Non-acrylate glue for nail art between salon visits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liron

Reaction score
Hi Ladies (and Gents!)

I haven't posted here for a few years - it's nice to be back.

I have a question regarding glue suitable for nail art use on acrylic nails. I get my nails done at the salon without any polish or art and love to do my own nail art at home. Normally, I paint my own designs or use decals, however recently I've developed an interest in Japanese "decoden" nails - these are small 3D cabochons made of acrylic or polymer, which are glued to the nails as-is. Here's a google image search.

So, here's the catch - as I mentioned earlier - I have acrylic nails. Most (all?) nail glues are acrylate-based, which means that if I want to remove the decorations from my nails before going to the salon for a refill, I'd have to use acetone. I don't want to be using acetone, since this will dissolve the acrylic on my nails.

I'm basically looking for a non-acrylate glue which is not water soluble. In the best-case scenario, It'd be a glue which can be removed with acetone-free nail polish remover (or peeled off). So far my search has led me to find only double-sided tape, but I'm looking for something a bit more durable.

Any ideas? :)

You could try PVA - Poly Vinyl Acetate - (Art & Craft adhesive)

It's stronger than double sided tape, but will break down in water over time...

You can use acetone on your L&P enhancements, just don't keep it on there for too long! I don't use acetone-free polish remover on my clients, but I do retail it - when used in moderation acetone dries quick enough to not ruin the enhancements.

You could even ask your tech to use a buff-off gel topcoat like NSI Glaze 'n' Go and put the gems on top with nail glue. The acetone won't penetrate the topcoat when you remove them :)

xx

Thanks a lot! I've picked up a product called Fixo Gum, which looks similar to what I'm looking for. I'll report back :)

Latest posts

Back