - never give free treatments! You want to attract loyal customers not those who just want a freebie and whom you are never likely to see again! Offer incentives or add ons rather than freebies or discount - IMO! and be the best - which by the sounds of you - you will have no problems. X

I have to agree reducing your prices and giving free haircuts will not attract the loyal customers that you will want to gain. Also making your products really cheap like 50% off may deter some people if they think it is cheap they might not think it is reputable and may tarnish your brand as being cheap and customers may not return when prices go back to normal. charging full price for the product the customers are booking for and then giving them an extra as an opening offer, for example an extra treatment such as a hair repair treatment mask or a complimentary product, you can them ask them next time their in if they enjoyed it and would like to purchase another one! Making the service as good as possible is your best way to encourage repeat visits, for example with hair maybe tell customers they can get their fringe trimmed free whenever it needs doing, if customers enjoy their experience they will tell their friends this will give you free word of mouth advertising! It is also important to get all customer details from eveyone who comes in the door their email addresses, mobile numbers etc so that you can target specific people with upcoming offers you may have in the salon and maybe thank them for their first visit!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back