New Business Venture....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEL7

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need your help, I have been training since the beginning of the year and have accuired various industry recognised certificates, courses completed are nail extensions, acylic workshop and nail art (can I call myself a qualified nail tech?).

Recently I was approached by a local haidresser who had a room spare that he wanted to rent out, to be honest it all happend so quickly. I have just finished the expensive task of kitting the room out. And plan to officially be up and running the second week of Dec.

Like I said it is all happening so quickly and I am feeling very nervous, as some of my practise models still get lifting within a few days of application. I really want to give this a go, and enjoy doing nails. I have been given lots of advice from my training college as to what I am doing wrong but I feel that I have tried everything to get it right. Did anyone else feel the same as I do when they first started?

Also I have decided to price my full sets at £40, but have had a lot of feed back from friends and family to say that this is a bit much, (because they know how much the high street shops charge). I just explain to them that this is the going rate, can anyone give me anymore advice as to what I can say when people question me on my price?

The hairdresser that I am renting from has arranged for a ladies night, in December, I feel that this would be a great opportunity to gain some new clients. I have decided to do some demos, for example nail art designs, pink & white application, and I also love working with the new glittered acylics (perfect for christmas). What do you think?

Sorry theres just one last thing, I have chosen to just practice in acylics and no other system, do you think that this is suffient to run a successful business on?

So sorry for the long email, I would appreciate any comments/critisism.

Thank You

:Scared:MEL7

i think you should phone round other places and get a feel for prices in your area. If they are much cheaper then you may have to lower, but if your talking a couple of quid difference then i wouldn't bother. as for the lifting, there are a few tutorials on here and buy the nailclass book which really helped me get the back of zone 3 down and tucking those edges in, so they have nothing to pick at (not perfect yet but i'm a lot better!).

Maybe you should train in gel? some of my clients only want gel and some want acrylic. i'd lose half my client base if i only did acrylic.

finally,... all the best hun.. i bet your well excited :)

If you are still at the stage that you are getting lifting within a few days of application on the majority of your clients then I don;t think you can realistically charge £40 a set. If you have salons in your area that charge a banded price system then go for the junior / rookie rate. In fact it may be even better to charge model rates for a while until your skill base improves. People tend to complain more when you work in a salon and this could seriously knock your confidence.

next you need to review all aspects of your work to stop the lifting. Have a look at the fab tutorials on here. I would seriosuly recommend getting a copy of Nailclass by Gigi Rouse (geeg on the site). You can purchase it in Geekmart and the profits go towards the cost of running this fab site. Digest all that is in there, particularly prep.

Lifting is normally down to poor prep (not removing the non living tissue is the mian one) and applying your product too close to the side walls and eponychium. BUt there are other reasons too.

Good luck hun in the salon, please use the site as much as possible to help you through your early days.

Hi Mel, Good luck! Sounds great. If you lower your price, try putting the full price with a sale price too, ie. £40 a set with £5 off for Xmas etc.,. this way you charge the rookie price and when you feel confident advise 'sale ends end of this month' or something on those lines, make your own up. This way your full price can match the area average price and the sale price makes you cheaper and relates to your experience. This may help if you have anyone complain. (heaven forbid). I always have a date on my price list ' prices held until 31st December 2005' This makes it easier to up the price later as your clients were aware of it for the last few months. Anyway I hope your first day opening goes really well and the future too. Best of luck.
Debbie.
icon14.gif

Latest posts

Back