Non-paying customer!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_0

Reaction score
Hi to everyone here!

I have been reading various threads and you all sound v professional and I am glad I have found others who share my passion.
I have been told to visit this site because i was talking over a problem i had with one of my clients to a mate, and she sed to come here.

Well, this client i had originally had a full set of acrylic nails and because she introduced a friend she had a half price balance a while later (like an incentive scheme). All was well until she cancelled her next appointment (at full price) claiming that she didnt need them re-doing for a bit yet and she would call later when they did. well she didnt until 2months after 1st appointment and said she would like her nails put back on.

So this is the sticky bit, I completed the enhancements and when it came time to pay, she said she didnt have any cash on her and could not afford to pay! Well i said do you have a cheque or Ill come back on my way round the next day to collect it. I did go round the next day and she gave me a cheque in an envelope. when i opened it at home, the cheque was dated 3 days in advance so i couldnt cash it instantly because i had to wait until it was that day dated on the cheque, plus 3 days clearing time.

so anyway, has anyone ever had a non paying customer and what did u do? plus do you think I should continue treating her or should i warn her about payments etc? Please help as this had never happened before!

Thanks v v much!

Bloody cheek of some people. Some body else had a similar prob on here recently. If it were me and she couldn't come up with the money then I would have clipped all the tips off there and then and left her with the mess to sort out. I wouldn't have her back personally, but if you do then state she will have to show the readies before you start work. She committed a criminal offence tantamount to shoplifting as she had no intention to pay you when she came in, you would have been fully entitled to call the police.

OK, the post dated cheque thing is something that she would have to deal with with her bank - they would not take too kindly to her writing cheques if she could not afford it. I would have banked the cheque straight away and make sure her card details are on the back then you get the money and she gets the bank charges.

Looking at it from a completely lawful point of view what she did was tantamount to stealing - she got something knowing full well she was not going to pay.

I would be up front with her the next time she books and let her know that no pay no way!

Would she go to Tescos and fill her shopping trolley and say to the checkout girl - here is a cheque but you can't do anything with it until a week next Tuesday - you are not running a charity - but a business.

I can't believe that people do this!!! They wouldn't go into a shop and say "i'll drop off the money in three days". :mad:

I haven't had anybody not pay, however, I wouldn't hesitate to cut a couple of the tips off before she had time to realise :D :evil: then at least she wouldn't have a whole set.

I don't offer discounts for recommended customers anymore, opting to give them a Solar oil or nail enamel as a thank you. I found if you offered a discount or didn't charge them for every repair, they took advantage.

Don't dwell on it, just learn from it. :hug: If she contacts you for another set, I would quote the price before you start.

HTH

Opps!!! Looks like peeps have already replied to your question.

Promise I didn't copy :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can bank post dated cheque straight away and the bank will process it immediately, in effect you cannot post date a cheque. But you should remember that if you do bank it straight away it will probably bounce as this is why she post dated it. Don't accept cheques without a card, no other businesses do, and if you feel that she might try this type of thing again you should refuse any service as even if you get the money eventually, it takes up too much of your valuable time and causes unnecessary stress.

Thanks for all your replies so far. In the end i did get my money when it cleared but I dont work in a salon so if i took her credit card details, how would i process the money into my account with out a debiting machine? usually i accept cash for all new customers and cheques from more regular clients.

I think next time i will have to ask for money first, does anyone else do this? I am one of those who hate the whole 'now thats so much you owe me' but like you said, this is my job and she wouldnt be too chuffed if her employer said that!

phew.. what a stress!!

GET RID OF HER QUICK SHARP. SHE'S A CON ARTIST. BET SHE'S A CHAV TOO (lol).

WHEN I WORKED IN A NAIL SALON, PEOPLE WOULD OFTEN PAY BEFORE THEY HAD THEIR NAILS DONE SO AS NOT TO DAMAGE THEIR POLISH BY GOING DOWN THEIR BAG FOR THE MONEY.

I KNOW IT'S HARD BUT YOU COULD REHEARSE A LITTLE SPEECH. HOW ABOUT "Would you like to pay me now and get your keys out ready so that you don't smudge your polish at the end?".

And REMEMBER, it's not personal to you. These type of people go from day to day doing stuff like this. She'll just go on to find a mug that stands for her old crap. Good luck sweetie.

I meant only accept cheques with a valid cheque card, this guarantees the payment up to the limit on the card. You write the card number on the back of the cheque along with the expiry date. This payment will then go through and if your client does not have the money in the bank she will be charged for this, but you still get yours.

Kimmi Rocks said:
WHEN I WORKED IN A NAIL SALON, PEOPLE WOULD OFTEN PAY BEFORE THEY HAD THEIR NAILS DONE SO AS NOT TO DAMAGE THEIR POLISH BY GOING DOWN THEIR BAG FOR THE MONEY.

I get this problem with customers who come for sugaring - but I can't ask for the money up front as there is no obvious reason for doing so! Shame!

I am hopeless with bad payers, because you form such a relationship while you are treating them, that I get embarrased to ask for the money until they offer to pay!!!! Just read that back to myself and realise it sounds really lame. :o

I have a few customers who regularly cancel or change appointments then 'forget' their purses/cheque books, but sadly I can't put the hair back in...:irked:

Any good ideas....?

This makes me so mad, disgusting that people think they can treat nail techs/beauticians like this :evil:

I hope when I 'go live' as a nail tech that I will have the balls to deal with people like this.

Could you ask for a personal item to keep as a deposit until they bring money in?

I like Sassy's suggestion of cutting some tips off!

Isn't it cheeky, imagine it....I'll have a big mac and small frys please, oops sorry Ronald i don't have any cash, have a nice day !!!!

I am sure there was a similar thread not long back and advise was given to send them a bill/invoice requesting payment, sounds good to me ....

xxxx

Hi all,

I do tend to ask for payment first or at least in the early stages as I am usually applying at least a base & top coat after the enhancements and therefore do not want to mess up their nails. Also - if they want - it is a good time to get their keys ready instead of searching in their bag later and put it all in a bowl beside the table so it remains in sight and isn't taken until their treatment is over. Never been a problem for me. I just angle it that I don't want to mess up their nails - which I don't - but it also avoids any awkward situations.

Works for me

Nailbabe
x

Just an idea

I think the best thing for you to do is ask her to pay in advance next time she comes in. Although you might feel like your are offending the client by asking this, she had no problem in not paying you straight away last time. Why should you work for free?

Kimmi Rocks said:
"Would you like to pay me now and get your keys out ready so that you don't smudge your polish at the end?".
damn good... I like it, infact I like it a lot... so much so that I'm going to steal it
(with your permission ofcourse) :D

scenario:-
....... lady walks into a famous high street chemist (not the shoe variety lol, you get my drift).... gets to the till after piling her basket high, to the approx value of a set of extensions........
checkout lady asks for the money........ ooooops sorry I can't pay you now, will you take a cheque, you can't cash it for 3 days but never mind eh!!!!!!!
checkout lady calls security..... security man tells her she is "havin a larf" and CANNOT leave the store with her products.......
yeppers you got it, she's taking the p**s and unfortunately you were her 'victim'.
sorry but Kimmi hit the nail on the head, kick her to the curb, who needs clients who can't pay?????????
x

Hi ya, i had a non payer just over 5 weeks ago and i was going to ignore it but after posting my thread and getting good responses back i persisted for it and she dropped the money off last week but it is a lesson well learnt. If you want to keep her as a customer although personally i wouldnt then maybe ask for a cash deposit when she books, i know a local salon to me require a desposit for any appointment booked x

Oh ok, well thanks for all your replies.I think I will call her in a few days to confirm her appointment and then mention that there is a new policy of paying in advance. (preferably in cash) lol. If this fails, il let you know!!

B x

Latest posts

Back