New salon - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayles_u

Reaction score
Honestly, do you think this will work??

I am opening a new salon soon offering all the usual beauty services plus holistic therapies. I am not actually trained in anything beauty but will be taking on the services of a beauty therapist. The idea is to actually employ her rather than having somebody self employed in with me. I'm full qualified in holistics myself, but do you think it's crazy to be offering services that the owner herself is not trained in? I will be enrolling on a basic manicure and pedicure class with CND myself, just so I can do nails in reception while the other girl is working on a treatment. Not that I don't love nails though, really excited about it!
Was just wondering if anyone has any particularly strong opinions on this. Also any advice if anyone has done anything similar. I'm also worried about times when my beauty therapist will take holidays or is off sick.
Please help guys, but please don't shatter all my dreams! :)

Hayley.

Hello Kamsi here! I have a sister who runs a salon, and from what I can see its better to be professionally qualified... that way nobody can pull the wool over your eyes, mock you behind your back, or hold you to ransom with their skills...
Its also the same advice I read here too!
I'm new to beauty, but will learn all I can about nails before following my sister into the business!
The fast tracks don't take too long and from what I gather from this site, you can get some really good courses....
So take the plunge, its worth it in the long run!
All the best

I took my salon on with no qualifications. I bought a home course for beauty level 1,2 and 3. Obviously i wouldn't get insurance for this but i just wanted to know a bit about what my staff would be doing so i could explain things to the clients. In hindsight it would have been better had i got some qualifications as staff off sick and leaving really land you in the s***.
I now do spray tanning, spray tatoos, waxing and eyebrow and lash tints.Next week am doing intimate waxing course with Kim :)
I haven't done manis and pedis cos 1-i don't like feet and 2-i can't paint nails!!
Waxing is the main treatment in a salon so if you could do a course on this then that would be advantageous as you are going to be there all the time and 75% of my walk-ins are for waxing. If your beautician has a day off, week off or is sick at least you will be able to do the majority of walk-ins.
If you are prepared to put the hours in and are determined then you will be fine x

I'm not sure how much credibility you might have with potential clients...

Hi Hayley, one of the high street salons i worked in was owned by a husband and wife who had no beauty knowledge at all. They had a very profitable salon. It was very hard on us staff though! They would say how they wanted this that and the other, when, from a working point of view it just couldnt be done. As they didnt understand or have the knowledge, it cased problems!
I think it can work, but it needs lots of understanding and compromise from all! Good luck x

The salon i used to go to before i qualified was taken over by a manager who had no beauty experience or qualifications.
It seemed to put alot of the clients off however in my opinion if a client builds up a rappor with a therapist and knows how good the therapist is and is happy with them there should be no effect to your clients.
other things mentioned above like knowing that the therapist is following procedures and not taking advantage of you are things that you need to be aware of.

The salon i work in is owned by a hairdresser and the main thing that frustrates me is her not understanding the time each different treatment takes and that these can easily change dependant on the client.

I think aslong as you and your therapist are honest and respectful to each other you wont face a major problem

Good Luck!

Thanks for all your advice guys. I will be carrying out treatments myself but just not of a beauty nature- massage, reflexology etc. I'm used to carrying out these treatments and appreciate the fact that therapists need time to carry out their treatments. I've done a lot of research into beauty treatments so I'm hoping I can't be taken for a ride there. Angelina- did you have much trouble with your staff, are there any tips you can give me?
I have been considering doing just a fast track beauty course just so I can do the basics and know what I'm talking about. Do you think this is advisable?

Thanks!

The fast track course may be an idea however would you be working in the absence of the beauty therapist to cover her days off etc?
If this is the case you may find that the regular clients will wait for their usual therapist to return ,like i said earlier clients normally build a rappor with a therapist and some will only go to that particular person so you might be wasting your time, however on the other hand if you are going to start doing beauty treatments aswell as the therapist you employ then obviously you would build up your own clients.

Another thing to bear in mind is the fact that fastrack courses can be very misleading and in most cases a waste of your time and money.
If you are going to be doing beauty treatments you need a thorough course and plenty of practice and support from your course provider during and after you have qualified.

This is the issue i had with my nail technician qualification and if you read some of the other threads there are alot of cases of people completing fasttrack courses only to find they havent learnt anything more than what they already knew!

Have a search on here to get information about the course provider and the content etc before you book anything,you will only get honest answers and opinions and it might save you time and money in the long run

Thanks Pink 7.
I am now looking into doing a fast track training course in waxing, manicure and pedicure and lash and brow treatments. These courses are available early next month and as I will not be open unitl the beginning of the summer (most probably!) this should give me some time to practise hard to perfect these treatments. I will then do a conversion course will creative so they can show me the way even more so! I am now intending to pitch in with these beauty treatment even when my therapist is there so I can build up a bit of a rappor with any regular clients. This is so when my therapist is away, my clients will not be completely alienated!
I would say these seem to be the most popular treatments in most salons, what do you guys think? Also, do you think my plan is now a better one?! xx

Also thanks angelina!
Your advice has helped a lot and now, as you can see from my last post, I am looking into doing some courses. Do you use the PHD waxing system? If so I have just posted a thread about it, is there any chance you could take a look for me?
Thanks!
xx

Yes staff are a nightmare. Honestly i wish i had qualified before i opened. No-one is going to put as much time and effort into your business as you are. I have had staff leave, turn up late, not turn up, steal etc.......
Waxing, eyebrow and lash tints and manicure and pedicure are the main things to train in, then just add on things as and when you can afford it. If you can do a beauty course then all the better.
I've lost clients because there has been nobody here to do the treatments so i trained to do the main ones. I have people that come in as and when to do the treatments i can't do but i will train in them myself eventally.
I currently do spray tanning, spray tattoos, waxing and eyebrow and lash tints and that covers most of my clients. Other treatments people tend to book in for rather than walking in so i can arrange for one of the other girls to come in.

Thanks angelina.
I am going to do spray tanning myself too. Sienna x, good choice?? So all in all I will be able to cover basic manicure, pedicure, eyelash tint, eyebrow tint, eyebrow shape, waxing and spray tanning plus the holistic massage treatments I am trained in. Do you think this will be enough to get the ball rolling?
I really want to succeed in this, I just hope I can get a therapist on board who is willing to up her game from the usual 9-5!
Wish me luck :) Your salon is doing well then. How many staff do you employ currently, if you don't mind me asking! xx

Wish me luck

It's more down to determination, dedication and desire than luck.
I've found that the harder I work, the luckier I get!

Fair enough Calla. Good job I'm a grafter then! You don't get anywhere in life unless you're one of those...

why not take on 2 part timers or have someone that comes in once a week but is willing t cover for sickness/holidays etc?

I think that if you have done a couple of beauty courses that would be enough to have a better understanding of the business. Stick to what you do best, running the shop and doing your holistics.

Latest posts

Back